Steering Wheel

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Ok my steering wheel in my 1983 Cordoba is toast, the California sun has seen to that. The cracks in it about 1/4inch, you can near get your finger tip down them, I personally like the leather wrapped steering wheels that are a bit thicker, a guy has a nice one for sale from a 82-89 Fifth Avenue New Yorker, my car has the tilt steering wheel, not sure if that changes anything. Will this steering wheel bolt straight on in place of my Cordoba steering wheel?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-82...nue|Submodel:Base&hash=item5d4f67fd45&vxp=mtr

Thanks
Bruce

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Bruceynz:

If you aren't stuck on originality, you may want to look at some Grant steering wheels. They do make a huge variety of them, both sizes (rim diameter, thickness, and dish), rim materiials (foam, leather, wood, and plastic), amd spoke colours (polished, satin, black, etc.) and number (some 2 spoke, mostly 3 and 4 spoke). Interesting thing is that they have hub adaptors that will let you use their wheels with a wide variety of cars, including J bodies with tilt columns (tilt columns were made by GM/Saginaw I think ).

Kostas

Bruceynz

Reaction score
My thoughts were if I bought a Chrysler one out of a similar car it would bolt straight on and have the Chrysler symbol on the centre. Grant make some nice wheels but the price soon adds up!

joemac1j

Reaction score
I'm not into originality. I have a perfect steering wheel of my 80 Cordoba. I replaced it with a "Tuff Wheel".
Anyone interested, shoot me an offer.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The tilt wheels and the regular wheels are not the same, you will need one from a car with a tilt wheel.

you can get perfectly good Grant wheels on eBay for about $20-25, in great shape; but you will need to factor in shipping to NZ. The adapter kits are about the same amount, up here. Grant also has Mopar logo centers, more than one (I know there is a pentastar, and Dodge one as well, not that it matters for a J body, but I think there is a Plymouth one as well).

Kostas

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Joemac1j

I am interested in your steering wheel, my is badly cracked, so much so that the edges will cut your hand, hang on I will take a photo and attach. How do I get access to the big nut to take the steering wheel off? I undone 2 screws at the back but that only allowed the plastic cover to come off, still not allowing me access to anything. Do I need a puller or can I bump it off?

steering_wheel.jpg

steering_wheel.jpg

Last edited:

jasperjacko

Reaction score
You could just epoxy putty the cracks and then wrap the wheel.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The 1982 - 1989 fifth ave steering wheel arrived today, fitted perfectly, what do you think?

I think it gives the interior a more modern look and looks factory with the pentastar in the middle. Color matched in well too.

See You
Bruce

5thavewheel.jpg

5thavewheel.jpg

Last edited:

Superpac Ninja

Reaction score
sweet :) i like the older wheels myself i took the newer one off my car and put an oem one back on her

GaryS

Reaction score
The Cordoba wheel I installed on my '73 D100 is leather wrapped. I used 1/8" thick upholstery padding between the wheel and the leather cover, and it's nearly as well padded as the OEM version.
dash.jpg

dash.jpg

compubert

Reaction score
Looks a tad smaller, wish I had a small wheel to put in mine so I can get my thighs under there. . .

CMX360

Reaction score
I keep hearing over the years from different sources that you can't swap tilt column steering wheels with non-tilt but I've done it on a couple of J's with no issues. This must be an urban legend.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Grant has different adapter kits for tilt and non-tilt steering columns. When I asked about this a while ago, I was told that the tilt steering column was from GM (Saginaw actually), and the non-tilt was Chysler in-house.

Kostas

cormir

Reaction score
I keep hearing over the years from different sources that you can't swap tilt column steering wheels with non-tilt but I've done it on a couple of J's with no issues. This must be an urban legend.

Yes, indeed it is a myth. The steering wheel mounts to the splines on the steering shaft, which is the same size tilt or non-tilt.

Back