Seat Belt TN Law

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
So I bought all new waist seat belts for the Aspen but have been unable to find the driver and passenger shoulder belts. This is what the TN law says.

The law requires that both shoulder and waist seat belts and the proper use of whatever seat belt system the seating position provides. Vehicles equipped with air bags also provide lap and shoulder belts that must be worn. Some vehicles have automatic shoulder belts with lap belts that are fastened manually. These manual lap belts must be used for compliance and for maximum protection."Cars manufactured after 1967 and vans, pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles manufactured after 1971, are required by federal standards to have belts. Belts must be installed in these vehicles if the original seat belts have been removed. Vehicles brought in from other countries must be upgraded to conform with applicable federal motor vehicle standards. This means that passenger vehicles, light trucks and vans brought in from other countries must be fitted with belts if they were manufactured after the above date.

So I called my local Sheriffs Department and spoke to the commander. He said it would be up to the officer if ever stopped if he or she wanted to right a ticket or not. I mean really what does a collector do if he is unable to find the original seat belts? Not drive it. If it has collectors insurance and a collectors tag on it I am gonna drive it. You can buy after market shoulder belts sure for it but only if you modify the vehicle when installing them therefore making it non original. Whats your thoughts on it? Thank You

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
Its your call and your pocketbook.
I got pulled over by the state troopers for not having mudflaps on my dually. Although it was sold in 1997 without them, was inspected every year since 1997 and not once from the dealer until I was pulled over, not once was there a ticket written.
But I got the warning and threat of a ticket if they caught me again without mudflaps. I put on the mudflaps.

A collector car. No, I would not put in aftermarket belts unless they were an exact match for the originals. I would show them the collector insurance and collector liscence. Take my lumps, if they give me the ticket. My take, the further in time you get from these cars, the less likely the cops are familiar with the differences. Just look at them and say 'you realize this is a 1979 - prehybrid, pre-backup camera, still had a carb, before iphones... this car is older that you are '.

But then, I'm stubborn like that.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I have been in older/collector cars that have been pulled over. Obviously, we don't have the same laws as Tennessee. in every case, the cops pulled us over because they thought the car was cool and just wanted to see it close up.

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
I guess the thing that aggravates me is a person like me tries to obey all laws I mean if we didn't have some laws there would be no order at all and I understand that but I pay for the collector insurance every year.
I paid for the antique tag and I don't hot rod any of my vehicles and the funny part is you can get collector insurance even on a modified vehicle to a certain degree depending on horse power but when he said it would be the officers choice I was like really.
Why would there be a choice. I have seen more then ten Nova's in my town and I would bet money that they were not even street legal. Slicks are not street legal. Not here anyways. Should only be drove on a track.

On a forum and talking to other collectors it is easy to understand and relate but when you ask or talk to someone in the real world it is like they have no clue or just play stupid with you.
Nothing wrong with wanting to be safe and obey all laws and so on but hell not being able to drive something because you cant find the part for a older vehicle pretty much sucks.
Maybe the government should think about people who do collect vehicles and require dealerships and factories to never discontinue parts so that we can cater to them.
Parts get old and ware out. Parts get old and break.

Pretty simple doesn't mean it is the collectors fault. If this is such a big safety thing with federal standards then one would think they would enforce the guide lines a little better then what they do. So if I modify it then it is all good but if I don't modify it well I might get a ticket. So I guess a Lap belt doesn't count if that is all the collector can find in the world to which we all live in. I guess they do not consider it a safety device or a partial safety device. So I half to find change the belts again so that I please someone else. Funny thing is in the old days a lap belt was all one had and some vehicles had nothing lol. To me modifying seat belts and buying after market ones are not safe either lol Thank You

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
A lap belt only would be fine on '67 and older. Personally, I have a hard time driving a car with only a lap belt and no shoulder harness.
I think '67 and older anyways. I know '68 and up must have shoulder harnesses of some type.
I don't even feel comfortable with the 3 point belts in the Aspen because the webbing is 37 years old. In the next "off season" I'm sending them to SSnake-Oyl to get new webbing installed, for peace of mind. Of course, I hope to never test the belts because that means something bad has happened to the car.

Have you checked with Jim for belts?

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Sent him and marty both a email several times. They don't have. Almost impossible to find just one for just the driver seat not to mention the passenger side too. The old ones were complete trashed and could not be saved at all. I replaced just with lap belts because I did not want to modify and drill into the body of the vehicle. My collector insurance would not like that either. Thank You

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
In NZ I had to change the seat belts in my car, I gladly do it as I put safety above originality, I know its a pain and cost a small fortune but if that belt saved your life you would be saying money well spent. Webbing wears out over time, frays and in general after 30 years is stuffed, seat belt technology gets better all the time, we have no air bags in our seat of the paints cars so we have to rely on a belt and the faster that belt can lock on in a big smash the better! We have TV programs here and people get thrown from the car out the front screen generally most die, I also saw where a lap belt internally cut a women in half and caused a lot of issues if she had been wearing a 3 point belt she would not have suffered these injures, still got hurt but not internally cut in half. If you lost a car show because you didn't have original belts I would never go back there again.

Last edited:

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I dunno where people learn to drive, but seat belts are pretty low on my safety list.
Unless I was on a major highway/running the Daytona 500, I wouldn't wear a seatbelt.
It's just a law to protect morons who can't drive.
And the politicians need morons for their vote.

The Aspen came with shoulder belts, so why would modifications have to be made?

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
More likely to fall down the stairs.
Why not a helmet law?
Or hire Sherpa to guide 'people' on the stairs?
Maybe stairway air bags?
If we only save one life!-Think of the children!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
In a Mopar club meeting 30+ years ago, that I attended, Seat Belts and the law – was brought up.
One person got up and said he doesn’t use seat belts, not now, not ever. He went on to say he has a lap belt (both halves) under each of his front seats and he whips it out and places on his lap (loose, with ends hanging over seats), if pulled over. That way he can unfasten the belts and the appearance is there (but, loose).

I don’t necessarily agree with this gentleman, per se, for the way I drive, the seat belts keep me in front of the wheel.

I have seen enough auto accidents and have proof that seat belts saved lives, and where seat belts could have caused more injuries (which is hard to prove) – so jury is still out (in my opinion)

The seat belt law is political in nature – but sense it is the current law (in many areas), it is worth obeying (at least somewhat).

BudW

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Bud,

Seat belts are not perfect - I see them safe in 2 ways only, in a head on collision and keep you from being thrown from the car and getting squashed by your car and a sub issue of being thrown out - using your skull as a hammer to break the front windshield as you exit.

In a T bone smash I think seats belts could be your worst enemy

I have been in 2 fender benders, one wrote both cars off! If I didn't have my seat belt on in the T bone crash (guy turned in front of me) I think I would of had a lot more facial issues as my head smashed into the non airbag steering wheel, cause of my belt I walked away with a very small cut on my leg and a sore shoulder. All I can say is when it all goes wrong it goes wrong very very fast but also happens in slow motion some how, weird!

Seat belts do save lives, I don't think that is a conspiracy, Volvo came up with the 3 point belt or something I heard and never charged anyone to use it. Is that how it went?

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Its not a question if they are safe are not wasn't the point I was making if at all it was took this way. You have other collectors who do not half to install seat belts because of the grand father clause but someone who cant find parts is penalized for not having. That being said when I was younger I had two friends who died from having a seat belt on but that is beside the point I wont go there the law is the law and when it is our time to go we will go regardless but it should apply to all collectors not just some of us. I have filed a petition with my local county judge for a Exemption per the shoulder belt. Awaiting a response. Thank You

Bruceynz

Reaction score
In NZ we have something similar to what you have, problem is here I have no one to petition to change it, I am jealous you at least have somewhere to go! We have grandfather laws as well, some cars don't even have to have rear seat belts. Sorry for taking this off track.

Back