Right side racing remote mirror question

volare 77

Reaction score
What year did the start putting this warning on the mirror glass. (Objects in mirror are closer then they appear) I found a NOS mirror for my car but I never seen one with this warning on it.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no accurate answer.

I do know the driver’s side has said that for years (decades) but usually not for passenger side – but that has changed a bit more recently (again, decades ago).
BudW

volare 77

Reaction score
Are volare/aspen sport/racing mirrors the same all the way up to 1980 or is 1980 different? Also are cordoba sport mirrors the same as volare? Some sellers on ebay are saying the are the same but I don`t see where the part numbers interchange.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
20160429_112004.jpg

It is hard to tell, but this ’80 Volare wagon has chrome sport (or bullet) mirrors on it – which appeared to be original, at a local pull-a-part.
I went back to the car to get the mirrors and some yahoo had taken a crescent wrench (I think) to the upper door panels and pulled them outwards enough to get hands between the outer and inner door skins (ruining both front doors (and trim) in the process). Then took wire cutters and cut the cables! On both doors!

I hadn’t tried – but I do not see any reason why the normal round mirror (cable or manual), the Sport/Bullitt mirrors and rectangular mirrors (M-bodies) would not all be interchangeable for the most part (on F and M bodies).
The same might also apply to J-body – but I don’t remember enough about them to say for sure.

On the question about B-body mirrors: There are two aspects that might be a problem. I would think the newer B-bodies have the same side angle as F/M-body – but the older ones might not be so.

The next aspect would be cable length – especially on the Right side.

I included the part numbers on this post https://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/classicmopar/threads/chrome-pass-side-racing-mirror.7175/#post-79678 .
BudW

DCAspen

Reaction score
January of 1980 I believe is when the lettering on the pass side mirror 1st appeared due to Govt. regulations,like headrest and side marker lights in 1968.76-79 B-Bodies mirrors are the same as F & M mirrors.All F & M mirrors interchange .Do you have the part # for the NOS mirror with the lettering on it?

volare 77

Reaction score
When you say interchange , do you mean there is some difference but it will still fit? I don`t understand why Chrysler would have had different numbers if B body and F body were the same. Must be a difference somewhere. Unless the part numbers are superseded and I`m not seeing it.

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don`t understand why Chrysler would have had different numbers if B body and F body were the same.
I'm pretty sure that mirror body's are the same, BUT cable lengths are different lengths.
Having a longer cable is not the same as having too short of a cable.

My guess (but no measurements to say for sure) is an F/M body Right side mirror would have a longer cable, then a B-body would have.
I would also guess the opposite would be true for the Left mirror - so B-body Left mirror cable would be longer than F/M-body.
Again - that is only my "guess".
BudW

Edit: this may or might not help – but I do have a pair of NOS F-body Sport/Bullet mirrors in my garage. I can go measure the cable lengths and post the results here.
Now what the measurements would be for B-body – I can’t help on that issue.

Last edited:

volare 77

Reaction score
I have the cable length for the F body but not the B body. I asked the seller to measure the cable. I`ll see what he says.

volare 77

Reaction score
How hard is it to replace the mirror glass on this style mirror? I don`t like the wording/warning on the mirror glass and if I buy it I would want to replace it.

Back