Steering Question

TechNoGeek

Reaction score
On a 77 Diplomat.....
While moving if I steer to the Right all seems normal.
If I turn "left" it is VERY easy way too easy.
It is so easy I have swerved a few times while cruising around 60 MPH.
Why would One direction verses the other be so different?
If I lift the Front wheels Off the ground it seems to be about the same effort.
it does NOT auto steer Left or right it stays where its at.
Any Ideas?

TechNoGeek

Reaction score
Went to an alignment shop they tweaked castor, camber ant toe i even took it back a few days later since it still happened. They checked caster and camber and said it was right on as well as toe in, because of my persistance they added a little more toe in. I replaced my Steering Gear box with a rebuillt unit. It seems worse but i expected a lot.

Technogeek

80mirada

Reaction score
What rebuilder is your steering box from. Most of them are pretty lousy, the ones I have been unfortunate enough to experience are absolute crap. NAPA used to sell a very good rebuild. Firm Feel is the best, but many have had decent luck with Steer and Gear also. The other possibility is the valve body is out of adjustment

Aspen500

Reaction score
If it doesn't auto steer, the valve body adjustment is good.

The valve body won't really affect the assist in one direction or the other all that much anyway. More likely is an internal fault like one of the seals not sealing, damaged reaction spring, etc.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Could it be anything to do with the pump? It seems the only common denominator left in the equation, his steering gear did it, he swapped it out for a rebuilt gear and still does it, alignment is good, its pump or tires? I had a tire with a suspected broken belt, tire made weird sqishy noises, that stumped a lot of people.

TechNoGeek

Reaction score
I did a Warranty exchange on the Steering gear. As soon as I get it installed I will post the results. Man those are fun to get out....

TechNoGeek

Reaction score
Update.....
I installed the exchange Steering Gear Box, and the issues is fixed.
Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction for a fix.
TechnoGeek

80mirada

Reaction score
Firm Feel rebuilds go a lot further than the average "reman" job, they will replace and recondition parts that most of the rebuilders wont even check.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
No experience from AutoZone on their steering gears (so can’t comment).

I did have a lot of trouble with an another auto parts store (now out of business) and had to replace the gear, 3 times, to get a good one – before I knew about Firm Feel.

Had no problems with Firm Feel and even have one (Stage II) on the garage shelf to replace the one in on 5th Ave with, currently (which loose and leaks fluid like a tin can after used for target practice).
Pricey - but you will only have to do it, once.
Budw

Back