sport mirrors

mike2

Reaction score
Would like to put passenger side mirror on. Any ideas on what fits, different mopars, or aftermarket. Was hoping for ideas on manual mirrors. seem to be able to find remote mirrors, but didn't want to drill. Thanks

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Any F and M-body mirrors will fit fine – but drilling will be required (if no mirror is currently on Right door).

My ’77 wagon came without a Right mirror (most F-bodies don’t have Right mirrors). I found a pair of NOS bullet mirrors (or what I call them) that are “paint to match” to install (one of the many things on my "to do" list).

Most F-bodies with bullet mirrors used the chrome versions, like this ’80 Aspen wagon:
20160429_111919b.jpg

Mirrors from other body lines may or might not fit. The main issue is the angle of door where it meets the mirror bracket, as well as the length of cable for passenger side door.

Below are PDF’s from my ’79 parts book. The first two pages are F-body (H & N) and M-body (F & G). The third PDF is for ’79 B-body (2 door)
BudW

Edit:
If you are installing a remote mirror, in place of a manual mirror, there are two stamped steel plugs, one on door and other on body, that can be knocked out with a punch – much like a house steel electrical box.

Attachments

• 79 PM pg 23-262.pdf
    197.8 KB · Views: 357
  • 79 PM pg 23-263.pdf
    160.7 KB · Views: 328
  • 79 PM pg 23-264.pdf
    204.1 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Oh, I remember seeing the pics of that poor dark green '80 wagon. What a shame it was parted out. I was looking for a passenger side chrome (non-sport) remote mirror for OY, and did get one off the black parts Volare in OK that I also got my plaid seats from. I haven't even thought about attempting to mount the mirror yet - cripe I'm still working on the seats! Also, I am somewhat intimidated by the need to drill the holes correctly in the passenger door, and trying to run the cable for such a distance to the dash panel. It surely wasn't easy or fun to remove it from the parts car, and I doubt it would be any easier to mount it again in OY. At least I was able to find one. They seem to be fairly unusual.
Oklahoma Kansas May 23-30 2015 054.jpg

Oklahoma Kansas May 23-30 2015 028.jpg

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Installation of a passenger side mirror is the same whether it be on a 2-door, 4-door or wagon EXCEPT of course that fully dressed coupe door probably weighs 80 pounds more and the knock outs are almost impossible to get out without taking the door off. Ask me how I know.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve installed a lot of passenger side mirrors back when I was at dealership (as well as cruise installs, etc.). I will say that those knock-out holes are not all the same. Most are easy to knock out. Some . . . not so much, and would be easier to get a hole-saw and make your own hole. So, maybe 1 troublesome one for every 9 easy ones.
I know the dies used to stamp steel with, wears out and need to be replaced every so often, I suspect when dies are close to wore-out, are the troublesome ones appear (me shrugs).

That said, I found it faster to jack up R/F corner of car and place on jack stand. Remove R/F tire and the plastic inner fender. I had a 2-foot-long piece of 1/2 inch thick solid steel round bar stock that I used to knock the door plugs out with. That tool was overkill (but worked great) and could be done with a long punch, long screwdriver or something similar.

The plug on body side, I generally had more fits with – but it is also more accessible. The important part is to take round file and smooth out any sharp edges, as well as block of wood and hammer to make sure the “hole” is (mostly) flat, before mirror install.

Same thing with power window wiring holes – but those holes are a lot larger. I only installed power windows on four cars. Maybe closer to 100+ on Right mirror installs.

The location of mirror on door is not critical – so if mirror is ¼” up/down or ½” front/rear – NO ONE will notice (except for you). The plastic mirror gasket (if you want to call it that item) works for a wonderful guide as to where to drill holes at.

I have drilled a ton of holes in doors - but found later what works great is to mark center of holes, drill a pilot hole slightly smaller than hole-saw center bit or drill hole to use a hole punch set. Later, I found the hole punches are faster, make a lot cleaner hole and works wonderful on non-flat surfaces (like concave or convex door skins). The hole punches also work great for those door edge holes for the cable (on the ones that refuse to easily pop out).
Hole Punch.jpg

The trick on hole punches is the more expensive ones give very little problems. The cheaper ones give, well, more problems. It comes down to you get what you pay for (but . . . if you might only need to use it once?).
BudW

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
If I remember correctly(was a long time ago), I installed the power windows and door locks at the same time that I added the passenger side mirror and it seemed like it would be a whole lot easier to take the doors off then to try and fight with the knockouts.

mike2

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it ,going to Hershey show tommorow, maybe will get lucky, but its mostlyreally old stuff,but very cool show.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Thanks Bud. Your info is quite helpful. Don't know when I will get around to putting the mirror on the passenger door, but I'll have to remember this post when I do. ;)

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I know the feeling. The parts are on hand (but need painted) – just not ready to “get r done”.
Miss not having a right side outer mirror.
BudW

Back