Super Coupe Restomod Project

JohnRogers

Reaction score
I started with a solid Super Coupe out Redding, CA. It didn't have T-tops or the Sunroof I wanted but I didn't want a solid Super Coupe to slip away. I bought Chris and Dave's car from the following thread.

http://www.aspenandvolare.com/showth...per-Coupbought

Chris said it needed some TLC and it did. Tires, shocks and the battery on the 3,000 mile drive home. Although it didn't appear to use oil during the cross country trip I had leaking fluids in the garage, engine seals and a rebuilt transmission fix that.

First mod was ditching the single exhaust and cat. I have true dual exhaust but I'm not satisfied yet. It was supposed to have T/A or AAR style mufflers so the mufflers aren't under the front seats. That will need addressing. The side exhaust tips are nice.

Next was ditching the trusty Thermoquad for Holley Sniper EFI. During the install all the "smog" was removed. 1968 pre-emissions air cleaner. The engine seems to really breathe better.

Fresh air hood scoop. The twin A-Body scoops look great but all they did was catch air. I have a nice clean hole in the hood so the trapped air has somewhere to go and maybe provides some extra cooling.

I should have an A-Body style hood tach installed this week. I'm painting it tomorrow.

I wanted T-tops or a sunroof. Today I got my "moonroof" and will enjoy open air cruising.

My list for the offseason.

Rear Disc Brakes

Sure Grip: differential, 3.55, replace axel shafts?

Electrical: replace wiring harness?

Over Drive: most likely a Gear Vendors, maybe an A500 transmission.

Firm Feel: steering box, basically replace everything suspension front and rear.

Engine Rebuild: off season for power about 330hp.

Interior: fine for now but needing attention in various places.

Post Smog.jpg

Sunroof open.jpg

Carlisle 2.jpg

My SC.jpg

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Although I fully understand the thought process and being your car, your money I just hate to see nice org. cars go this route when there are so few left weather a SC,RR,RT ect... folks pay good money for them just to do what could of been done to any rust free V8 coupe and a nice paint job. Like trying to turn a pinto into a mustang vs just buying a mustang.

Your car does look nice and when it comes to get your correct mufflers, the repop t/a ones are stupid costly but there are two aftermarket companies that make the same type (in/out) on same end and of different sizes vs the small t/a pipes.

Electrical: replace wiring harness?---- There is one that will work on your car (ac, fender turnleads, ect) on ebay nos and its costly but the only one ive seen for sale in many a moon, seller had a non ac, no turn sig lead, ect and priced it way too cheap so I snatched it up then he raised his other $250 more then it was listed for.

Its an odd cycle, I spent over thirty years playing hot rod only to spend the last few restoring a couple back to oem.

Im sure you realize all your oil leaks was simply the norm for a older engine that suddenly sees an extended use, just like our old bodies, we tend not to snap back like we once did.

You should see the guys listing for the $400 package of front end rebuild parts, might be a great deal for you.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
It's probably a bit of a rare thing with no T tops, I don't think I remember seeing one without.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
It's probably a bit of a rare thing with no T tops, I don't think I remember seeing one without.
Huh?

Its the exact reverse in reality.Small percentage were T top cars.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
That's cool, I remember the local Dodge dealer had one when they were new, he had it for a long time and I think finally did a dealer trade with it.

JohnRogers

Reaction score
Although I fully understand the thought process and being your car, your money I just hate to see nice org. cars go this route when there are so few left weather a SC,RR,RT ect... folks pay good money for them just to do what could of been done to any rust free V8 coupe and a nice paint job...
Thanks, you provided some good tips on my list items. Starting with the Super Coupe as the base of the build helps, a lot of what I want is already there. Its almost like leaving the dealership in 1978 and heading directly to the local speed shop. I did wrestle with my decision. Two thoughts kept coming back.

1. rare doesn't always mean investment grade. I have doubts that our F-Bodies will ever gain the status of late 70's GM F-bodies. Too bad Burt Reynolds didn't chose a T-Top Road Runner Super Pak!

2. if down the line the car is properly cared for and maintained. The next buyer could undo everything I'm doing. I've kept the Thermoquad and my "crate of smog". I'm leaning toward a Gear Vendors so the 727 can remain, so I'm not modifying the trans tunnel. All that would be needed to go back to stock is a driveshaft. I'll keep all the original brake system parts. I'm going to keep my engine rebuild relatively mild, 330 hp range. Yes the roof will require some body work but nothing a serious collector couldn't have done if wanted.

I respect the one year effort of the Super Coupe and Kit Car packages. Yet I want this car to be a fun driver, out there being seen and maybe educating some folks that Mopar muscle didn't die in 1976.

4speedjim

Reaction score
That's a very pretty car! Damn I love it! Im excited to follow your build up! That's a pretty car.

JohnRogers

Reaction score
Got the car back today from the interior shop. My console was all cracked plastic, faded faux wood, peeling faux chrome and a mismatching black lid. I had the seats rebolstered and replaced the 40 year old weather seals some of which was missing.

46866269_10217475906998957_1759528812749520896_n.jpg

46968776_10217475907478969_6647191888971431936_n.jpg

46975335_10217475907198962_1013377278425432064_n.jpg

46975342_10217475906278939_7425885965295550464_n.jpg

47341552_10217475906078934_4893067974736347136_n.jpg

Opticon77

Reaction score
Oh I very much like these kinda "factory should have done it" builds.

Stitched leather over the plastic just makes sense now that I see it. Who did that work for you?

barbee6043

Reaction score
I personally like what you are doing. Like said, if you sell to a purist, it can easily be put back to OEM. You are not destroying anything I can see!
Everyone would like to increase the hp of their engine in any of our old cars. These F bodies an se it. Seldom do we find even the purist that would not like more power.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the work they performed. The problem we have is the console lids haven’t been available for decades – nor are they being re-popped by anyone. To have a decent console – you must do something and in this case, I approve.

It looks nice, not out of place and looks tons better than the normal (ie: cracked/split) ones.

I think if a company would re-pop these – the would sell quite a few of ‘em (. . . but what do I know).
BudW

volare 77

Reaction score
I had asked ABC moparts about making the dash pad and console door for the F body. He said he was working on it but finding a good used sample part is hard to find.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not excited about taking my car apart – but the (no A/C) dash pad and (4-door) A-pillar trim are in wonderful shape on my wagon and would make for excellent examples.
BudW

volare 77

Reaction score
ABC said they may be doing the f body dash pad later next year. They said they were going to do the console door but they couldn`t find a good example. Anybody have a real nice one? I`m not sure any of mine are good enough.

Back