Speed channel gone?

slant6billy

Reaction score
So I don't watch much TV. Reality TV is so far from reality- why bother. Ridiculous people - self engorged. So I dig GEARS on SPEED. One of a few shows I do watch. The message said to go to FOX SPORTS ONE. What a joke. 24 hours of arm chair quarterbacks- no thanks. That and other crap has me fired up on a Saturday Morning.

I guess it is a balance in this world. I'm back working full time and with some OT too boot.

Wife just had a job interview and looks very promising. If she lands the job, there will be an f body coupe or wagon arriving in the garage soon.

My imp

Reaction score
Gears is making an announcement in the fall as to what their plans are. My Classic Car is on a new channel "MAV TV",Chop, Cut, Rebuild will now be called "Dan's (Woods) Garage". When NASCAR bought the original Speedvision, & changed it to Speed channel, it gained popularity. Now that Fox bought it & are entering an already over saturated market, it seems (hopefully) deemed to fail. All you can do is petition for the return of your shows on another network, because Fox doesn't listen to anyone.

wvdodgemirada

Reaction score
Just what we need...another espn. As if there aren't enough of those already!

Erics5th

Reaction score
About the only thing I liked on Speed was the SCCA racing (much rather watch amateur racing than professional) and the Paris-Dakar Rally (because its so friggen awesome to see huge trucks jump dunes) once a year. Once it changed to the NASCAR channel and started showing all those "drama" reality shows, I stopped watching.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Just got word. GEARZ is on MAVTV. Don't know the time slot, but "My Classic car" was just on.
Never knew about MAVTV, but looks like a lot of good stuff over on there. So Fox Sports ONE and other arm chair quarterback crap can go stuff it.

tim berry

Reaction score
yeh i get it but discovery has ruined it also with too much non automotive stuff that should air on their other chanel thank god for spike tv on the weekends

My imp

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for Chip Foose to come & pick up my Imperial & parts I've been collecting. lol. But it's not a Charger, Camaro, Mustang, etc... cookie cutter stuff we've all seen a million times. Guess he doesn't want TOO much of a challenge!

slant6billy

Reaction score
Since parts and sponsors pay for the show, got to be a jeep, a chevy or mustang, since that's 99% of what is out there. Only in some rare occasion, does a mopar get done up. Even worse, GM drivetrain with a ford 9 inch shoved under a Plymouth or any mopar for that matter. Here is one in our court though: http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3942562519.html

It is a 1956 ford panel truck with a 1983 Chrysler 5th Ave drivetrain/ subframe- including the steering column and steering wheel. Nothing goes right up the ass of purist, when a mopar is powering some streetrod. I wih the guy would drop the price though- 9500 is a bit much- 5G perhaps.

My imp

Reaction score
True that, not only that, but it's market driven as well. Could you imagine the backlash if he were to do the car voted least collectible in just about every poll? I've never seen an Imperial done up in street trim that was done to the nines. I plan on doing one of those "how it could, or should've been done" from the factory. T-tops, big block, 4/5 speed std. shift, wouldn't mind an IRS, but don't know how much straight line performance would be affected. Chris Jacobs is a Mopar freak, but even his influence doesn't seem to help. To most, our cars are a waste of time & money. Everyone that rides in the Imp can't believe Chrysler ever built anything like it. They all want to know how much the car has been modified. Other than the 360, everything is std., the frt. end is factory. Due to the poor design, these cars have a bad rep (EFI, digital dash, etc..). Oh well, Chip you have my number. LOL

slant6billy

Reaction score
As I tell my kids. Some folks are incapable of an original though. Like Smelts going with the flow. I admit I wanted a 66 Chevelle when I was 12. Not a Malibu, but a Chevelle (sport roof no B pilar). Most so called chevy guys- could not tell the difference. The eye of uniqueness is what any F M or J owner has. Hell the orphan AMCs Gremlins and Pacers have support forums, as well Vegas and Pinto/ Bobcats. These cars were hated and made fun of and called unsafe. Lets not forget the covair.... Ralph Nader (king of all assholes) had a vested interest to sack the corvair. Face it there are folks out there who just don't get it and never will. I don't get golf or tennis, but folks watch it and speed a shitload of money on it. Fantasy football..... just don't get it and yet folks throw money at it like it comes with free blowjobs.......... again just don't get it. I'm going back under my rock now.

My imp

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Chip is capable of Independant thought, however, capable vs. being allowed to use it are entirely different things. Chip likes Mopars. TerraCuda & hemisfear come to mind. Let's not forget that the powers (a-holes) that be at Chrysler sued Chip for use of the word HEMI in the title of his creation. Maybe they were simply embarrassed because he built the Prowler the way it should have been. Occasionally he would build an esoteric car that appealed to a certain lunatic fringe ('66 T bird, '59 Caddy, etc...), but nothing like an'81 Imperial! An M,J,Y,R,C,D don't stand a chance. The F bodies are gaining popularity, so they stand a chance (a slim one) of making the show. I like the looks (sorry) of the Aero Monte Carlo (minus the the backlight), but how many of those have been done "the way the factory could, or, should have done them? Hell Booger & Skeeter did one on Horsepower TV. The cars look similar, but the Imp has a much more luxurious presence, ride, overall character than the Chevy offering. So why not?

slant6billy

Reaction score
Always dug the Aerocoupe monte and 1986 2 plus 2 Pontiac Gran Prix fastback. Most of my GM friends hated the Nascar fastback G bodies in 86.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
One of the cars that I like a lot was the last generation Matador coupe, and the last generation Javelin/AMX. Unique look, with essentially a standard RWD platform. I like the 2 door early fast back Cutlasses as well. Along with Turbo T-Birds, Buick LeSabre T-Type Turbo 2 doors, '66 Chargers and early AMC Marlins. Unique looking cars, but hard to come by these days, and I do have my 3 J bodies that need work already that need work.

Kostas

Back