Slant six distributor WORN OUT!

SlantSixSullivan

Reaction score
Okay, so awhile ago I posted a thread on here about having trouble with my slant six ignition. Basically, my problem was intermittent spark. Usually the car would start up and run fine but as soon as I drove it around, parked and tried to fire it back up - nothing. I did find that I would get a moment of spark as I released my key from the start position; much like an improperly adjusted ignition switch. What the problem actually was, was that my distributor upper shaft was worn out! A washer was fabricated as a shim to make up for the vertical play in the shaft, and the problem has been gone since. Here's what happened when the cam spun that distributor gear and turned that top shaft: The shaft was shoved upward, which butted the rotor button contact against the bottom of the cap. The plastic was actually worn and chewed up because of this. Also, the plate which holds my magnetic pickup twisted, causing the spinning reluctor to collide with the magnet, chipping them both. Now, as the shaft spins up and down, my spark is very random. I WAS GETTING VERY ANGRY AS A RESULT OF THIS. I never even thought of checking for this issue, as I never have experienced it before. I had replaced every major component in the system, and chased every wire I could find. Just a heads up to anyone rebuilding, buying, or otherwise installing distributors; please check them for vertical play. Also, the little three prong spring on the bottom of the magnetic pickup mounting plate can become weak, and can be tweaked to prevent that plate from twisting. It's not really a good design by Chrysler, in my opinion.

SlantSixSullivan

Reaction score
Oh, I'm on the road now. Thankfully this old slant won't be in too much longer. I've got a 360 on the stand ready to be assembled. Maybe I'll take the slant, rebuild it and put it in my Dakota??

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Good to hear!

I’m not a Dakota expert – but I don’t think they ever put a /6 in a Dakota.

I do know the 2.2L/2.5L 4-cyl was used as well as the 3.9L V6 (3/4th of a 318). It was a few years after they came out, before they even dropped a 318 into a Dakota.

I suspect a /6 might not fit, length wise, into a Dakota.
BudW

Back