Roof rail seals have a gap

shadango

Reaction score
Picked up some new Metro roof rail seals for the Volare at Carlisle and the son and I installed this past weekend.

Passenger side went fine.....seal just fine far as we can see.

But the drivers side....not so much.....about 6 inches along the top center of the window and then about 4 inches of the rear center edge of the glass doesn't seal. A gap that is about 1/8".

We figured that the glass may need adjusting...the door glass on my barracuda is adjustable in and out at the top so I assume so is the Volare.....and told the boy to try it..... but the boy started taking the door apart last night and got cold feet I guess.
smile.png

But before I send him on a wild goose chase, does this sound like a glass adjustment issue or a bad seal?

Aspen500

Reaction score
The glass can be tilted in and out at the top as well as in the opening and for height.
It gets to be tedious because adjusting one thing changes another, and adjusting that changes another.

The Metro seals are decent, and the only choice we really have but they are not perfect. The area at the top rear corner is too hard and really makes a total seal about impossible. I spent hours, literally, on mine and got them as good as physically possible but there's still air leaks. Part of the problem I have is the Steele door opening seals and their absolutely horrible molded end cap that makes a seal between the window opening and door seals impossible where the two come together.

You can also adjust the roof rail tracks, to a point, by loosening the screws and pushing them outwards a bit.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Had the same problem ... but along the vertical part of the door seal to glass ... I peeled the seal back and stuffed some rolled up foam lining I had saved for, I dunno .. just a pack rat. Still haven't got to the pass. side yet .. why fix what ain't broke, the drivers side had crumbled away mostly. Oh, and they still leak but only when spraying right at the windows, same as before .. lol

Aspen500

Reaction score
I honestly wonder how good they sealed from brand new. Bought my car when it was 7 years old with 72,000 miles, the seals looked fine yet at the time but it leaked air big time on the highway and leaked water if it rained hard while driving.

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
When I did mine they were a complete headache. Yes you can bring them in a little to adjust them but it is a real pain adjusting at the top are it was for me anyways. I spent many hours trying to get mine perfect they still are not sometimes when I wash the vehicle I half to be careful not to put to much water pressure at the top of the seal.

Only way to get it perfect is to find a complete NOS set and the chances of that are slim to none. The re pops they have now days seem to be to thick in the corners that is what I see anyways with Metro and Steele Products. But what can one do with a 39 year old vehichle but ride on. Thank You

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
I had a '78 Cordoba way back when and they have the same w/strip setup. All original seals and there was absolutely no wind noise from air leaks and even a direct shot from a hose nozzle (except right at the seal of course) and bone dry. Maybe the difference in build quality from a "luxury" car to an "economy" car such as f-body?

That is my goal in life, to find some way to get rid of the air leaks (i.e. wind noise). Probably require finding the pretty much unobtanium perfect NOS weather seals for both the doors and roof rails or having some company make correct seals that fit the way the should and work the way they should. Good luck on both counts, right?:eek:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder who made the weatherstripping to begin with, for Chrysler?

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
AFAIK, the last NOS roof rail weather stripping was sold in 1999 on Ebay and I missed out.

Same yr I got the Metro one for my 79 Lebaron.
I FARKED for hrs trying to adjust the doors and glass, but the glass still wouldn't sit right.

So I went back to ground 0 on the adjuments and tried 80 Lebaron and 77 Aspen roof rail w/s that I saved yrs ago and they worked perfect, so I used the best pair I had

Sold my Metro's to a guy in Finland, even making sure he knew of my problems with them.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I have a set of used ones.

Been thinking with a small brush, gluing/contact cement any cracks, then buying some 'Flex Seal'
It's a rubber/flexable coating.
Maybe a couple thin coats and try it out.
Just have to make sure the surface is clean
Flex_Seal.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Worth a shot. If it doesn't work out, you can always build a boat out of window screen and use up the rest of the can:D

Back