"Resto-Mod 5 on 5 Spoke Wheels"

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Hey guys: I put refinished 10-Spokes on the Cordoba that is currently at the body shop, I really like them. That left me with the original set of 5-spoke wheels. I took them to my refinishing shop, and they had concerns that they wouldn't be able to refinish this particular wheel. Sure enough, they called me, and said they simply couldn't without possibly wrecking the wheel. I wanted to do something with them as they were really pretty dingy and pitted. We decided to do a "hyper-silver" coating on them. I don't know, they turned out okay. Maybe if I painted the inside triangles black, they might look better. They'd probably look better with tires mounted on them, too. I just applied NOS "Chrysler Corporation" decals to the centers.

I don't really have a plan for these wheels right now. If I ever buy a Graphic Red Mirada or Cordoba, I think these would look really great, especially if one blacked out all the trim (I've seen a car or two with blacked-trim, it really modernizes the look.)

On a final note, if someone /REALLY/ wanted to buy these, I could be talked into parting with them, but I'd probably ask for more than they're worth. In other words, I'd entertain offers. Pictures:

20150302_143053[1].jpg
20150302_143100[1].jpg
20150302_143112[1].jpg
20150302_143121[1].jpg

20150302_143053[1].jpg

20150302_143100[1].jpg

20150302_143112[1].jpg

20150302_143121[1].jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
There was a picture on here of the same wheels with the top 5 spokes polished out, and the lower set of spokes painted gray (may have been factory gray). I think it was jasperjacko who did them by hand polishing them out. They looked fantastic. He chose to polish them out to a mirror like finish on the rim and the lop 5 spokes, taking away the machining marks (I like them, so when I do mine, I am going to try to leave them there). Might want to do a search for them.

I think the best/easiest way to get the old paint off is by crushed glass abrasive blasting. I did contact Eastwood about that, and that is what they said. The aircraft stripper doesn't do anything to the wheel paint, and Eastwood also said that.

Kostas

P.S. Where did you get the NOS Chrysler labels/stickers?

P.P.S. There is a picture of JasperJacko's polished out 5 on 5s in this link:

http://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/classicmopar/showthread.php?2313-Are-these-5-on-5-Knockoffs

Last edited:

Cordoba1

Reaction score
P.S. Where did you get the NOS Chrysler labels/stickers?

Valley Vintage, $10 Per, Part #4126519 (Easy to find via PartsVoice.com, as well.) $10 was the best price I could find.

As an aside, the same refinishing shop did a spectacular job on the 10-Spokes I bought via Craigslist:

20141008_192616[1].jpg

20141008_192616[1].jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The 10 spokes look really nice; they got a really good shine on them.

I don't understand their not wanting to do your 5 on 5s; shouldn't be any harder, and in fact, probably easier to do, as they only need to do the top, thicker spokes. I don't run a professional metal polishing shop, so I may be missing something here, but the 10 spokes look like more work than the 5 on 5s, assuming you only want to t5 top spokes polished up.

Thans for the label pointer, I will follow up with that.

Kostas`

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I like pretty much all of the alloys that Chrysler had for the J bodies. My favourites go back and forth between the 5 on 5s (factory available on Cordobas), and the snowflakes (normally found on Imperials in the J bodied cars). I think the 5 on 5s are really sporty, and see them as best suited for Cordoba LSs and Miradas, and the snowflakes, being somewhat more formal/conservative, work best with Cordobas and Imperials.Odd thing is, the 5 on 5s were never offered by the factory on Miradas, and I don't think the factory offered Cordobas with the snowflakes.

And don't get me wrong, I like the 10 spokes just fine as well, just have a preference for the 5 on 5s and snowflakes.

Kostas

GaryS

Reaction score
I stripped and sealed a set of 10 spokes with clear POR, and wish I hadn't. The instructions said not to thin the material, but it was too thick to spray and it ran when brushed. I had to remove the thick coat and then thin the material before it would spray, and even then it looks uneven. Your painted wheels look much better.

I love the ten spoke design and mine are going on a '56 Plymouth Fury, so I painted the inside spokes gold. I like that part, but not the POR epoxy clear!

Back