Street racing is so cool, not.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Here's a video that shows the calamity of street racing but in a way the dangers of hammering on your car from a stop light or leveing a car show etc.. The car that crashes has the stock 4 bolt axles with c clips like the 8.25 has. Note he has no safety gear, helmet, cage, seat belt. Things happen quickly when they go bad!

Rustyroger

Reaction score
That car would never be allowed on a British strip without a roll cage, I'm sure it wouldn't be allowed at any properly run track anywhere else either.
So he takes it to what looks like an illegal race on a public road. Some guy spraying grip juice, a bunch of yahoos cheering them on, tell me this wasn't legal?.
I used to be a regular drag race spectator, in the UK, America, and Australia. All at properly sanctioned tracks with scrutineers checking cars and drivers were fit for the track, and the track itself was as safe as possible, with medical aid and a fire crew in attendance. Plenty of thrills, some spills, and mercifully few bad accidents. Keep racing confined to where it belongs.

Roger.

Greg55_99

Reaction score
After that, the driver should get baptized. It's a miracle he's alive.

volare 77

Reaction score
C clip axles can be dangerous for sure. I always wondered why they never made c clip eliminator kits for the 8 1/4. I guess most just upgraded to a 8 3/4.

Aspen500

Reaction score
A few years ago street racing here was a huge problem. Mostly the "slow and delirious" fart can import idiots. The powers that be finally cracked down on it when a young mother and her two children were killed by one of those dick heads. They were street racing,,,,,,right downtown. One lost control, jumped the curb and crashed. The woman and her children never had a chance, killed instantly. Previous to that it seemed you heard every other week about a street racer being severely injured or killed.

To discourage it, the penalty for street racing became seizure of vehicle (forever), up to $10,000 fine, loss of drivers license for up to 5 years, and up to one year in jail. Kill or injure another person while street racing and the penalties are higher of course. The penalty is the same in any municipality in the metro area (might be county wide, not sure). Poof, street racing all but vanished and no more deaths.

Drag racing is for the track, NOT public streets.

80mirada

Reaction score
There were axle sets that used a pressed on bearing and an 8 3/4 style retainer. They are pretty damn rare now, a friend of mine has an 8.25 that has a set. His dad ran a 74 Dart and later a 77 Aspen, and he remembered the NHRA inspector let him run with C-clips against GM and Ford racers that had to have C-clip eliminators in the same class.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I mentioned the c clip axles because he has no safety equipment on the car and the stock four bolt wheels on the rear.
The reason there are no c clip eliminator for the 8 1/4 is it's only a performance axle on this forum. There's no way I would put it behind 400 hp in a 3500 pound car.....
26 or 27 spine axles, I would like to see a 8 3/4 axle shaft next to a 8 1/4 to compare shaft diameters with the 8 3/4 having 30 splines.
I can't remember if I have 35 or 40 spine Mark Williams axles in my Plymouth but I'd bet there 35s.

Duke5A

Reaction score
That car would never be allowed on a British strip without a roll cage, I'm sure it wouldn't be allowed at any properly run track anywhere else either.
So he takes it to what looks like an illegal race on a public road. Some guy spraying grip juice, a bunch of yahoos cheering them on, tell me this wasn't legal?.
I used to be a regular drag race spectator, in the UK, America, and Australia. All at properly sanctioned tracks with scrutineers checking cars and drivers were fit for the track, and the track itself was as safe as possible, with medical aid and a fire crew in attendance. Plenty of thrills, some spills, and mercifully few bad accidents. Keep racing confined to where it belongs.

Roger.

Penalties vary State/city, but no, it isn't anywhere in the States by any stretch of imagination. This was a bunch of assholes being assholes. Any sanctioned track would have been shutdown at the time too. You can see the moisture build up in the windows. No way that road was dry.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Sheet metal and fiberglass cools faster than pavement so it draws moisture faster. I've been to plenty of night races where the car had condensation on it but the track was dry.

Back