Rebuild kit for 904, trans experts I need your help.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am getting a parcel ready to ship over from USA to NZ, I am also thinking to add a 904 rebuild kit, there are so many on ebay I am a dizzy duck. Can someone point me in the right direction to which one would strengthen my 904 trans to work ok in my Street car with mild 360 (I do no drag race) Some have red clutches some have bands some have hardly anything in the kit. Both 904s I have are after 1972.

Should I be looking for Kevlar band, red clutches and steel plates?

This is my search on ebay

904 rebuild kit kevlar | eBay

Grandmas84

Reaction score
Cope racing is where i buy all my stuff. Give them a call and they'll tell you everything you need to know. What parts to replace, what bands, ect. Your gonna need to know what year transmission you have also. Write the number down from the pan rail. It starts with pk.
--- Post updated ---
Do a little searching on forabodiesonly.com. Tons of info on there.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
When I built my 727 (re-build as well as replacement of all soft parts and valve body re-programming) I used SMR kit, specifically the SM225PS, you can find it here => Mopar Rebuild Kits

It is more expensive as compared to some of the other pieces, but the kit absolutely contains EVERYTHING you need...and sometimes that goes a long way to having a nice START & FINISH on a rebuild job.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Cope got back to me and recommended the street high performance kit, I asked them about the bands which are not included in the kit and they never said anything about them, I have emailed them again asking of if I would require new performance bands.

Thanks

Bruce

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Bruce:

Up front, I don't have a lot of expertise regarding transmission internals. I would like to ask if the transmission that came with your car is an A904, or an A998, or an A999? If my own cars are any indication, you should have an A998. While this is basically a A904 externally, it does have an additional friction plate (3 friction plates in an A904, 4 in an A998, and 5 in an A999). If it is an A998 or A999, and is in good shape (after being adjusted, which is very important) with clean transmission fluid, it may not need any rebuilding at all. Also, any of the A904/A998/A999 transmissions made from 1980 on have the lower first gear (2.74) vs. the earlier A904 family transmissions (2.45). The second gear on the post 1980 A904 transmissions is also marginally lower (1.54 v.s 1.45), but this may not even be noticeable in daily driving. Point being, it may not be a good thing to use the 1972 transmission with its taller first gear, and probably one fewer friction plate.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hello,

My 1983 Doba has a A998 in it, which is the trans I would like to keep in, its done 70,000miles and when I had it serviced was told it was in good shape inside. The 1972 Trans came with the 360, it has a balanced 360 converter on it. So maybe I could get away using the 998 (4 clutch pack on a street car) option 2 is just use it until it blows up :) I am not a racer, I am a 42 year old who likes to have the odd bit of spirited take off now and then. Just was thinking I could make it more reliable. Maybe the 998 will be fine behind a mile 360, anyone run a 998 behind a 360 before?

Thanks
Bruce

Aspen500

Reaction score
Some kits don't include bands. Bands don't tend to wear like the clutch plates do and a lot of times are fine as is. BUT,,,,,,,,,,,my thought has always been that you're in there anyways, do everything. Frictions, steels, bands, seals, bushings, etc, etc.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
yeah I was thinking the same! My gear box is 30+ years old! Not that parts will be worn but seals will be old and rubber parts don't last for ever!

80mirada

Reaction score
Use your original trans, rebuild with a quality kit (go with red clutches if you might upgrade your motor later) add an auxiliary cooler in line with the stock cooler.

Back