steering coupler size

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
What is the correct size steering coupler for in the fmj body cars? i just rebuilt the steering coupler in the doba and bought one of those retainer clamps since the clip on top wont stay on. Any suggestions?

Aspen500

Reaction score
They're 3" long, if that's what you meant. I rebuilt mine including a new housing and even with the shaft on the bench, never did get that darn seal retainer to stay on. This past winter, got one of those retainer springs. It's an adventure getting it on but it works beautifully. Hard part is installing it without scratching the shaft or housing. Actually, that's pretty much impossible :(

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
well some how i ended up with at 3 1/2" coupler. Its been fighting me the whole way through the process of putting a new gear box in.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The steering coupler size maybe one of the few things I don’t know much about on these cars.
I do have a few rebuild kits in my garage (for my own projects) but other than that, not done one yet.

I went out to look at the one on my Volare, and it is also 3 inches long.
Looking at it, I noticed the retainer had popped loose and is leaking grease out. Sigh, something else to fix.

The part number for ’83 is 3837669 (or at least I think this is the part you are looking for, #24 in the picture).

I then went to look up the ’71 Imperial part # and came back with 2996857 (for all ’70-71 cars with P/S).

No mention of year truck so I looked it up in my ’78-81 Truck manual and came up with 3579522 (B Vans with P/S) and 4115549 (pickups).

Other than that, I can’t comment any further.

BudW

83 MJ steering pic.GIF

83 MJ steering PN.GIF

Back