STRENGTH OF THE K MEMBBER

CM360

Reaction score
Just read a bunch of info on the poor quality steel and welding used with the k members of the F&M bodies. Do I need to be concerned about putting 700 HP in a F body? Frame connectors and a 10-12 pt cage will be installed if the front suspension can handle it?

Aspen500

Reaction score
On my car, I welded all the seams solid on the k=frame as well as adding small gusset plates on the upper control arm bracket mounting "towers". Don't have 700hp but with a 500" BB (est 450-500 hp/500-525 ft lbs) no problems yet.

In addition have welded subframe connectors and 1X2" tubing welded under where the front fenders mount to the inner fenders, and a beefed up radiator top yoke to form a more solid perimeter along with reinforcement plates where the upper part of the inner fenders meet the cowl and, inner fenders welded solid to strengthened sub frame rails. Every little bit helps! Some of the mods are hang overs from the cars semi pro-street days back in the early '90's.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t think I have ever seen a “history” of poor welds on any Chrysler product – except on rare occasion.

I do know that people have bad days (hungover, divorce, broken leg, etc.) so things do slip by – but generally quality control catches most “issues” beforehand.

Welding the seams on K-frame, and metal (aluminum or iron) K-frame mounts would be a must, as well as frame connectors. The cage will help with frame twisting.

I’ve seen a lot of banged up suspensions on the Tulsa Police Dept. and Sheriff’s Dept. has put on these cars (F & M’s) and I have no concerns whatsoever on the suspension handling it (front or rear) – except for possibly traction control.
At least the tires today are better than what they had 40 years ago.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I think the "bad k-frame" thing comes from the early police cars mostly, where they couldn't keep the camber in spec. The upper control arm bracket "towers" would bend in towards the center of the car. I have no personal experience with the problem but have read about it. I do remember seeing F and M's in scrapyards back in the '80's with about 5 degrees negative camber but that's only because the k-frame rusted out. Basically, the upper control arm brackets were sitting against the side of the subframe rails (or what was left of them). Also recall seeing the ones that the k rusted out around the mounts and had almost come off the car. Cars rust fast in Wisconsin:(

Back