Rodney

Justwondering

Reaction score
Volareandgtcat ..
That
was
wonderful!

We've had a tough week here, but seemed to have turned the corner yesterday (husband/congestive heart failure). I showed him the clip and read him your comment. I thought he was gonna bust a gut laughing.

It was sooooo good to see him laugh.

I owe you one.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Volareandgtcat ..
That
was
wonderful!

We've had a tough week here, but seemed to have turned the corner yesterday (husband/congestive heart failure). I showed him the clip and read him your comment. I thought he was gonna bust a gut laughing.

It was sooooo good to see him laugh.

I owe you one.
Thanks .. but it was Aspen500 clip that triggered my memory of Rodney's joke .. lol ... gawd, I miss the oldies, like him, George Burns, Bob Hope P. Diller ... etc. etc..
Glad to hear you smiled and hubby is turning the corner ... growing old isn't for the meek ... but .. it beats the alternative ... 30 yrs. T1 diabetic here, and it's starting to catch up to me.

Justwondering

Reaction score
ahhh..
He's going on 10 years as t2 diabetic as well. We were battling erratic blood sugar this week.
Congrats on the 30 yrs.

The other day he made a comment about Johnny Carson and the two kids in high school we were standing with said 'Johnny who?'

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Johnny Carson. Hee Haw. The Honeymooners. Carol Burnett. I still watch them all. When they say they don't make them like that anymore they ain't kidding.

And then there's........

--- Post updated ---
And.....

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Johnny Carson. Hee Haw. The Honeymooners. Carol Burnett. I still watch them all. When they say they don't make them like that anymore they ain't kidding.

And then there's........

--- Post updated ---
And.....

I totally agree, Captain ... I feel very fortunate to have grown up during the best times ever !!

Aspen500

Reaction score
Crap, Captain and I are the same age.................
I always try to catch Johnny on Antenna TV (the digital over the air station). He's on M-F at 10pm (central) and 9pm on weekends. Full uncut programs. What I find funny (aside from the comedy) is when he does his monolog and you realize, the only thing that's changed in the world are the names. Otherwise it's about the same news (Middle East trouble, gas prices, the U.S. government...........)
Unfortunately Carol Burnett is on at the same time on METV (another digital o.t.a channel) but it's Carol and Friends, just a half hour show. Everytime there's a Corman/Conway skit,,,,,,,,,,,freaking hilarious!
Now, if one of those stations would get the rights to rerun Laugh-In, I'd be in heaven!

I agree, the greats are all gone now. The newer ones, even though they may (or may not) be funny, just aren't in the same league. Johnny, Dean Martin, Jackie Gleason, Rodney, George Burns, Jack Benny, Johnathon Winters,,,,,,,,,and the list goes on. I mean, who else but Jackie Gleason could play Sheriff Buford T. Justice? No one. Without him, Smoky and the Bandit wouldn't really be all that good. The first one I mean, even Gleason couldn't save part 2 and ESPECIALLY Smoky part 3. Think of Caddyshack without Rodney. He makes the whole movie. Looks good on you though, lol.

Speaking of Dean Martin. The 4 Matt Helm movies are some of my favorite of all time. When you look up "cool" in the encyclopedia, there should be a picture of Dean. They recently played the Matt Helm movies a few times on GET TV (on Dish Network) and they're as good as I remember them being. They wouldn't have been nearly as good with any other actor playing Helm.

Last edited:

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Happy Birthday to the Captain!

Man we are all in that 50's club! We've lived through the best of times, and the worst of times. The older I get the more I wish I had been born before these times.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Happy Birthday Captain! .... I just left the 50's club .. well a few months back that is ... I don't know how it happens but, dangnabbit .. I would of taken better care of myself if I knew I'd still be here ... lmao

Aspen500

Reaction score
Happy Birthday Captain! .... I just left the 50's club .. well a few months back that is ... I don't know how it happens but, dangnabbit .. I would of taken better care of myself if I knew I'd still be here ... lmao
Ditto! Part I really don't like is it seems like every year goes by faster than the last one did. Remember how having to wait 6 months to turn 16 so you could get a drivers license seemed like an eternity? Now 6 months is gone before you know what happened. Also remember when everything didn't hurt all the time? Ah, the memories, lol!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
First off. Thank you all so very much for the birthday wishes. You have no idea how much my head is pounding right now. Actually I think I'm still drunk. .....

Ditto! Part I really don't like is it seems like every year goes by faster than the last one did. Remember how having to wait 6 months to turn 16 so you could get a drivers license seemed like an eternity? Now 6 months is gone before you know what happened. Also remember when everything didn't hurt all the time? Ah, the memories, lol!

I have my own theory on this.
Life is like a record.....as in a vinyl record.
When you're 16 time moves like a 16 rpm record. At 33 it's quicker. Then a 45 and then by the time you hit 78 the days are just flying past you.

I asked my wife's 98....yes 98 year old grandfather if the days go faster for him at his age. He said they're like a blur.

What a wild little ride.

Aspen500

Reaction score
That reminded me of a scene in Grumpy Old Men (starts at 1:45) about how time passes by.
Also, there's an old guy in his 90's that brings his Buick (yeah, I know) in every couple months at work and he's like a real life Grandpa Gustafson. He's always "on" and it's one joke after another. The old guy is hilarious!

Back