Starter Drives for 1981 318-4V/BBL

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Hi,

My 1981 Mirada CMX needs a new starter drive (what some people call a Bendix). Looking at the Rock Auto page under this car, 5.2L, electrical, shows 2 drives, one with a 7 inch spline, 3.5:1 gear ratio, and one with a 12 inch spline, 2:1 gear ratio. When I look at the application data for the Standard Motor Products SDN21 (7 inch) and the SDN22 (12 inch), they both show applications for a 1975-1983 Cordoba and a 1980-1983 Mirada. Which is correct? Can either be used? What came from the factory?

Kostas

slant6billy

Reaction score
I am not sure to those numbers, but what I do know- The 92 to 2005 starter for the 3.9, 5.2, & 5.9 will go into the LA, just keep in mind the smaller wire for the solenoid is a spade vice lug on some 98 and up applications. Just did my budy's F wagon with the smaller starter for the 90's trucks and it sits 3 inches from the headers. The ratio is better to spin that LA over much quicker. If you can get one off a wrecked Dakota or Ram van for cheap to test fit, you may just find it's advantage rather than messing with the starter guts

NoCar340

Reaction score
No, it actually spins the engine quite a bit faster. They're both gear-reduction starters, but the later unit (starting around 1990) has quite a bit more horsepower (1.9HP) and torque. No more ruh-ruh-ruh when starting. The same starter also fits on Slant Six applications, and all Chrysler V8s from 1963 until the 4.7 came out except 1966-'69 Hemi with a 4-speed, which uses a similar unit to a '60s Slant Six truck, with a pigyback solenoid, due to its oddball 172-tooth flywheel.

For the little that they cost, even locally, the OE style starter with a warranty is a much-better alternative than replacing your starter drive. Starter drive warranty? 90 days if you're lucky. Starter? Lifetime. The late-model starter is a great upgrade, though, and doesn't cost much more. I just bought one for $76, including shipping, off Amazon (cheaper than RockAuto!) with no core charge.

For the record, the flywheel really doesn't care about whether you use a 7° or 12° pitch on the starter drive, as long as there are 10 teeth.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
NoCar340:

Great information, a Magnum starter is what I will be getting, new.

I thought the starter turned the torque converter on Mopar small blocks, not the flywheel.

Kostas

NoCar340

Reaction score
Yeah, my bad. I always think in terms of 4-speeds. The upgrade unit is not a "Magnum" starter, by the way. It predated the Magnum by several years. I had one on my '79 300 in 1989... it was a pricey bastard back then.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Almost bought a 4.7 starter and stopped myself. I think the new Hemi is also not compatable with LA or Magnums or 440s. The weight of those new ones is also far less. So those that get tired out on their back as they throw the old spinner around.... kind of like so girls from the Tilted Kilt - Ha ha ha - will have a much easier install.

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to the mini starter and the 120 AMP denso alt on My 80 Lebaron Coupe,
And both were a huge improvement.
You will be amazed on how fast it will spin your engine.
Mini Starter.jpg

Mini Starter.jpg

Last edited:

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
Dodge Truck 88 89 90 91
as far as brackets and all.
My 88 Fifth parts car has that same setup.

I noticed while doing a Magnum engine swap for a guy,
That the 92 93 Magnum starter is even smaller then the pic I posted.

Last edited:
Back