Stupid question from a newbie - clamps-?

MyPly76

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to the forum, so sorry for a stupid question I'm asking, but really need an advice on a simple thing. What kind of clamps do you guys use? Because for me always something goes wrong with what I install. I normally get these guys:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDJNjTn7UVKx4H4ZiFXv2V7GiRPn9TUPgsyDZ6VI_xmA-lI6AN.jpg

But either this is my luck or quality - always get leaks or clams break. Maybe I'm doing something wrong (talking about clamps to hold radiator hose).
Now I am looking at these 2 guys:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBSvhWBTsYxpZzte43f_hx7E4PThZZB96WuDmnhP9sZmdGV6lD.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHGFD0DWsLHEQoK_XL7pPX_OiKnk4RxQm0m3SxfMYSLT7AMSp3Rw.jpg

Again, I feel that the question is too stupid but hoping you guys will not laugh at me or ban...
Anyways, advice is appreciated!!!!
P.S. pictures are from google images

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Daily drivers I use standard worm clamps, made in USA....
And I always coat the hose bib or nipple with white lithium grease, this makes for easy future hose removals.....

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
When I use those gear-clamps on fuel lines, I put two on. But I stagger the screws 180*. Then you don' have to tighten them so much. And the big tip is, use the right size! This is mostly important in sizes under 1 inch.
I run a 7psi radcap. My hoses last for decades,and the clamps only have to be snugged.My rad is circa 1973.I guess it's just over 44 years old now. I've owned it since about 79, and I don't think I've ever patched it. About 16 years of those were in storage tho,sooooo the truth is it's been running 7 psi since 1999.

I have used those crimp-clamps with the special crimper, to good effect. Getting them off tho, can be a pain.
The other one you pictured is an excellent piece.

Master M

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to the forum, so sorry for a stupid question I'm asking, but really need an advice on a simple thing. What kind of clamps do you guys use? Because for me always something goes wrong with what I install. I normally get these guys:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDJNjTn7UVKx4H4ZiFXv2V7GiRPn9TUPgsyDZ6VI_xmA-lI6AN.jpg

But either this is my luck or quality - always get leaks or clams break. Maybe I'm doing something wrong (talking about clamps to hold radiator hose).
Now I am looking at these 2 guys:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBSvhWBTsYxpZzte43f_hx7E4PThZZB96WuDmnhP9sZmdGV6lD.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHGFD0DWsLHEQoK_XL7pPX_OiKnk4RxQm0m3SxfMYSLT7AMSp3Rw.jpg

Again, I feel that the question is too stupid but hoping you guys will not laugh at me or ban...
Anyways, advice is appreciated!!!!
P.S. pictures are from google images
I like the USA made stainless steel worm drive clamps in your 1st picture. I use a little silicone grease to lightly coat the inside of the hose so it eases installation and removal. The key is not to tighten it up enough for the rubber of the hose to push through the little worm drive slots in the clamp.

MyPly76

Reaction score
I use a little silicone grease to lightly coat the inside of the hose so it eases installation and removal. The key is not to tighten it up enough for the rubber of the hose to push through the little worm drive slots in the clamp.

Maybe that's the thing.. Thanks for sharing the secret haha

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
STAY away from the cheap stuff (which is sold at most locations)!

Most of the factory clamps, even today, uses spring clips in either wire or flat steel.
They are faster to attach/remove, and self-tighten.
Wire clamp.jpg

Flat clamp.jpg

MyPly76

Reaction score
BudW, I never tried these ones, man.... And haven't seen these sold. Will check e-bay. I guess I will go on experimenting on different kinds of clamps and will stick to the one after. Thanks for all your help and sharing experience!!!!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
For finding pictures, eBay, is my friend. That said, I will avoid saying any more before I bite my big toe . . .

They make plyers for using the above mentioned clamps (wire or flat),

spin_prod_207719301.jpg

This is for flat clamps (like most of my minivans, use). If you notice the small red lever, that is the release button. Just attach both ends over clamp, squeeze and it will hold it in position while you move hose & clamp into position. Then push button and it releases the clamp. Pretty quick.

3.jpg

These come in many variations. There is a slot on head for both ends of (wire) clamp. Some have the “hold open” button, some do not.

Both are MUCH faster than trying to find a screwdriver and trying to get clamp to cooperate with you, etc.
BudW

Edit: Seldom did the factory use screw clamps. Most got replaced over the years with screw clamps, over the years.
I’m thinking conspiracy theory . . .

Aspen500

Reaction score
Main advantage to the spring clamps, besides looking much nicer,,,,,,,,,,is the constant clamping force as the hose expands/contracts and ages. That's the biggest reason you rarely, if ever, see screw clamps in the OEM. The spring clamps are less likely to leak. Same basic thing with the heat shrink clamps. Downside to those of course is they're one time use and have to be cut if hose removal is needed.
What I've found over the years with screw clamps is they tend to get over tightened which can also cause leaks, and they can cut into the hose, come loose, etc.........
JMO.

lowbudget

Reaction score
Here's what I use on smaller line such as Harley oil lines and tranny lines as they look so much cleaner. I've always used a small pair of channel locks to remove the spring clamps.

crimp clamp.jpg

Back