Side Mount Battery-What a Joke

Justwondering

Reaction score
In what reality does a side mount battery with a tiny 5/16 bolt for positive and negative olts for charging make any damn sense?

And why in creation didn't it register with me that it is actually the opposite of a top post mount battery? I carefully take the battery out and realize just about the time I lift the battery that there is now no posts to use to charge the battery... Doh!

What a goofball.

So how hard is it to convert this dang chevy to a top mount battery. Is it hard to change the leads from the engine?

The good news is I got the new horn I needed and the new taillight assembly so I can hopefully get the dang battery charged and the truck inspected manana.

David Clark

Reaction score
they Make Side to Top Post and Top to Side Post Adapters for the Batteries. I for one can't stand Side Terminals either. You could get the Adapters, or just replace the Cables with some top Post Generic Cables if Possible.

side.jpg

top.jpg

David Clark

Reaction score
Just remember to check your Hood Clearance (one of the reasons Chevy Switched to Side post Terminals) if you switch to Top Post.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
A couple of small points. Poinr 1 is if you need to charge up a side post battery, there are bolts available at any hardware store that fit. The bolts/threads are pretty common. Point 2 is that my 2006 Monte Carlo uses a top post battery, because the engine compartment is so tight that the side terminal battery if used, would have no clearance for the battery cables. Weird, huh?

Justwondering

Reaction score
Like the old saying goes ...
its not what you know
its who you know that knows what you need to know...
You folks are the best.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Only side post I've ever had to deal with was on a guys 2006 Vette. He didn't know how to change the battery so he paid me $50 to do it. Royal pain on that car but I got free beer out of it. :D

Darth-Car

Reaction score
The theory behind those side post jobs is that they do not build up the acid corrosion on the posts that the top post batteries can suffer from.

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's the story I remember from when they first started using them, Darth. Know what works way better? A battery with a vent tube, like any car with the battery under the rear seat, in the trunk, in the cowl (like a lot of German cars) or anywhere else inside the passenger compartment. Those NEVER get corroded terminals. Of course, they're also not under the hood in the elements but still. Reason I've got a VW battery (yeah I know, shut up!) in my car, other than they are excellent batteries, is the vent tube. It runs from the battery, through the grommet where the side marker harness goes and then down to the bottom of the fender.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I just use the Optima batteries, and never have to worry about the corrosion.

Aspen500

Reaction score
True, but I also want the "look" of a regular battery. Now, if they made an Optima that doesn't LOOK like an Optima..............................
Suppose there's other AGM batteries that appear normal but instead of $100 they're more like $250 and I'm a cheapskate, lol.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Interstate batteries are really funny; they are either really good, or really bad. I have unfortunately always had the really bad ones.

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's what I'm going to put in eventually (an Interstate Mega-Tron). We sell them at work and have had MAYBE 1 out of 100 fail under warranty. Most get replaced just because of age when they're 6 or 7 years old for the customers peace of mind. My Dakota has an Interstate I put in back in 2008 and it still tests perfectly good for voltage and CCA but it's always in the back of my mind it's an 8 year old battery.
Need to use a Mega-Tron because it's black vs the white and lime green of the regular ones. It always comes down to appearance, doesn't it?
Haven't checked yet but I'm hoping there's a Mega-Tron the right case size with non-recessed terminals (so I can put my NOS Thermo-Gard on) that also uses a vent tube.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That's what I'm going to put in eventually (an Interstate Mega-Tron). We sell them at work and have had MAYBE 1 out of 100 fail under warranty. Most get replaced just because of age when they're 6 or 7 years old for the customers peace of mind. My Dakota has an Interstate I put in back in 2008 and it still tests perfectly good for voltage and CCA but it's always in the back of my mind it's an 8 year old battery.
Need to use a Mega-Tron because it's black vs the white and lime green of the regular ones. It always comes down to appearance, doesn't it?
Haven't checked yet but I'm hoping there's a Mega-Tron the right case size with non-recessed terminals (so I can put my NOS Thermo-Gard on) that also uses a vent tube.

Yep. I've never had a problem with those batteries. I bought my Fifth a little over five years ago and there was a Mega Tron II in it. I'm still using it and that sucker cranks over my frozen 318 every winter. Has never failed me once.

Aspen500

Reaction score
There's a reason Interstate is one of the more expensive batteries on the market. We get people coming in, or towed in, with 2 or 3 year old brand X batteries that are junk. Interstate $120, Northern Battery $60 (for example). The Interstate is good at 8 years old, the Northern is shot in 2 years and left the owner stranded. Now, which is the one actually costs more? Most towing companies won't jump start cars anymore so they get towed. Let's see, 2 year old $60 battery, $100 tow plus so much a mile and then buy another battery. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
There's a reason Interstate is one of the more expensive batteries on the market. We get people coming in, or towed in, with 2 or 3 year old brand X batteries that are junk. Interstate $120, Northern Battery $60 (for example). The Interstate is good at 8 years old, the Northern is shot in 2 years and left the owner stranded. Now, which is the one actually costs more? Most towing companies won't jump start cars anymore so they get towed. Let's see, 2 year old $60 battery, $100 tow plus so much a mile and then buy another battery. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Yes Sir. The $135 out the door doesn't even phase me because I know what I'm getting. The one in the Caravelle is at least six years old and still strong as an ox. The one in the Fifth. At least six years old. The Volare has a brand new one and I'm grabbing one for the wife's Scamry. Best battery I've ever used.

This is the possibly six year or more old one in my Fifth earning it's keep in -31°F windchill.

Back