Sagging headliner

LocuMob

Reaction score
Any ideas how I can glue my sagging headliner in my Fifth Avenue? I came out to the car today, and realized the headliner was hitting my head. Looked up and yep, I've got a big bubble hanging above the driver's seat. Thinking the trim needs to call me off above the door, spray some glue and put it back together. Something from a craft store or the like good for what I'm looking for? Or will I open a can of worms and chase the whole headliner as it starts to sag elsewhere?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It sags because the foam backing of the cloth part has broken down with age. To re glue it you need to pull the headliner out and recover it with new material. Or be creative with something physical to hold it up.

69-

Reaction score
How about injecting some foam compatible glue (I. E. not eating/dissolving the remaining foam) with a needle at many points and pushing it up with some not too stiff cardboard?
Might that work?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Other than what Mikes5thAve said, you could use a pattern of metal head thumbtacks. Back in the early '80's a buddy had a 1970 Challenger RT/SE and his had the tacks when he bought the car. Seems to me they were chrome headed and had rows with tacks spaced a few inches apart. It worked and looked pretty good too. I had a '70 Barracuda Gran Coupe and opted for the remove and reglue method.

Camtron

Reaction score
I have a few “twist pins” holding up a small spot of my headliner. traditional pushpin/thumbtacks have a tendency to fall out of the headliner. The twist pins have a spiral/pig tail pin that screws into the headliner and really anchors them in securely. Just haven’t had the time or motivation to drop the headliner and re-glue it.

9CF8E185-D140-4DA1-8C5A-346F8BF657EC.jpeg

LocuMob

Reaction score
I was hoping to be lazy and do it in car, but it sounds like I'll pull the headliner and get some spray glue. The foam feels good, I felt around on the way home and nothing stood out as being loose or broken down. The thing was fine yesterday, but sure was dropping this morning. An easy fix, just when to get around to it.

Camtron

Reaction score
Plan on pulling it out and completely reupholstering it whenever you get to it. With the old glue still on the headliner and foam/fabric, getting the new adhesive to cure and dry all the way is a long shot. I ran into the same issue trying to spot fix my B-pillars before I broke down and completely reupholstered them.

LocuMob

Reaction score
Well, it's not happening this week. I'll be at a friend's "show" on his front lawn of his farm on Saturday. Too bad it had to droop today. At least I'll wash the car, and make it look nice.

Camtron

Reaction score
Sounds like a solid weekend.
whenever you get to it, use a good adhesive remover to get the old adhesive off and have a clean work surface for the new adhesive to bond to. I had really good results with 3M adhesive remover; basically turns the glue into rubber, just brushes right off. It also evaporates quickly so, you don’t have to worry about over saturating the headliner with moister.

LocuMob

Reaction score
Sounds like a solid weekend.
whenever you get to it, use a good adhesive remover to get the old adhesive off and have a clean work surface for the new adhesive to bond to. I had really good results with 3M adhesive remover; basically turns the glue into rubber, just brushes right off. It also evaporates quickly so, you don’t have to worry about over saturating the headliner with moister.
So, is it possible to reuse the fabric, or am I sourcing new material?

Aspen500

Reaction score
I have a few “twist pins” holding up a small spot of my headliner. traditional pushpin/thumbtacks have a tendency to fall out of the headliner. The twist pins have a spiral/pig tail pin that screws into the headliner and really anchors them in securely. Just haven’t had the time or motivation to drop the headliner and re-glue it.

View attachment 44696
That's probably what they were in my buddies Challenger, not plain tacks.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It might feel ok but at this age its the foam breakdown that causes it.
I've never liked the tack way if holding it up as it puts permanent holes in an already easy to damage backboard. If it's a beater sure, if its a car I'm keeping long term I put up with the sag until it's fixed.

SuicideRider

Reaction score
A simple and cheap temporary fix is the cheap trim from a hardware store. Cut it a little long, stick it in behind the headliner trim. Makes a nice little bow to keep it off your head. And doesn't look bad either. The fake wood Grain makes it look snazzy.

LocuMob

Reaction score
A simple and cheap temporary fix is the cheap trim from a hardware store. Cut it a little long, stick it in behind the headliner trim. Makes a nice little bow to keep it off your head. And doesn't look bad either. The fake wood Grain makes it look snazzy.
I'll take the lazy route and let it hang until I get to it. More droop today when I got in the car. Bummer, but at least it's simple.

Back