Shocks on the Silverado

Justwondering

Reaction score
Brother found a weepy puddle under my truck this morning. Further investigation revealed it wasn't from the engine but rather from the rear of truck from the previous evening.

Turns out I must have busted a shock after my 600 mile round trip to haul back the tractor from the estate sale out in west texas.

I also had a headlight that was blinky (unintentionally).

I bought replacement bulbs, but the socket was melted so I went back and got a socket. Two waterproof butt splices later and a little heating gun and lights work fine.

Now, my question.
I go to replace the shocks ... purchased Monroe Reflex, a bit beefier than what was on there.

My two questions:
1. How do you keep the dirt from falling in your face while you work on the bolts? I used a rag and rubbed everything down to get the grime off, but it still spit dirt in my face.

2. How do you get the bottom bolt in fast enough after you cut the retainer to let the shock extend?

I have pictures to post if you like, but its just basic kind of pictures.

My old shocks were smaller diameter and had a 'expander' rubber boot at the top.
My new shocks are about 1/2 inch larger in diameter, have no boot, but look better quality.

I tightened everything back the way I found it.

3. Is there a specific torque that I should put on the nut/bolt?

Sure rides better so far.

I also removed the front cattle guard. I bet I get an increase in gas mileage out of that. lol

Best part is I now have a reliable, street legal backup ride for hospital and doctor trips again.

brotherGood

Reaction score
I took mine off road for the first time today. I don't usually do that kind of stuff, but it was in 4H, going through mud, and over busted up concrete..slamming down on it and everything. It wasn't by choice, I just thought I Had a way out and didn't, so I had to go through twice. No damage was done fortunately..but I was none too happy about it. I've already got one vehicle beat up..don't want my daily tore up because of something stupid

Aspen500

Reaction score
How do you keep the dirt (and rust, and salt, and unidentifiable debris.........) from falling in your face? You don't, it's just the nature of the beast and you get used to it. After 30+ years as an auto tech, I don't even notice it anymore. Wear eye protection and.....................keep your mouth closed, lol.
There is no trick to getting the bolt in after cutting the strap. It's a lot easier with the suspension at full extension with the axle hanging but still usually requires a bit of grunt force.
As long as you have the nuts/bolts tight, they'll be fine. Seems I remember the torque spec is something like 70 ft lbs.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
You can steam clean the bottom of vehicle for 8 hours – and still have “crud” fall in your face (just not as much of it).

At home, I try to give the vehicle a good bath in the area of repairs before performing “open hood” surgery (or whatever area you are working on). It does keep the mess down – but it will still happen.

One doesn’t see too many lades wrenching on cars, but when I do, they usually have air pulled tight or have a net on & glasses to keep the “cleanup” to a minimum.

Note: shock absorbers do normally wear out and is something you have to plan on replacing every few years.

Master M

Reaction score
All that junk that falls in your face and hair is called proof you love working on your car !!

Back