1. WANT TO BE FEATURED IN OUR 2019 CALENDAR???
    For details, click here: Be Part of our 2019 Mopar Calendar
    Dismiss Notice

Super Coupe Restomod Project

Projects & Restorations

1. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Active Member

I started with a solid Super Coupe out Redding, CA. It didn't have T-tops or the Sunroof I wanted but I didn't want a solid Super Coupe to slip away. I bought Chris and Dave's car from the following thread.

http://www.aspenandvolare.com/showth...per-Coupbought

Chris said it needed some TLC and it did. Tires, shocks and the battery on the 3,000 mile drive home. Although it didn't appear to use oil during the cross country trip I had leaking fluids in the garage, engine seals and a rebuilt transmission fix that.

First mod was ditching the single exhaust and cat. I have true dual exhaust but I'm not satisfied yet. It was supposed to have T/A or AAR style mufflers so the mufflers aren't under the front seats. That will need addressing. The side exhaust tips are nice.

Next was ditching the trusty Thermoquad for Holley Sniper EFI. During the install all the "smog" was removed. 1968 pre-emissions air cleaner. The engine seems to really breathe better.

Fresh air hood scoop. The twin A-Body scoops look great but all they did was catch air. I have a nice clean hole in the hood so the trapped air has somewhere to go and maybe provides some extra cooling.

I should have an A-Body style hood tach installed this week. I'm painting it tomorrow.

I wanted T-tops or a sunroof. Today I got my "moonroof" and will enjoy open air cruising.

My list for the offseason.

Rear Disc Brakes

Sure Grip: differential, 3.55, replace axel shafts?

Electrical: replace wiring harness?

Over Drive: most likely a Gear Vendors, maybe an A500 transmission.

Firm Feel: steering box, basically replace everything suspension front and rear.

Engine Rebuild: off season for power about 330hp.

Interior: fine for now but needing attention in various places.

Post Smog.jpg

Sunroof open.jpg

Carlisle 2.jpg

My SC.jpg

2. XfbodyX

XfbodyX Well-Known Member

Although I fully understand the thought process and being your car, your money I just hate to see nice org. cars go this route when there are so few left weather a SC,RR,RT ect... folks pay good money for them just to do what could of been done to any rust free V8 coupe and a nice paint job. Like trying to turn a pinto into a mustang vs just buying a mustang.

Your car does look nice and when it comes to get your correct mufflers, the repop t/a ones are stupid costly but there are two aftermarket companies that make the same type (in/out) on same end and of different sizes vs the small t/a pipes.

Electrical: replace wiring harness?---- There is one that will work on your car (ac, fender turnleads, ect) on ebay nos and its costly but the only one ive seen for sale in many a moon, seller had a non ac, no turn sig lead, ect and priced it way too cheap so I snatched it up then he raised his other $250 more then it was listed for.

Its an odd cycle, I spent over thirty years playing hot rod only to spend the last few restoring a couple back to oem.

Im sure you realize all your oil leaks was simply the norm for a older engine that suddenly sees an extended use, just like our old bodies, we tend not to snap back like we once did.

You should see the guys listing for the $400 package of front end rebuild parts, might be a great deal for you.

3. Oldiron440

Oldiron440 Well-Known Member

It's probably a bit of a rare thing with no T tops, I don't think I remember seeing one without.

4. XfbodyX

XfbodyX Well-Known Member

It's probably a bit of a rare thing with no T tops, I don't think I remember seeing one without.
    Huh?

Its the exact reverse in reality.Small percentage were T top cars.

JohnRogers likes this.
  5. Oldiron440

Oldiron440 Well-Known Member

That's cool, I remember the local Dodge dealer had one when they were new, he had it for a long time and I think finally did a dealer trade with it.

6. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Active Member

Thanks, you provided some good tips on my list items. Starting with the Super Coupe as the base of the build helps, a lot of what I want is already there. Its almost like leaving the dealership in 1978 and heading directly to the local speed shop. I did wrestle with my decision. Two thoughts kept coming back.

1. rare doesn't always mean investment grade. I have doubts that our F-Bodies will ever gain the status of late 70's GM F-bodies. Too bad Burt Reynolds didn't chose a T-Top Road Runner Super Pak!

2. if down the line the car is properly cared for and maintained. The next buyer could undo everything I'm doing. I've kept the Thermoquad and my "crate of smog". I'm leaning toward a Gear Vendors so the 727 can remain, so I'm not modifying the trans tunnel. All that would be needed to go back to stock is a driveshaft. I'll keep all the original brake system parts. I'm going to keep my engine rebuild relatively mild, 330 hp range. Yes the roof will require some body work but nothing a serious collector couldn't have done if wanted.

I respect the one year effort of the Super Coupe and Kit Car packages. Yet I want this car to be a fun driver, out there being seen and maybe educating some folks that Mopar muscle didn't die in 1976.

7. 4speedjim

4speedjim Well-Known Member

That's a very pretty car! Damn I love it! Im excited to follow your build up! That's a pretty car.