Ring and pinion 8.25

88_AHB

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I’ve been looking around for a good quality ring and pinion set for my 8.25. I’ve found that just about all the companies out there are made overseas. Also that some companies are owned by another. Anyone here had good luck with a certain company? Prefer a U.S. made product and looking to do either a 3.21 or 3.55 gear. I’ll most likely be using a sure grip limited slip or something similar. Thanks

Aspen500

Reaction score
US Gear is Made in USA (Chicago I think) and there may be others as well. Whether they have sets for an 8.25, don't know.
Here's a 3.21 new set for sale on this site. Says "Assembled in USA" on the box label which might mean MADE in USA(?) Not sure what there is to assemble on a ring and pinion set...........

FOR SALE - Chrysler 8.25” 3.21 gear and pinion

LSM360

Reaction score
I don't know country of manufacture, but I'm using a set of Yukon HD ring and pinion 3.21. I went with HD because I have a built 410 stroker. I have about 5 to 8 thousand miles and they've been VERY quiet (especially for HD gear set which tend to be noisier). I got them from Randy's Ring and Pinion. I have a sure-grip unit also.

88_AHB

Reaction score
I wasn't sure on yukon's origin as well, have had heard good things about them anyhow. I was debating between a sure grip or yukon LSD or the auburn LSD.

Camtron

Reaction score
I have A 3.21 USA gear set on a Suregrip. No issue at all. I’m fairy confident, RANDYS owns both Yukon and USA gear. The difference between the two is OEM quality vs performance aftermarket.
If you go to either Yukon or USA gears websites and go to their career sections, what you’d be applying for is a job with, Randys world wide.

5F01DC05-E192-4C84-847E-E382984F7389.jpeg

BDDBA9F2-0948-4B11-8B66-DB0656CD328E.jpeg

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I’ve been looking around for a good quality ring and pinion set for my 8.25. I’ve found that just about all the companies out there are made overseas. Also that some companies are owned by another. Anyone here had good luck with a certain company? Prefer a U.S. made product and looking to do either a 3.21 or 3.55 gear. I’ll most likely be using a sure grip limited slip or something similar. Thanks
Dr Diff has everything you need. Mopar 8 1/4" Ring and Pinion

88_AHB

Reaction score
So over the weekend I decided to look at a few 8.25's in some early-mid 90's dakota's at the junkyard. All the limited slips looked the same except for one. Now I realize they could of been rebuilt etc. over the years. My main question is, this particular carrier still a sure grip and would it be worth rebuilding and putting new clutches etc in? Is this one a different style than the trac lok find in these years of carriers?

This one looked different to the to others that it has springs and metal plates in between the spider gears and the others did not.

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

volare 77

Reaction score
The spring type are not serviceable and are no longer any good when worn out. Some people have done machine work to them to make them work again.

88_AHB

Reaction score
The spring type are not serviceable and are no longer any good when worn out. Some people have done machine work to them to make them work again.
Is the trac lok cone style normally found in a dakota are they serviceable? any advantages over one another other than serviceability? One perform or last longer than the other etc.?

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rustyratrod on FABO rebuilds the cone style units.
Is the trac lok cone style normally found in a dakota are they serviceable? any advantages over one another other than serviceability? One perform or last longer than the other etc.?

80mirada

Reaction score
The spring type are serviceable, if the manufacturer sells clutch sets. Cone type are considered non-rebuildable, but there a few people that do rebuild them.

88_AHB

Reaction score
I've found conflicting results for both the suregrip (spring type ) and trac lok ( cone style ) carriers on which could or able to be rebuilt.

Back