Roof Repaint?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It appears the color (finish) on my Fifth's vinyl roof is leaving.
Can I paint this with vinyl paint to try to save it?
Or am I rapidly approaching new roof time?

2014-05-26172351.jpg

2014-05-26172426.jpg

NoCar340

Reaction score
You can repaint it. Clean it very well with soap & water, rinse it, and allow it to dry. Obviously, you're going to want to mask off anything you don't want sprayed. I would suggest SEM products if you can get them. They work very well and come in rattle cans. Use their vinyl & leather prep first for best results, then spray on some fresh color.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
You can repaint it. Clean it very well with soap & water, rinse it, and allow it to dry. Obviously, you're going to want to mask off anything you don't want sprayed. I would suggest SEM products if you can get them. They work very well and come in rattle cans. Use their vinyl & leather prep first for best results, then spray on some fresh color.

Excellent!
Thank you Sir.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Clear silicone and a bondo spreader. There's not much else you can do for those, but it should slow them down a little.

NoCar340

Reaction score
There's not much you can do on something that old that hasn't been treated with a good protectant steadily... and no, ArmorAll is not a good protectant. It cracks dashes and browns tires, but hey, at least whatever you put it on is shiny underneath all the dust it suddenly attracts.

Obviously, I'm not a fan. :icon_biggrin:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
There's not much you can do on something that old that hasn't been treated with a good protectant steadily... and no, ArmorAll is not a good protectant. It cracks dashes and browns tires, but hey, at least whatever you put it on is shiny underneath all the dust it suddenly attracts.

Obviously, I'm not a fan. :icon_biggrin:

Never liked it myself.
Not big on plastering everything in a greasy film that eventually ruins all it touches...

My imp

Reaction score
For repairs, go to your local school bus garage. They have a vinyl that looks like Elmer's Glue, spreads with a spatula, heat with a heat gun, but before it completely sets, use the grain pattern sheet to "texture" the vinyl. Finish heat curing the vinyl, then paint with vinyl dye. Vinyl dye & paint won't stick to silicone. We used the stuff on seat repairs everyday until Ohio decided that no more repairing seats, replace the seat cover.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
For repairs, go to your local school bus garage. They have a vinyl that looks like Elmer's Glue, spreads with a spatula, heat with a heat gun, but before it completely sets, use the grain pattern sheet to "texture" the vinyl. Finish heat curing the vinyl, then paint with vinyl dye. Vinyl dye & paint won't stick to silicone. We used the stuff on seat repairs everyday until Ohio decided that no more repairing seats, replace the seat cover.

Thanks Larry....that's a cool idea.
I'll see if I can find a place up here and see what they say.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Armour All works by bringing all the plasticizers in the vinyl to the surface of the vinyl. The brown residue that you get on vinyl after long term use of Armour all is the plasticizers breaking down over time. The cracking is due to the plasticizers no longer being in the vinyl, so that the vinyl becomes brittle and loses its ability to flex. When there is a temperature change, the vinyl cracks instead of flexing.

The dust sticks to the plasticizers due to static electricity.

Kostas

kkritsilas

Reaction score
There are a few out there. The one that is best for interiors (and yes, it is open for debate, this is simply my opinion based on personal experience with my own cars) is Vinylex by the same people that make Lexol (the leather cleaner/conditioner). It doesn't last on the exterior of the car though, so for exterior, I use Meguiar's (Mirror Glaze #40, I think, the vinyl cleaner is #39). Neither product leaves a any silicone/greasy/overly shiny residue behind, and neither damages the vinyl long term.

Kostas

P.S. If you do go get Meguiar's products (any Meguiar's products), stick to the Mirror Glaze line. The Mirror Glaze line is Meguiar's professional line, originally intended for use in detailing and paint shops. The Crystal Glaze line is the consumer line, and is no better than run of the mill, Turtle Wax type products.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
There are a few out there. The one that is best for interiors (and yes, it is open for debate, this is simply my opinion based on personal experience with my own cars) is Vinylex by the same people that make Lexol (the leather cleaner/conditioner). It doesn't last on the exterior of the car though, so for exterior, I use Meguiar's (Mirror Glaze #40, I think, the vinyl cleaner is #39). Neither product leaves a any silicone/greasy/overly shiny residue behind, and neither damages the vinyl long term.

Kostas

P.S. If you do go get Meguiar's products (any Meguiar's products), stick to the Mirror Glaze line. The Mirror Glaze line is Meguiar's professional line, originally intended for use in detailing and paint shops. The Crystal Glaze line is the consumer line, and is no better than run of the mill, Turtle Wax type products.

Thank you Sir. :icon_thumright:

NoCar340

Reaction score
I've been using 303 Aerospace for about 20 years now. 303 doesn't attract dust and leaves no sheen; only the material's natural luster (or lack thereof). When I worked at Year One, way back in the rebuilt-core E-body dashpad days, it was the only protectant that would not void the warranty on the dashpads. Of course, at that time no one had ever really heard of 303, as it wasn't widely being sold as an automotive product. I believe the old bottles had a mil-spec number on them, but I know there is still a NATO NIIN number (01-577-9693) where it's specified as a protectant.

I haven't tried the Meguiar's stuff personally, so I can't attest to it one way or the other. Meguiar's makes excellent products, though, so I have no reason to doubt that extends to their interior treatments.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I've never heard of 303 myself...is it readily available or special order?
I do like Meguiars products and I know I can get those at my local Crappy Tire.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
I use the miquiars interior detailer in the Lincoln and love it as it doesn't leave a shine, just the natural finish, and it whips of glass and plastic easily and isn't greasy, but.....not sure how well it'll hold up to the exterior elements

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I use the miquiars interior detailer in the Lincoln and love it as it doesn't leave a shine, just the natural finish, and it whips of glass and plastic easily and isn't greasy, but.....not sure how well it'll hold up to the exterior elements

That's what I'm looking for as far as interior....thanks! :icon_thumright:
As far as protecting a painted vinyl roof....any ideas?
I need something to protect it without trashing the vinyl paint...

NoCar340

Reaction score
Carnauba wax? :icon_biggrin:

I've just continued to use the 303 on vinyl after recoloring it. The SEM stuff is more of a dye than a paint, particularly if you use their preparation products (cleaner and prep). It helps it soak in a little and really adhere.

Back