School me on a transmission

Transmissions and Rear Ends

1. brotherGood

brotherGood Well-Known Member

Looking for some help,

I've got a cop 904 variant, which to the best of my knowledge is an A999. How do I differentiate that for sure without busting it open and counting clutches.

Second, I'll be pulling said transmission soon..is it really as simple as everyone says (remove linkage/lines, support engine, remove crossmember, driveshaft, bellhousing bolts and flywheel bolts)

Lastly, while it's only coming out to address a leak at the back of the engine, would it be better if I just went ahead and had it prepped for the 360. Meaning, rebuilt, new converter, etc. My understanding is the balancing is only relative to the engine (i.e. flywheel) so the converter and such should be fine with either 318 or 360. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

2. XfbodyX

XfbodyX Well-Known Member

on the rail right above the pan will be a series of stamped numbers, post those number or post a pic

3. SixBanger

SixBanger Well-Known Member

Removing and installation takes not a lot of time and effort. You must have done it once and then it goes smoothly. As a beginner, it took me around 4-5 hours, including chatting and taking a break (Even the day after I had a car accident).

The only things are to first disconnect the torque converter for further disassembly. Take a photo/note of how the speedometer was mounted in the trans. Turning the bellhousing bolts back into the transmission / engine again saves time and flying bolts through shop.

4. XfbodyX

Looking for some help,

I've got a cop 904 variant, which to the best of my knowledge is an A999. How do I differentiate that for sure without busting it open and counting clutches.

Second, I'll be pulling said transmission soon..is it really as simple as everyone says (remove linkage/lines, support engine, remove crossmember, driveshaft, bellhousing bolts and flywheel bolts)

Lastly, while it's only coming out to address a leak at the back of the engine, would it be better if I just went ahead and had it prepped for the 360. Meaning, rebuilt, new converter, etc. My understanding is the balancing is only relative to the engine (i.e. flywheel) so the converter and such should be fine with either 318 or 360. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Here is some easy trans ID info.

Fender Tag for what it should be.

Then the pan rail with the PN vs the parts book and the parts book replacement (I will post later, details a bit more on the 904/998/999.

Let me get pics. Here is an example of a 998 which may or may not have the extra part, a 999 would.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  5. XfbodyX

You might be looking for this PN below.

Look for your converter number as well.

A 318 vert is non weighted, a 360 requires a weighted vert. What motor are you using?

DSC00032.JPG

DSC00033.JPG

6. brotherGood

I am still using the 318, but will be going to a 360 hopefully next winter.

Here are my tags, I'm not seeing the code you've referenced.

FB_IMG_1575491626235.jpg

7. XfbodyX

Wow, on your tags, sorry on that. What year car is yours?

None the less I know the trans pics with the PN area will be the same format. I will confess after 79 the tags make no sense to me.

8. brotherGood

9. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

For the later to come 360, you can use a neutral balance converter IF you use an aftermarket flex plate that takes care of the external balance needs of a 360.

For lessening of frustration later, mark one of the holes in the flex plate and the corresponding point on the converter. The holes are offset and will only line up in one position and marking one will make life much better when going back together.

Oldiron440 likes this.
  10. 80mirada

80mirada Well-Known Member

Later Magnum 5.9 flex plates have a counter weight on them, but they do not have the offset convertor hole.