Sure Grip Wanted

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Anyone have a 8.25" sure grip (LSD) carrier and the bits to convert my open rear end into a limited slip rare end. I see they came out in all sorts of things even jeeps, since my rear end is a 1976 one it will be a 27 spline.

For those who don't know I am in New Zealand so if you could help a fellow mopar guy out down under it would be much appreciated. I think we could USPS it to NZ.

Thanks
Bruce

aspen77rt

Reaction score
You might want to canvass your country thoroughly for you unquie situation. Or just bit the bullet and get a new mopar or other aftermarket unit. IIRC a 27 spline 8.25 SG unit has been used up until the mid-90's.

Jeep Cherokee
Dakotas

Bruceynz

Reaction score
they are not here, we got Jeeps here but they all had the 6 cylinder engines and didn't have the 8.25" I think they had a Dana 35 but other people may know, I am not a jeep man. What I would like is an 8.25" LSD with the 3.55 ratio ring and pinion so I can change it all over to that ratio and start making my mark on NZ roads, oh I am a bit old for that carry on :) Does the mopar racer ever die in you as you age? As I have aged I have found I have money for my hobby so can get the go fast bits I could never afford in the past hahahaha

Bruceynz

Reaction score
ebay has a couple of used ones with everything in good condition for $299 and $289 with ring and pinon, 27 spline LSD,
--- Post updated ---
Dodge Plymouth Mopar 8.25 8 1/4 Sure Grip Trac Lok Posi 3.55 Gears 27 spline
--- Post updated ---
--- Post updated ---
--- Post updated ---

Hi Guys,

What I do in life is help people out if I can, there are other mopar people in NZ, I have at times bought the wrong bits or had bits that people want to get them back on the road, I will sell the parts that cost me money for the same money, I don’t try and make any money and other parts I have given to people to help them out, I bought the wrong shocks once and gave them to someone who could use them. I always hope that what goes around comes around so I am hoping there maybe someone out there who would sell me an LSD at a fair price. It would be really good to have good traction in my car and since the rear end is sitting in my garage it’s a good time to think about changing it to an LSD.

There are people out there purely for the money, for me its about the hobby and helping people getting their mopar on the road.

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
There are 2 on ebay both with 3.55 gears, but how do you know what one is good :/

one is $299 and one $289 both include 3.55 ring and pinion and the LSD carrier. What wears out in them?

80mirada

Reaction score
buying used is a crap shoot at best. If it has a lot of miles, from city driving the LSD can be wore out, or if they used the wrong lube (no LSD additive) Bad bearings, or odd gear wear. I have an used 3.91 LSD that I never could get a satisfactory pattern on the gears, and had to just slap it together to go to storage. Now, I have to tear it back down when i get back to it just to do all over again.
--- Post updated ---
Oh yeah, make sure to get a 27 spline unit, 29 spline would have to be custom made for our cars.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
So what i am hearing is go new, what life do you expect out of one when set up right? If you abuse them do they still last or does it shorten their life, I have been trying to find out how they work, I came across a 1950s Chrysler video that was explaining it, was a blast from the past LOL LOL

80mirada

Reaction score
They die from poor maintenance. Abuse will wear them quicker, but if it is setup correctly 100,000 miles is not unheard of. Using the correct fluid, changing it after an appropriate break in and regular maintenance will make a well setup differential last a damn long time.

Back