Red Beans and Cornbread

Justwondering

Reaction score
Today was the 2nd cool day this fall. Should be back up 10 degrees warmer tomorrow.
Made Red Beans (anastazi) and Cornbread (yellow and jalapeno).
Nice and warm in front of the tv sorting papers and watching the cowboys whip baltimore..

I need to go pitch hay to the goats and screw the metal side back on their hut. I won't get to see if they win or lose focus.

But hey, the goats will be warmer tonight and I'll have 1 less chore to do tomorrow.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Today was what you would call cold up here. Was out this afternoon raking up some leaves with a sweatshirt, heavy jacket, stocking cap and winter gloves. Still had to come in every 15-20 minutes and warm up :( High was only 28 degrees, thankfully no wind though.
Not much of a sports fan, unless it involves 4 wheels going in a straight line for a 1/4 mile or so :D I'll find out tomorrow if the Packers lose the game tonight. Not exactly a stellar year for them.:eek:
No red beans (never heard of those before) and cornbread around here. Suppose I'll need to decide on something for dinner. Being the gourmet chef that I am..........................Can't tell a lie, I'm about the exact opposite of a gourmet chef.:confused:

Justwondering

Reaction score
A normal person would PM me their address so I can ship you some good eats.
I promise, no left over turkey, but there will be cookies made this week.

Gotta have some sweets to balance out the beans and cornbread.

So explain to me why it is so important to remove the leaves if you have to dress up in 6 layers and work in 3 minutes shifts so you don't freeze... Don't you realize the earth needs a warm coat as well?

Justwondering

Reaction score
Dallas won... 9 W 1 L this season (rookie quarterback is great)

Packers are holding their own against Washington so far.
They just went ahead 10 to 7 with 3 minutes left in 2nd qtr

droptop

Reaction score
My dad always said "God put those leaves there, he will take care of them when he is good and ready"

Aspen500

Reaction score
The Packers ended up getting their asses handed to them.
The leaves.............If you leave them (no pun intended) over winter, the snow and ice packs them down and they're almost impossible to rake up in spring. The lawnmower won't suck them up to be mulched either. In other words, it makes one huge friggin' mess and not being even the slightest bit religious, I take care of them myself. Just like to have my yard look as neat as possible. It by no means looks like the yards along Lakeshore Drive, 2 blocks away at the end of my street, but it ain't bad. Can't afford in ground irrigation and $500/month for a gardener to take car of it all like those people can (i.e. wealthy people). Heck, I'd have a hard time affording the front door on some of those places along the lake shore (hence the name of the street):eek:

Justwondering

Reaction score
Very different for me.
Trees drop leaves.
Leaves degrade.
Makes more dirt.
But then, I don't have next door neighbors or lawns to mow-- nor the snow and ice for weeks on end.
Just be safe and stay warm... sounds like you've got the details figured out.

And -- I'm glad you live where you do, cause you come to this forum ... if you lived a couple of streets over, we would never have met. :p

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Oh ... I've waited long enough! ... beans beans the musical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot, the more you toot the better you feel, so eat beans at every meal ......... I'm sure there is more but that's all I can remember.
Ya get the feeling I love beans ... lol

As for the leaves .. if the winds of Nov. blows before the snow falls, it'll clean up the yard .. unless the farmer out behind plants corn(every 3rd. year) .. then I get corn husks and more .... but I don't mind .. Farmers feed the world !!

Justwondering

Reaction score
Like I said...without an address I can't ship anything...
Course, my beans now have to be heart friendly so you have to add your own sodium chloride, bacon grease, and ....

Back