Strange Gran Fury found online

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
was browsing the web when i came upon this strange car. i believe a picture of a similar car is on Dippy.org but this one claims to be a 1988 plymouth gran fury SE. as you can see this thing has a fifth ave landau roof but no other parts of the car allude to it being a fifth ave. it has plymouth badges, plymouth front end and no chrysler emblem in the license plate spot. so what is this car? i can't find any references to the existence of a gran fury SE. is this a clever mock up or a special ordered car?

gran fury se.jpg

GregG48213

Reaction score
special ordered car
With a little digging, I found some more information (classiccardb.com): 1P3BB26PXJW167175.
VIN decodes as a Gran Fury Salon. The only thing I see that's "SE" about it is the rear roof treatment. Curiously, the original ad lists it as "Plymouth Diplomat Grand Fury SE 1988".
PlySE-03.jpg

PlySE-04.jpg

PlySE-02.jpg

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
very interesting. i never knew they did this. this car seems to have been one at one point too

fifth dip futy.jpg

89.Fifth

Reaction score
Yeah the vinyl top was option on GF and Diplomat SE but it obviously wasn't the same as the top on the Fifth Ave. I think the FA top was factory and the GF tops were by ASC

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
here is another weird dip i found. its in a tv movie about an fbi shootout in 1986 and 2 agents pull up in this diplomat with a half vinyl roof

half roof dip.png

MoparDan

Reaction score
Many years ago I saw another Gran Fury with that roof on eBay I think, it was an '88 white, with dark blue top and light blue interior, very few options, and on the top where the SE logo is on the one above, it said Limited and also had limo lights

4speedjim

Reaction score
I wonder if these roofs are aftermarket dealer add, shipped from factory to an aftermarket equipper, like the T-tops or if it was an unpopular, limited availability or expensive option, limiting the number sold?

4speedjim

Reaction score
This top looks like a installed factory 5th. Maybe a little narrow on the trim molding but that might just be my eyes or a good knock off.
was browsing the web when i came upon this strange car. i believe a picture of a similar car is on Dippy.org but this one claims to be a 1988 plymouth gran fury SE. as you can see this thing has a fifth ave landau roof but no other parts of the car allude to it being a fifth ave. it has plymouth badges, plymouth front end and no chrysler emblem in the license plate spot. so what is this car? i can't find any references to the existence of a gran fury SE. is this a clever mock up or a special ordered car?

View attachment 27244

MoparDan

Reaction score
I just found the pictures I'd saved of the '88 and the roof looks exactly like blue one (except for the limo lights and Limited emblem) and the bottom trim sure looks like what they used on Fifth Avenues, I did just notice that the third brake light is somewhat blocked by the roof on the '88 so probably not factory. I'd post pictures but I can't figure out how to save them...

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
if you find a way I'd be really interested in seeing that fury you're talking about. maybe try uploading it to somewhere else and linking it (photobucket, flickr, etc)

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
now that's a strange car! i guess someone wanted a town car real bad but couldn't afford one

GregG48213

Reaction score
Something about this roof treatment says "aftermarket" or "dealer installed" to me. Rust on the back door and C pillar suggests the surface prep could have been better.
PlyTC-01.jpg

PlyTC-02.jpg

Mr C

Reaction score
Agreed, aftermarket. I thought the trim looked like the 82-87 5th Ave "stubby roof" trim, but your close up reveals it's not factory. A close up of the big trim would be good too. And the opera lights definitely not factory.

Back