Retirement!

Aspen500

Reaction score
In 16 more business days, I will officially be retired. After 40 years of being an auto tech, it's time to hang up the tool box professionally and use it for hobby purposes only.

The way cars and trucks have become, my body just can't do it 8 hours a day, 5 days a week anymore, and mentally don't WANT to do it anymore. Bunch of mobile networked computers and constant electronic and electrical problems. The way they're designed and built, they're next yo impossible to actually work on. For example, when you have to remove the front doors to replace a frigging heater core (Ford Fusion), or replacing a water pump is a 16 hour job, it's time to GTFO. NO MORE! Just turned 59 last month and am afraid if I'd gone another 5-10 years my body would be so shot, I couldn't do hardly anything, or I'd go insane(r), lol.

So, as of March 31st, I'm free!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
A little visual. About 4 hours into a 24 hour job of replacing the engine in a 2016 Chevy Traverse 3.6L. I promise, there really is an engine under all that crap! Now you understand what I meant :)

20230106_095352.jpg

20230106_095342.jpg

20230106_095402.jpg

20230106_095412.jpg

Justwondering

Reaction score
Thats grand news!
I hear what you are saying. My friend bought a new ranch truck about 3 years ago. It needed to go in for an oil change.
They literally had to pull the truck apart to get the change done.
JW

Camtron

Reaction score
Congratulations, well deserved. My neighbor asked me to replace the water pump on his ‘16 Cadillac; I couldn’t have said “no, absolutely not.” anymore flat and blunt. Not how I want to spend my free time after a 50 hour work week.
I worked on class 8 trucks for Conway freight/XPO logistics and on diesel equipment at, O’Hare for years and I can and enjoy working on older cars but, I couldn’t imagine working on newer passenger cars day in and day out. Just for the things like you mentioned; Doors off for heater core, wheel off to replace battery, starters mounted under intake manifolds. Then top it off with electrical issues and part shortages straight out of manufacturing and it’s not surprising shops are getting back logged a month+…
I digress, cheers congrats.

dm330

Reaction score
Congratulations! Enjoy your time, you've earned it.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm really, really looking forward to it. Newest I own is a 2008 Mustang, and that's as new as I ever want to go. It's a base model without 8 million electronic "features" to give trouble, not even ABS. The past 10 years especially, have seen new cars and trucks go down the toilet. Don't even get me started on EV's, lol.

In the years to come it's going to be real problem to get a car repaired and maintained. Last numbers I heard were for every 6,000 techs that retire (like me), or otherwise leave the business, there's only 600 new techs to take their place. It's been that way for more than 20 years now.

Anyways, thanks and hope the next 3 weeks go by fast :) I'll finally have the time to do the million things that need done around here at home. Some are looooong overdue.

Certain car things can't be done at home, like alignments or A/C discharging/charging, etc., but I know an excellent shop to do that type of thing ;) First thing this spring, once ALL the salt is washed away, alignment on the Mustang. Weather turned last fall before I got a chance to do it myself. Good reason to go down and visit the boys.

Last edited:

69-

Reaction score
Great to hear and wishing you all the best. For me its another 173 days till free :cool:

And.I agree. My newest vehicle is a 99 SL500, already a little too much gizmos in there. But the lebaron is on stand by.
;)

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Congratulations on getting out of the rat race!

And, sure, absolutely no one ever discharges or charges an A/C system in their driveway..... nope...... never ever.....

Aspen500

Reaction score
You know what's going to be a bonus? Not having to drive down there (15 miles) on days like this where it snowed 4" (or sometimes 6", 12"....) overnight and it's still snowing now.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Thought it'd be the same for me but a combination of an excellent financial advisor, being sort of a cheapskate, going without some things, managing to have zero debt, the moon being in the seventh house, Jupiter aligning with Mars, and the Fates coming together, now I'll actually be able to live (!), and start at 59 instead of 65 or 70. I can finally stay home and get some work done, lol. Trust me, there's enough to do on the house, yard, shop, etc to keep me busy for years. Alot of things that are hard or impossible to do evenings and weekends only. Plus, after working on cars and trucks 45 hours a week, by the time Saturday rolls around, you're too tired and everything hurts, to do much. Every year older I get, only makes it worse. In 3 weeks however, it'll be much different! If you're young yet, eventually you'll know what I mean :)

Oh yeah, most importantly, more time to do things on, and drive, the Aspen. Last summer it only had 15 miles added to the odometer. Unacceptable!

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
52 now. Been working since I was 13 under the table until 15, then I was able to get a work permit. I worked that first job almost 11 years. Been at my current job now 29 years more. No where near retirement, that's for sure.

volare 1977

Reaction score
Congrats. I retired at 58 and am happy I did. It was just in time for me to work on lining up all my doctor appointments.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Lucky so far,,,,,,other than quite a few medical appt's when I severed the tendon for my right index finger at work Nov 2021, it's pretty much just twice a year, knock on wood. Darn finger has never worked the same after surgery to do a graft to reconnect the tendon, along with alot physical therapy visits afterwards. Strength never came back that well. Pushing the button on a spray can sucks now.

Worked at Sears Auto p.t. in 1983, went to a Ford dealer in the next city to the north until 1989, when I moved to a Ford dealer a couple blocks from where I work now in Mosinee on the far southside, Smith Bros Ford, until Nov 2007 when it closed suddenly and without notice on a Friday at 5pm. Then made a HUGE mistake and took a job as an Audi dealer tech. Only thing good about it was, it's less than a mile from home (no real commute) Then in 2012 I had to get the bleep out of that hell hole no matter what. Got hired at Martin's Auto Repair and now, in 2023, I'm retiring from the best place I've ever worked in my entire life. Love the place I do my job, not so much what I do there anymore.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Congratulations!!

I'm 40 with only six more years to a full 30 in the state pension system with full benefits. I'm pulling the eject lever as soon as my ass crosses the finish line. Not enough days on this rock to spend it all working.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
My friend: big congrats to you on this occasion, and for having done the hard work to get to this point!!!

So what's the first big "Mopar" project you're thinking of?

Aspen500

Reaction score
I retired at 57, best decision I’ve made.
I feel the same about the decision.

My first Mopar project will be giving some attention to my winter DD, a.k.a 96 Dakota. It needs a lttle more rust fixing, again. Since I won't need to drive to work and can avoid driving in the snow, salt and slop all the time, it's going to last much longer. Makes it worth repairing now, and will have time to do it without rushing like with the rust repairs a few years ago. In other words, I can do a better job.
Less than 12 business days to go!!!!!!!!

20221016_141350.jpg

20221016_141410.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Since business usually slows down around tax season, I've been sort of on part time, as needed, since I'm retiring. My boss and I decided I may as well do it now vs end of next week so, retirenent is official. Soon the tool box will come home and part two of life will begin :) It'll take some getting used to but, I'll adapt.

Back