Rear axle 76 Aspen bearings run in oil or are packed with grease?

compubert

Reaction score
Sorry to say *but happy* I have never had to take the axles out on my Dodge, but I now get a mild roar after 30 miles and I don't believe it is the trans (4spd OD) as it keeps making noise without power applied, and in neutral too while coasting and stays relevant to the speed of the car. I just bought a gallon of 75/95 to refill the Differential if need but the oil still feels good when I get a "finger full" and rub it and of course there is no way to tell if gear oil is bad by the smell, it smells awful all the time. Still full from when I got the car in 83. I re-did the front carrier bearing in the tranny and replaced the seal about 8 years ago, the thing leaks and I keep it full or nearly so. Around town I don't hear a noise, SO - I was guessing the problem is the axle and I didn't want to waste the 25 bucks and labor to drain and refill if the bearings don't get the benefit of an oil bath. Any insight in this area would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. if I left out any information that would help answer the oil/grease question - please post or message and I will attempt to rsvp quickly... :dontknow:

slant6billy

Reaction score
I believe it is a 7 1/4 you have or is it and 8 1/4? I had 2 different 7 1/4 do that after new axle bearings. It hummed really bad. You might want to have a diff shop give you an estimate, or just buy the rebuild kit. I found out after a few weeks of the hum, it was a bearing in the diff and it was ugly when I opened the cover with metal in the bottom.

compubert

Reaction score
Thanks for the Insight, hope I don't find any loose parts in there when I get it open. Just didn't know if the axle bearings were grease filled or oil lubed so I don't have to open it twice. I have replace ring and pinion gears before, but in a Dana golf car rear end and a 68
Camaro - learned the value of shims there too. :)

lowbudget

Reaction score
Drive it til it starts to hum, pull over and feel where the bearings are. If you find a hot one you have found your problem.

compubert

Reaction score
I believe it is a 7 1/4 you have or is it and 8 1/4? I had 2 different 7 1/4 do that after new axle bearings. It hummed really bad. You might want to have a diff shop give you an estimate, or just buy the rebuild kit. I found out after a few weeks of the hum, it was a bearing in the diff and it was ugly when I opened the cover with metal in the bottom.

What do I measure to get the size, the pumpkin or the ring gear? I have not replace anything in there since I got the car in 1983...

LSM360

Reaction score
Sorry to say *but happy* I have never had to take the axles out on my Dodge, but I now get a mild roar after 30 miles and I don't believe it is the trans (4spd OD) as it keeps making noise without power applied, and in neutral too while coasting and stays relevant to the speed of the car. I just bought a gallon of 75/95 to refill the Differential if need but the oil still feels good when I get a "finger full" and rub it and of course there is no way to tell if gear oil is bad by the smell, it smells awful all the time. Still full from when I got the car in 83. I re-did the front carrier bearing in the tranny and replaced the seal about 8 years ago, the thing leaks and I keep it full or nearly so. Around town I don't hear a noise, SO - I was guessing the problem is the axle and I didn't want to waste the 25 bucks and labor to drain and refill if the bearings don't get the benefit of an oil bath. Any insight in this area would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. if I left out any information that would help answer the oil/grease question - please post or message and I will attempt to rsvp quickly... :dontknow:
Well, if you think it's a rear axle problem, I think you should come over (I am in Florida too) and buy my 8.25 out of a Dodge Diplomat Police car. It has 2.94 gears which are whisper quiet, big breaks which are in good shape, and for sale for only $75! :) I also have Police HD 5 leaf springs for sale that will go at a great price to anyone who buys the rear end.

slant6billy

Reaction score
If that cop rear is a sure grip, go and buy it for 75 bucks. That is a cheaper than the headache of not knowing. They are usually 200 bucks.

Back