Speedometer Pinion Gear Wanted

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am after a 32 teeth one to suit my 1983 904(998) transmission any one got one they would like sell?

Wheels are 27" tall and gear is 3.21 so looks like a 32 is about what I need.

Thanks
Bruce

slant6billy

Reaction score
There is a thread here somewhere, but you have a black plastic housing with a c clip on the end of your speedo cable. You need the red housing to fit a 32 tooth gear. Here is a link to PATC site with some info you need. I called PATC last year and was informed they don't stock our FMJ stuff any longer. I had to get clever with a new cable from Napa, an aluminum housing and speedo gear from a jeep- 41 tooth.
--- Post updated ---
There is a thread here somewhere, but you have a black plastic housing with a c clip on the end of your speedo cable. You need the red housing to fit a 32 tooth gear. Here is a link to PATC site with some info you need. I called PATC last year and was informed they don't stock our FMJ stuff any longer. I had to get clever with a new cable from Napa, an aluminum housing and speedo gear from a jeep- 41 tooth.
Speedometer Gear, Speedometer Gears, Ford, GM, Dodge 700R4

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yes, those speedo pinion gears for FMJ are all but made from unobtainium. Looked for a 31 tooth to replace the 34 tooth I had, for a couple years until I finally found one (thanks Jim!).

BTW, if anyone ever finds they need a 34 tooth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,let me know.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have found it easier to convert the speedo gear system to the 75ish and down system for a couple of reasons. Transmission removal/reinstall is a lot neater (i.e.: not as much mess) and there are reproduction gears available for a wider range ever made for the 76ish and newer speedos.

The Speedometer cables are the same length for almost anything Chrysler made from 68-75ish (including pickups), so find one with cruise (or without cruise), Find a speedometer adaptor (transmission part) and you are set.

I have a complete set of gears for the 75ish down gears, but only a couple of 76ish and up ones.

BTW, is that 34 tooth gear for sale?

BudW

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Bud I have a 1973 trans in my shed, can I take all the speedo parts from that and put them into my 1983 Cordoba A998 trans and I will be in business? Don't quite follow your mod you do to convert them.

Thanks
Bruce

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Bud I have a 1973 trans in my shed, can I take all the speedo parts from that and put them into my 1983 Cordoba A998 trans and I will be in business?
Yes, almost.

Somewhere around ’76-77 (a little later in pickups) Chrysler went from a metal adapter, a plastic gear with metal shaft and a screw on speedometer cable.

The newer ones use a plastic adaptor, and plastic speedometer gear and a snap in place cable (designed to be faster on assembly line, but not faster when removing a transmission.

I prefer the older style because you can remove transmission without losing (much) fluid. Also finding correct replacement gears is a bit easier.

To convert a newer car to screw on/metal adaptor gear, you will need to replace the speedometer cable (or lower cable if using cruise control) and speedometer adaptor and gear.

People are making aftermarket speedometer gears for the older type. Trying to find the newer all plastic ones can be very fun (if you need a different gear).

I will try to find a picture of the newer (apx ’77 up) speedometer gear setup at home.
Old Speedo.GIF

slant6billy

Reaction score
I 've posted these pics before when I swapped mine out
150227-171918.jpg
Stock what our FMJ cars came with

150221-111031.jpg

That is like the diagram in the above thread

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Thanks for the info

So I can take the complete assembly out of my early 1970 trans and then fit a new speedo cable and I will be all good to go? Do you know what length cable I need as I will get rid of the cruise control and have one cable from speedometer to trans.

thanks
Bruce

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly as Slant6billy has shown (he beat me to additional pictures). I like the second picture, showing both ends of the cable. The first picture cable metal end is rather plain looking (not shown).

Those first picture speedometer gears are not easy to find.

Some of the first F-bodies came with old setup. It was off/on/off/of as parts availability were an issue, in ’76.

Pretty much any speedometer cable (without cruise) will fit from ’68 to ‘76ish (including pickups) had the same length cable.

’67 and older had a screw on connector on speedo head. ’68 up has a clip on it (the kind you want), much like what is shown in the picture above.

Any lower speedometer cable, with cruise, will fit.

If you are getting rid of your cruise – I may have a deal for you.
I will get you the correct old style gear, adaptor seal kit and a new (correct) cable – for your old (’83) gear and old cruise components. I will need to know what your current gear (’83) tooth count is (and gear color), first.

The tooth count is stamped or molded onto side of gear.

I’m converting a car to cruise and need the parts to do so.
You can send me a PM if you want to do so.

BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
Buddy,
you make my head spin with all your projects. lol
I thought I had the lock on too many things on the to-do list, but I'm beginning to think your list is way longer than my list.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m kinda afraid to say anything. My house has two detached garages, one is a one car (double car width) and other a two car garage.

You have to do a dance to get from one end to other end of both of them. Not from storage, per se, but from an unfinished project, on top of an unfinished project, on top of an unfinished project, on top of an unfinished project . . .

Smiles, just last night, I waited until late to go into my garage to get some pictures for someone - so it would be cooler. About five minutes in the garage, I looked as if someone poured a Gatorade bucket over me, from being so hot in the garage.

This time of year, and from having unheated/no A/C garages, the time I can spend in one - is not a lot (plus taking twins to birthday parties, school events, taking care of wife, or like this week, working on Saturday (today).

BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
It is amazing how life takes priority over those projects isn't it?
I will take a note out of your playbook though... once I do get to the point of putting in a garage/workarea it needs to be with a/c and heat.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a picture (I took last night) of a new lower speedometer cable, with cruise control, for ‘76ish to ’93 rear wheel drive vehicles. The nut end is for cruise control.
20160618_010332.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
once I do get to the point of putting in a garage/workarea it needs to be with a/c and heat.
Amen, sister!

I would make plans on it, but getting the structure up should be first.

My wife has been advised that if we find ourselves with "too much money" (yea, right) I will start construction on a huge (couple of blocks wide) building, that will be heated, A/C, plenty of lifts, restroom, hot tub?.pegboard with tool outlines, paint booth, back massager, stocked kitchen, and maybe even a back door for, um, entertainers (I can call ladies that, can I?), etc.

At this time, I can only dream . . .

Back