Rocker Shafts

plyduster360

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem getting rocker shafts to oil ductile adjustable cast iron rocker arms on an aluminum head and what's the solution? If I bolt the shaft to the head it seals. With the ductile adjustable rockers on the shaft the oil pushes out of the bolt not thru shaft. It's like the ductile rockers are creating back pressure.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
...With the ductile adjustable rockers on the shaft the oil pushes out of the bolt not thru shaft. It's like the ductile rockers are creating back pressure.

Hmm...explain this further please.

Which bolt is it pushing through? Are you referring to the pushrod adjuster? Different rocker arms have different arrangements for oiling, some will have a passage right through to roughly where the pushrod end meets the adjuster...others that I have seen have a passage much lower that looks like it should be squirting the oil onto the pushrods.

The Crane 1.6 ratio ductile iron rockers that I have here have:

1) passage right on top of the rocker arm, that's intended to oil the spring and teh rocker pad to valve tip

2) passage right to the adjuster bolt, but because of machining this passage continues out to the outside of the arm, so I suppose the pressure would push some of the oil through

I ran the Cranes for a little bit, but being a 1.6 ratio I ended up running into geometry problems (pushrods would not clear) and never used these further.

Can you post any pics?

Ahh, one more thing: shafts themselves? What kind are these? Do they have any banana groves in them?

plyduster360

Reaction score
Ty for answering 1st of all. Now, yes these are the banana groove shafts. Drivers side. Oiling holes pointed down notch down to front of motor. If I bolt shaft down bare it oil's shaft. If I have rockers on it, the 1.5 adjustable ductile steel mopar rockers it will not. Instead oil comes out from the second bolt hole from the front(oiling hole) and also the 4th.Right at the top of the shaft from underneath the spacer the bolt holds down. Almost like rockers are asking for to much oil pressure and shaft isn't sealing enough to head to provide it. If I bolt on stock stamped steal rockers it oils as intended. I can't use stock rockers because of the length of push rods and prelude required on Hydraulic lifter.

plyduster360

Reaction score
So I bought Harland Sharp rocker shaft clamps and that fixed the issue. They put equal clamping pressure on the shaft causing a more positive shaft to head seal as opposed to the stock Mopar spacer/hold down.

Ele115

Reaction score
I have never regretted buying Harlands or Trick Flow heads. I hate sending the money, but once I get over that, it sure is swell

Back