Superior Trans Parts TF-TC Kit

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ok I have the 360 in now, I have bolted it up to my 998, may kill it who knows but should get some life out of it. Anyway I have one of these TF/TC Correction kits, but what I wanted to know is it has regular duty and heavy duty options, can anyone tell me what the differences are or because I have gone to a 360 should I be looking at the heavy duty option?

TF-TC Kit (Superior KTF-TC )

Shift Correction Package

This valve body kit deals with these problems: * Lockup shudder * Premature clutch failure * Premature band failure * Inadequate lube oil * Inadequate line pressure * Converter burn up * Weak 2nd and 3rd shifts

1. One kit does all 727, 904 through 999's, 1962 to 1995.
2. The Superior KTF-TC kit gives the option of choosing lock-up speed.
3. Delivers full time lube.
4. One kit will do regular, heavy duty and extreme heavy duty applications.
5. It addresses converter problems on all years.
6. An easy to use adjustment tool is supplied with each kit.
7. Case saving information is provided in this package.

44-Web2.jpg

Thanks
Bruce

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I had a similar kit in my hand a couple of years back, and a really good local transmission shop, and then my mechanic both told me the same thing. They would not install the kit into my existing trany. They said that it would radically change the dynamic operation of the trans in a manner that the unit was not accustomed to handle. In short they said that it would end up killing my trans in 6 months. It would be a different thing if they were rebuilding the trany, and I asked them to install the kit. They said they would not have a problem with that at all.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Very interesting, I only bought the kit because I was told that changing the diff ratio from 2.2 to 3.21 will lower the lock up speed and blow the lock up in the converter. Can any offer any advice what I should do to the Trans to increase the lock up speed?

Thanks
Bruce

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi,

Ok lets think this through, my car has a 2.2 rear end, tires are 26.25" tall and lock up is supposed to be set at 42mph. That means in top gear at 42mph the car is doing 1200rpm. So I change the rear end ratio to 3.21 at 1200rpm I will be doing 28.5mph. I suspect this is the approx speed the lock up will come in after the rear end change, am I on the right track? Is there an expert in the house who can recommend where I get a spring that will adjust the lock up to say approx 50mph with the 3.21 rear end?

Thanks
Bruce

slant6billy

Reaction score
I had been told many years ago that a "shift-kit" would wear out a trans faster. However, in the last few years I had jeep guys in the ZJ world with 5.2 magnums and Dakota guys running 3.9 and 5.2s point me to a trans shop locally to dispel the early wear theory. My 1995 van had a 3.9 with a non overdrive 999/904 trans with a lock up converter (non computer type). The trans leaked like mad, but shifted great with no hesitation. Got it rebuilt by the local shop and he said that a shift improvement kit would prevent premature trans failure. I figured the trans was good on its own. My 97 Ram was the sloppy trans from day one (I'm the original owner). So the 97 is a candidate for the kit. Later two other trans shops re-confirmed it. Especially with those OD mopar trans. Summit sells a few different brands and I have some unknown brand in my Volare'. I've been know to bang shift, neutral drop and flat out abuse the trans like it owes me money. I don't drive my 97 Ram as harsh as the Plymouth.... atleast not until I put one of those shift improvement kits in.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Ok I am a little worried about what Darth Car has said, ok when used for a rebuild not so good on an existing trans. I don't want to blow my tans up in months, all I really want to do is shift the lock up higher when I do the rear end swap.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I checked out the Superior and it looks like the Trans Go. You bought your Superior kit new and recently right? It wasn't sitting around or second hand hand me down? If it is new, put it in. It is not the old "Shift - kit" of hacking out parts to get the 2nd gear to chirp. It does give you improvement

slant6billy

Reaction score
To caution... if your trans has issues.... slips, hesitates or is not performing satisfactory, then you don't want to install it until you get them correctted

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Trans is in good shape, no known issues, I had a seal go on the reverse servo and when it was apart the trans shop said it was all good inside, I actually asked them to install the kit then but for some reason they didn't

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Found this on the net about a guy who has used one.

This may help somebody. Last weekend I installed a Superior TF-TC shift kit. I used them because this is the only kit I found that has a stiffer spring that can be installed in a lock up Torqueflite. The kit is very easy, just make sure you follow the instructions for the proper years (there are instructions for early 904's, non-lock up and lock up). The installation consisted of drilling one .093 hole in the valve body, removing two check balls, drilling 5 holes in the seperator plate, installing a stiffer line pressure spring, and a choice of two springs to install in the lock up module. One for sooner engagement of the converter, one for late engagement. I chose the later engagement, so that it does not lock up untill around 48-50 MPH. The shifts are nice and firm on all shifts, and lock up engagement is barely noticed. Also, your coverter will fill even in park. I highly recommend this kit, and it doesn't cost to much: About $42 or so off of eBay. Just be prepaired for a transmission fluid bath. I actually let my trans. drain for a week after I removed the valve body. Good time to do a band adjustment as well.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I'm voting you install it. Do you know whether you have the lock-up converter or non lock up? The non lock up are stronger, but less practical obviously. The 904s are capable of some abuse. The 998 you have should be just fine up to 450 hp. My trans is out of an 85 AHB Diplomat, so before I abused my trans, a few cops were beating on it. It was never rebuilt and the kid who put the shift kit in- well, maybe he was not high when he put the kit in. I think you should be ok. You going to attempt it yourself?

slant6billy

Reaction score
Should be a lockup for that year. The 999 in my van was a lockup and had like the Wiki description - a lower first gear and at 50 miles per hour the lock up engaged. You would kind of feel the converter jump in and out around that threshold

Aspen500

Reaction score
I go along with the others. If the trans is solid and in good shape the kit will be fine. I think the concern is, higher pressure and faster pressure (from less accumulator cushioning) could cause problems with marginal clutch piston seals.

Being an auto tech, I also would not install it into a customers trans at work without building the entire trans so I can understand Darth's shop saying they wouldn't do it. Too much chance of putting the kit in and then having the trans fail which leads to (in some cases) the "ever since" syndrome. Big difference between your own vehicle and a paying customer. Put it in your own car and have a failure and it's one thing, in a customers car is something entirely different. You know what I'm getting at.

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hello Aspen500,

Ok this is the goes with my trans, car has done 73,000miles, It had lost reverse when I bought it, took it to the trans shop and they took the pan off and found the seal around the reverse servo had gone, they replaced the seal, they said from what they could see inside and how the trans performed there were no issues with it. They found no metal filings or anything in it suggesting to them that there were any problem, the oil was clean and the filter was clean, he said the filter didn't need replacing. So I think its an ok candidate for the TC-TF kit. What would you expect out of a TF trans, I am thinking 150,000+ miles before a rebuild??

So the trans has not been out of the car and disassembled. I dunno what you can see with the valve body removed.

Would you go ahead with the kit?

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited:
Back