Survivor or no?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Ok. 1979 Diplomat. One owner, everything original down to the vinyl roof EXCEPT it's been repainted once. Does this disqualify it as a survivor at a judging?

Mopar Envy

Reaction score
Ok. 1979 Diplomat. One owner, everything original down to the vinyl roof EXCEPT it's been repainted once. Does this disqualify it as a survivor at a judging?

CLICK HERE for judging rules. You can decide for yourself. It says that if the entire body was refinished, and your's isn't, but the other three areas are unrestored then the car would be classified as a survivor. Open the link and read for yourself. Don't listen to me, its a bad habit I have of doing research before making a post.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
CLICK HERE for judging rules. You can decide for yourself. It says that if the entire body was refinished, and your's isn't, but the other three areas are unrestored then the car would be classified as a survivor. Open the link and read for yourself. Don't listen to me, its a bad habit I have of doing research before making a post.

Ouch.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Not trying to be argumentative Frank (please don't send the boys over) BUT I'm pretty sure it HAS had a full re-paint. You can tell the rear end where it says Dodge is redone. There's fisheyes all over the trunk as well as the rockers. The VIN sticker on the drivers side door is plastered with overspray and the headlight bezels and grille all show evidence of a really bad taping job. A little overspray on the grille itself. Smells like a full re-paint to me.

I ain't sayin', I'm just sayin' .

Jonno

Reaction score
Not trying to be argumentative Frank (please don't send the boys over) BUT I'm pretty sure it HAS had a full re-paint. You can tell the rear end where it says Dodge is redone. There's fisheyes all over the trunk as well as the rockers. The VIN sticker on the drivers side door is plastered with overspray and the headlight bezels and grille all show evidence of a really bad taping job. A little overspray on the grille itself. Smells like a full re-paint to me.

Couldn't you ask the old lad you purchased it from or if he is not available his family members or who ever tipped you off originally may know about the paint.
Look through old invoices if you have them to see if you can find any evidence of bodywork. Part of nailing down originality is doing some detective work, eh Captain!

efriedrich

Reaction score
I would say no, to me a car with a repaint isn't what I would call a survivor.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Couldn't you ask the old lad you purchased it from or if he is not available his family members or who ever tipped you off originally may know about the paint.
Look through old invoices if you have them to see if you can find any evidence of bodywork. Part of nailing down originality is doing some detective work, eh Captain!

Well, we did ask the old timer (Eastyorker and Mopar Envy alias Frank were with me). Only trouble is he spoke about 98% Croatian and 2% english. Frank asked him if he'd had it painted and he said "Ya...i paint". Then he asked him if he just had the front fender painted and he said....."Ya....I paint". :violent1:

D Dodge

Reaction score
They make it a little confusing. I think they mean that that only if it has all original paint, which could be more than 50% deteriorated, and the other three areas qualify, the car could be considered a Survivor.

Eastyorker

Reaction score
Who cares if its a survivor? Doesn't make it any faster! Drive it....

Mopar Envy

Reaction score
From the website link......

Examples

Exterior
DSC01199_001.JPG

If all the chrome/ trim and glass was restored (or even missing) but the exterior paint remained unrestored and well preserved, then the entire Exterior would still pass. (The chrome, trim, and glass typically constitute less than 50% of the exterior surface area.)
P1010047_000.JPG

If the entire body was completely repainted, the Exterior would fail.
Picture1.jpg

If the entire body remained in its 100% original factory paint, however, more than 50% of it had faded beyond reseaonable representation of the accurate color, then the Exterior would fail.
Picture2.1_000.jpg

BUT...as long as the other 3 areas (Interior, Under Hood and Chassis) remain unrestored and well preserved, then the car would qualify for SURVIVOR.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score

Hoses and other assorted under hood items need to be changed too. So there goes the engine category.

Last edited:

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I had that with my Lebaron 2dr. It was still wearing the Mopar hoses, but it's not like I wanna go far with those.Then the car had lots of dings on the passenger side, but the paint was still fine.So 'Period Original'?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
For sure this thing's had a full repaint and if I want to make it to the beer store more than once I need to do all the hoses plus plugs wires etc. There's no way I'm springing for date coded wires AND I'm gonna ditch the lean burn. So as I said before..there goes the engine compartment category. Survivor? I think not.

Back