T-Tops-Volare-Questions

David Clark

Reaction score
I did a search on the Forums here for T-Tops and the Results were nothing, Not even my Wanted T-Tops Post on the Body parts wanted section.

Anyway, Did they make 2 different T-Tops on the Volare's?? I have a 77 with T-tops on it, Original I am assuming, and I called a Car Recycler place and they Have one from a 78 but the Dimensions are WAYYYYYYY off compared to mine. They are saying its 34 3/4 by 25 1//4 for the one that they have. Mine is (just the Glass itself Mind you) is 22 5/8 Side to side and 29 Inches from Front to Back. If the one they have is 34 3/4 long (front to back) that Puts it in at Just Right behind the damn windshield molding, I am assuming the 34 3/4 measurement is front to back as the whole width of the roof it only about 49 5/8 inches across, which means that if the measurement for 34 3/4 were side to side, the tops would be wider than the Roof.

Is there a difference between the 77 and 78 T-Tops, I thought they were all the same. The price is reasonable from the Recycler, but He Won't ship it unless my dimensions are the same as his.

David Clark

Reaction score
Well, if that's the case, then the Junkyard that has the ones for a 78 Won't fit. But still, where the heck does the 34 3/4 Measurement come from? That would be from Edge of Windshield to Edge or Door Pillar (end of Door Glass) on my Car. I didn't think T-Tops went that far fwd or cut that far back past the Door Glass. From all the pics of them I have seen online, they sit about 6 inches or so from the back of the windshield, to the the back end of the door glass.

Ugh, I am sooo confused.

Justwondering

Reaction score
David - take a deep breath. Someone will chime in soon.
I'm still trying to figure out which a/c compressor to get without having to crawl under the silverado truck. lol

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
On the A/C compressor.
If there is a choice of two, Murphy’s Law indicates it will always be the other one (so pick one . . .).

2003 Silverado 5.3L, I only show one option for the A/C compressor.
Or, are you referring to the 2000 one?

David Clark

Reaction score
ANYONE have any information on these T-TOP's, I can't find any info on them anywhere other than Pictures of them on the internet.

Surely someone here has some info on them.

droptop

Reaction score
I have a 79 RT with t tops. I will get some measurements and pictures for you as soon as I can. What are you needing, the measurements of the glass panels?

droptop

Reaction score
These measurements are for the driver side t top on a 79 Aspen R/T
Image 2399 is front to back in the center. That is 29.5"
Image 2400 is front to back on the outside. That is 27.25"
Image 2402 is side to side at the center of the front locating pin. That is 22.25"
Image 2403 is side to side at the center of the back locating pin. That is 22.75"
Image 2404 is one of my favorite tools. This 12 foot tape measure was my Dad's that he got when he bought a new 73 Dodge truck. Needless to say, the tape measure outlasted the truck. He traded it in 2 years later when it started rusting through in multiple locations. He was so mad at Dodge, he went out and bought his one and only Ford product.
IMG_2404.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG
IMG_2402.JPG

IMG_2400.JPG
IMG_2399.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool tape measure!.

My dad had purchased a brand new ’72 D100 (or whatever year the new body style came out) and used it for his business for a very long time.

He then bought one of the first extended cab pickups of that same body style (’73 or 74, maybe) brand new. Someone he didn’t know stopped him on road and bought that truck from him, a couple of weeks later. He bought another one and then gave it to a family member a couple months later (my aunt/his sister was just diagnosed with cancer, and she couldn’t bend down to get into a car).
So, in less than a year’s time, he had 3 different brand new extended cab pickups – possibly the first three in the Tulsa OK area.

I thought it was odd, that on his 3rd extended cab pickup, he bought a new camper shell for it, maybe a year later – and another person pulled him over asking for details about it (this time he wasn’t selling).

I can’t remember how many new Dodge trucks he’s purchased over the years. He bought a new ’94 Diesel pickup six months before that body style was even released. I bought it from him about 15 years ago. Just three years, he’s bought two more diesel Rams – both of which cost more than my house did (traded the second last one in for new one – didn’t like the gear ratio on one previous).

Justwondering

Reaction score
My dad used to be like that, trading trucks every few years just cause he could.
Eventually, I was in a pickle and he gave me his old Chevy Silverado cause he wanted a 1 ton.

One of the best parts of the trade was my morning phone call to him on cold days. Usual chit chat, but somehow I always worked in the remark ...
"I really, really love these heated seats"
"Its so cold, this heated seat feels really good on my back"
-- something like that
which I immediately followed with ' too bad your new truck doesn't have heated seats! '

He then says a few disparaging /insulting remarks and hangs up.

I must have done that for 3 years or so... til he bought him a car with heated seats.

I laughed every time. He does too now when he tells the story.

Back