Sheet metal

shadango

Reaction score
Anyone have any hot tips for where to buy sheet metal for auto panel repairs?

Do you recommend aluminized metal like they sell at Eastwood?

Their kits are $40-50 for (it seems to me) not a lot of sheet metal. But it is aluminized....worth it?

Old cars used to be 18 gauge but will the now common 20 gauge work for repairs/welding in?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Good quality sheet metal can be hard to locate anymore. I've actually had good luck in the past buying from a heating/cooling contractor. They have various gauges, some have only bare steel, others have galvanized and/or aluminized. Here there's a couple metal scrap places that also sell about any kind of metal, from sheet steel, angle iron, square tubing, etc to brass, copper, stainless. May want to see if there's an outfit like that near you. I'd stay away from the stuff sold at places like Menard's or Home Depot. It's mostly made in China crap that would rust in the middle of the Sahara desert, seriously.

The aluminized metal from Eastwood will be less able to rust, same as aluminized exhaust. Of course you still need to coat the back sides and prepping for welds, and welding will lave those areas bare.

Back