Tail light seals failed

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Does anyone out there know what the silver goo is that dodge used to seal the tail light lenses on my 78 aspen to the housing as mine are leaking.

80mirada

Reaction score
I have had good luck using RTV to seal the lenses back on. We used either windshield urethane or JB Weld at the salvage yard I worked in

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Tail light seals

I have had good luck using RTV to seal the lenses back on. We used either windshield urethane or JB Weld at the salvage yard I worked in

Yeah, I had thought of that but was a little leery of using RTV in case I ever wanted to take them apart again. Silicone does not like to let go after it sets up.

Aspen500

Reaction score
For what it's worth, the Chrysler p/n for the stuff is 3798253 but I kind of searched around the 3M site and didn't find anything like it. May not be available anymore(?)

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Thanks for the P/N. Greatly appreciated. Will check on availability. Just found out (the hard way) that Castrol Superclean at full strength will remove damn near 100% of the silvering fron inside the tail light assy. in one pass. Guess I`ll be buying a silver spraybomb & doing some masking and painting.

80mirada

Reaction score
oh yeah, super clean is what the model car guys call the purple pond. it will take most paints off plastic safely, and vapor deposit chroming (chromed plastic) tends to come right off the plastic in it too.

Mopar 3798253 is discontinued. Dap clear silicone seems to be the most popular with the custom LED tail light builders.

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Gasket?

That P/N shows up as a gasket. Is that the gasket to seal the tail light to the car body or the sealant to seal the lense to the light assy housing.

Aspen500

Reaction score
That P/N shows up as a gasket. Is that the gasket to seal the tail light to the car body or the sealant to seal the lense to the light assy housing.
In the '79 parts catalog it shows that as the seal between the lens and housing. Gasket between the light and body has no p/n, just says "serviced in lamp assembly".

I can remember on the '78 Cordoba I had back in the late '80's the front side marker lenses and taillight lenses would fall off and got the "glue" from the dealer. Seems like it came in strip form, similar to something like the 3M strip caulk except it was stickier and grey colored. That was a long time ago so I might be remembering wrong (disclaimer).

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Mopar 3798253 was the part number that was thrown out there.

I'm guessing it's Mopar gasket material and not a die cut gasket.
Lambert will tell you.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Appears the 3798253 p/n is a preformed seal but the same p/n is shown for Aspen wagon, Newport, etc, so it has to be some bulk material. Now my curiosity is up and need to know the real answer!

This is a photo of the parts book page (item 12).

Of course, the p/n I gave is from 1979 and most likely was/has been superseded at least once or twice since then and this number is no longer valid.

DSCF0006.jpg

Last edited:

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I saw that number being used in fender extension seals too, so I go with my guess it's Mopar material and not a die cut gasket.

Brads and Collectors also show the part number.

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Thank all you guys for your very detailed help. It is greatly appreciated. Good to know there are still people out there that will stop & help instead of just driving by while talking on their cell phone.

compubert

Reaction score
on my 76, it was a double sided black foam rubber gasket with glue on both sides. I can see mine clearly as the lens fell out of the remaining housing a week ago... all dried out and crumbly. . red notebook cover in the other one soon....

Aspen500

Reaction score
Thank all you guys for your very detailed help. It is greatly appreciated. Good to know there are still people out there that will stop & help instead of just driving by while talking on their cell phone.
Because not everyone has a cell phone (I don't).

My '79 lenses have the sticky gray stuff to seal the lenses to the housings. Really don't recall what I used to reseal them after disassembling for restoration other than it was something similar that came in a tube..............................

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Stopped by my local Dodge dealer today to price a couple of things and thought I`d see if the gasket P/N was obsolete or discontinued and found that it is discontinued but not obsolete. 2 in stock in Nova Scotia, 1 in Quebec, and 1 in Ontario. $7 ea. which is $5 with my discount and no shipping costs. I ordered 2 so if anybody else needs to reseal their tail lights there is still 2 left through your local dealer for cheap.

Back