Swapping /6 to small block info

SlantSixSullivan

Reaction score
I learned something new today, which was useful for me and may useful information for some of our members here. For Christmas last year, I was gifted a set of Schumacher engine mounts to do a swap of my slant six Valiant, and drop in a 360. That car has since been totalled, and I thought the mounts were now useless to me. So I got on Schumacher's website, trying to find the correct mounts for my M body Diplomat to do the swap this spring. To my surprise, I found that the mounts I had already purchased will work for my M body! I'm extremely pleased. Schumacher /6 to small block mounts for 1973 and up A and B bodies are the exact mounts you will need to convert your F, M, or J body to a small block car, without the need to swap the K member. If anyone has these mounts laying around, keep in mind the vehicles they will fit. It may be good to know one of these days. That is all, my friends!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, A, B, C, F, J, M & R body mounts 1973 and newer all used the same engine mounts within 3 different classes (/6, big block and two different versions of small blocks (273/318 and 340/360, which one side is slightly wider)).
Correction, the 73-74 E bodies used a different style mount as well as pickups/vans

BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's one of the MANY things I love about Mopar, they don't feel the need to make different design parts for each body style and the same parts fit lots of years, unlike some other companies. Ford comes to mind :)

slant6billy

Reaction score
Speaking of mounts that convert slant to V8, This was 440 Volare's 80. I thought he told me the conversion mounts worked for both small block and bigblock somehow? Do they flip over or something? I remember him saying the Schumacher's were eliminating the rubber so "Solid mounts" for better results.
IMG_20160618_102710.jpg
IMG_20160618_104024.jpg
IMG_20160618_103827.jpg
IMG_20160618_102555.jpg

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Billy, that car has /6 to sb conversion mounts.
The /6 to bb conversion mounts are a different item.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Just get a set of b body spool mount bb mounts to drop a bb into a f body.
There is more to it than that.

The '72 down biscuit engine mounts used the same K-frame on small blocks and big blocks (for the most part).

The '73 up spool mounts, Chrysler changed that. The B and C body cars that used both small and big blocks, the K-frames are different enough that it wont work without modifications. The mounting bolt locations sit at a different height (big block is lower, I think) and one mount is offset to the other side (which will strain all 3 mounts when installed.

I have a few NOS spool type big block mounts and was planning on using them, until I read up about the K-frames on B-bodies and C-Bodies – and decided the Schumacher's mount might be the best route.
That said, even the Schumacher mount requires K-frame modification to work correctly – so I'm undecided.

I would prefer the larger rubber mount that Chrysler used compared to Schumacher rubber mount – if possible.

BudW

Back