S.A.T.C actuator...where the heck is it?

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys;

My Gran fury appears to have suffered an SATC failure, probably the actuator. My senior citizen friend has expressed interest in buying the car from me, so I have to fix it.

How in the world do you get to it? I have the FSM in front of me and see where it SHOULD be, but there is all kinds of stuff in the way it looks like. I have the bezel off, glovebox out, dash top off...where do I head from here?

Thanks!

Rustyroger

Reaction score
I took the actuator out of my 1984 Fifth Avenue last week.
Quite a bit of stuff has to be removed but it's relatively simple.
I took the top of the dash off, lots of screws, have a jar or magnetic tray to keep them in.
Next remove the lower dash panel complete with glove box, be careful to disconnect lights and plugs as it comes out, there is a vent tube that houses the temperature sensor that needs to be detached too.
Then the right hand vent needs to come off, followed by a small shaped duct which feeds air to the vent.
Behind where the small duct was you should see an electric plug connected to a small black box. This is the actuator. In front of the box there is a 5/16"af screw holding the actuator down. Remove the screw and lift the box up and it should pull out, then you can take off the plug.

In my case the actuator was completely seized :(, the motor, the spindles that run a system of gears that turn the pivot bar on the blender, anything supposed to move. Also in my case the blender door spindle was seized too :(:(. I managed to free off everything and thought I had it working again. Well it did for a couple of days, then the motor quit :(:(:(.
If you need another actuator and find a supplier can you let me know where you got it please?. Even better if you can find a supplier willing to ship to England!. :cool:

Hope this helps,

Roger.

Last edited:

Poly

Reaction score
S.A.T.C. actuator ...motor, gears, spindle, pivot bar, blender...

what is a S.A.T.C. ?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
This picture is sitting in passenger side front seat, looking forward.
20140912_185711_690b.jpg

The yellow arrow is pointing to the A/C control head (or to radio). The dash top and glove box panels are removed, as well as the instrument cluster trim panel.

The pink circle is where the actuator is located at and it is underneath the metal cowl. There is a black triangle shaped plastic air duct that needs to be pulled out to gain access (and this duct – is easily forgotten to be placed back into position when going back together).

Pay no attention to the white or red circles (doesn’t apply to you, in this case).

Note: the servo motor can be tested with part unbolted from evaporator case and plugged in.

If the servo motor is the cause of failure and you are not able to find a replacement – there is an option to get the temp door back in operation, but it may require locating some (other) parts, first.

My ’86 Fifth Ave has a bad servo and all of the replacements I’ve found have all been bad (but I might have access to another one).
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Once you get the dash top removed – there is a good probability of accessing the SATA servo with Right lower plastic dash segment (dash half) still in place. That said, if you don’t know where items are exactly or where testing positions are at, I do recommend removing the Right lower plastic dash segment for first-timers.
BudW

Back