Right Turn Signal

dytch2220

Reaction score
Hello,

I've never had to mess with repairing a turn signal before so I'm looking for guidance before purchasing any parts. Left works fine but right does not catch, however, if you hold it in place firmly the signal does flash. I looked at a parts diagram and see there is a cam you can purchase which seems like a logical place to start. Any other insight or recommendations?

Thank you,

-Nate

DCAspen

Reaction score
Broken tab on the blinker switch,just replaced mine in my '77

dytch2220

Reaction score
Thank you. Since I've never done this before, are any special tools needed to replace this? What does it involve? I'm guessing removing the steering wheel is necessary for example.

P.S. - I'm ordering a FSM soon and will make sure I have it before I start the repair. I'm sure it will answer most of my questions.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
It does sound like a bad turn signal switch.
They to make replacement “cams” for the switches but they are not easy to replace.
In my opinion – it is better to just get a new switch and replace it.

One thing you mention is what year your car is, later on.
I recommend you put that information as your signature – for others to help with for future postings.

Basically there are four different design turn signal switches: ‘76-79 with or without Tilt, and ’80-89 with or without tilt.
Even then, there are a few wiring pigtail differences over the years (which the pigtail part is easier to replace – sometimes).
4221304 w/Tilt without/cornering lamps
4221305 w/Tilt w/Cornering lamps

Part 4221304 has been superseded to 4373295 – and it shows to still be available from Chrysler for $142.00 (US).
Part 4221305 has been superseded to 4373344 – and it shows to still be available from Chrysler for $135.00.
All four part numbers show to be available on eBay for less money. They might also be available at your local parts store, possibly (aftermarket)

For switch replacement - you can perform a “search” using my name (BudW) and turn signal switch and should find a few threads that gives instructions to switch replacement instructions.
BudW

dytch2220

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. Signature added.

I'm not really clear on what a cornering lamp is. I'm a total newb to the FMJ body cars. Is this the side marker light in front? Since my header panel and grille were changed out for a 5th avenue I don't have that part of the car to reference but there are two dangling amber bulbs behind the header panel as part of the lighting harness so does that sound like a "yes" to cornering lamp?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
You have a nice looking car!
According to a picture you took, you do not have cornering lamps (would be in the white circle, below, if you did).
You also do not have a front side marker lamp either (because of the header panel replacement.
gf002.JPG

Some states require cornering lamps – most states do not.
A cornering lamp is basically a fender mounted flashlight that shines in the direction you are turning – while the turn signals are on.

I found a couple of examples on a Mirada (J-body):
1981_dodge_mirada-pic-615643459936422566.jpg

Without cornering lamps (which is the type an M-body would have if your car came with/built with current style header panel on it).

Mirada s-l1600-55-e1467208122120.jpg

With cornering lamps. Note: the fender hole is made larger.
Pictures swiped from the internet.

For most year turn signal switches (your year might vary) a switch with cornering lamps will fit in the place of one without cornering lamps (but not the other way around).

Note: in some states, you might have to install marker lamps for car to pass safety inspection (by either using ones from a Diplomat/Filth Ave or install the correct header panel.
If I had to install markers (state requirement) – I would leave your existing header panel alone (it is not an easy job to change),
BudW

dytch2220

Reaction score
Thanks, once again Bud. Will let you know how it comes out. May be a couple more weeks before I spend the dough on a new switch.

Back