Replacing early77/76 trunk floor in wag. to use later size gas tank

slantman

Reaction score
Here is pictures of my solution to the lack of availability of 76
brown wag tank area 012.jpg
brown wag tank area 011.jpg
brown wag tank area 001.jpg
early 77 gas tanks/senders. A trunk floor from a 86 Fifth. has just about the same dimensions with a few extra pieces added inside (easy to remove) a pic of the comparison with the wagon floor intact, the fifth out to ck. final measurements. the old cut out and the new welded in ready for paint.

brown wag tank area 012.jpg

brown wag tank area 011.jpg

brown wag tank area 014.jpg

brown wag tank area 001.jpg

slantman

Reaction score
Tank and sender installed, rear quarters repaired woodgrain removal begun (what a PAIN), rear interior somewhat improved.
DSCF0814.jpg
DSCF0817.jpg

DSCF0814.jpg

DSCF0817.jpg

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
Good solution. I have suggested that to more than one person looking for a 76-7 tank/sender.
Good move not trying to use the full pan. Saved yourself a lot of work and the ps seam would not have lined up with the trunk extension.
You also gained some storage space!

slantman

Reaction score
Jim, I also used the fifth ave RR quarter from the lower body line down...'LOOKED" LIKE A DROP IN BUT....ONLY THE INNER PORTION WAS IDENTICAL... for those who try this the lower width is approx. 1 inch wider thus the curve slightly less and the forward , wheel well area is also an inch wider...my solution was to drill out the forward protion at the spot welds then slice the remainder of the box to remove the inch and installed the inside first then the outside and last reweld the wheel well protion back after triming down to fit. I'm sure there is a better way (factory patch panel??) but that was my solution.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
IM walruses you didn't center the tank (move it to the right one rib) so you can run duals out the back

slantman

Reaction score
No need for me to have duals with a slant...I did cut the fill pipe and connected with a flex piece in case F body wagons get to be uber collectable and I'm offered insane $$$ with a moved tank:icon_razz:

slantman

Reaction score
Further progress on the wagon R&R, woodgrain
brown progress 006.jpg
brown progress 007.jpg
removed, high build primer and on to the complete "repaint"

brown progress 006.jpg

brown progress 007.jpg

slantman

Reaction score
Easter Sunday drive/ test...."new" paint did not blow off :icon_rolleyes: Now to spend the summer searching for the various clips to reinstall the trim...Or two sided tape or??? Then the conversion to a fifth ave dash. Never ends???
038.jpg
062.jpg

038.jpg

062.jpg

slantman

Reaction score
engine 016.jpg
engine 009.jpg
tntn1.jpg
Latest pics of wagon with "almost" all the trim installed... Need 10 clips, chry. #6003332 to properly finish or stainless screws and two sided tape will be the final solution. Next will be the Fifth Ave dash with some aftermarket gauges. May have this thing done for Turkey Run!!!???

engine 016.jpg

engine 009.jpg

tntn1.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
slantman:

in the shop photos, you have snowflakes on the car. Are these just wheel covers, or are they full cast/forged wheels? I think they are right up there with the 5 on 5s for best looking Mopar wheels ever.

Kostas

My imp

Reaction score
I love those snowflakes! Those are THE best looking wheels for an Imperial. I only wish I could get them in a 17"-18" or 18"-19" combo.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I think they bring a touch of elegance to any car they are on. They work really well on the Imperial, but I think that they would look good on most of our cars (F, M and J). To my eye, they work best on darker colored cars, but are nice looking wheels on just about anything. With some polishing of the bare aluminum spokes/rims, they can look as good as any aftermarket wheels, or better. The 5 on 5s, when polished up, are right up there, too. Different looks; the snowflakes look elegant, the 5 on 5 look more agressive/hot rod. To each their own.

Kostas

Back