Taillight Silver Trim Refresh

gporeilly

Reaction score
This should be an easy one for our resident experts....

Looking for a fix to renewing the silver/chrome paint on the taillights of my 5th Ave. Some of the silver paint on the "outlines" of the taillights has worn off from just normal everyday washings/waxings. The silver paint on the outlines of the taillight can easily be removed simply by rubbing with a little ordinary car wax on a cloth.

I thought of using a small model brush to try repainting by hand but my hand is not all that steady and doubt if it would leave a nice factory finished look anyway.

Another option I entertained was buying very thin chrome adhesive pin striping and applying with a utility knife. Would take a little time to get perfect but should look fantastic to have an even chrome finish look on the outlines of the lights again. Have already purchased the right size chrome pin striping at CrappyTire and think this is the way I will go,,, car in storage until Apr so this little task will have to wait till then.

Would appreciate any input regarding an alternative method

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The two ways I've pondered is the chrome tape that you're talking about.....definitely a more chrome like finish.

I did experiment with chrome paint...
You can read about it here.

http://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/cla...e-Paint-Taillight-Experiment&highlight=alclad

It turned out just okay

There are others though.
I've read that the Alsa Killer Chrome 3 stage process works really well but I personally haven't tried it.....yet.
But I plan to. In the meantime I'd say the chrome tape....which I have used is a good temporary fix.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
I've touched up F tail lights with a silver paint pen and a silver felt tip. Felt tip worked well, looked good from a few feet, but I do not know how well it would hold up. Easy to re-touch though.

gporeilly

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input.

Thinking that the chrome pin striping is definitely the way to go for a nice factory looking finish.

Now I just need my baby back from storage ...... 3 months and counting !!!

Aspen500

Reaction score
Might be a little late but,,,,,,,,,I did mine with the Eastwood Liquid Chrome system. It's tedious and you must follow the instructions to the letter however, it looks pretty darn good once finished. As for long term durability,,,,,,,time will tell.

Not exactly the best pic to see it but you get the idea. It's actually shinier than it looks. I had some good "in progress" pics of the tail lights until my old computer crashed and I hadn't done a back up for a while. Darnit.

pic8.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Might be a little late but,,,,,,,,,I did mine with the Eastwood Liquid Chrome system. It's tedious and you must follow the instructions to the letter however, it looks pretty darn good once finished. As for long term durability,,,,,,,time will tell.

Not exactly the best pic to see it but you get the idea. It's actually shinier than it looks. I had some good "in progress" pics of the tail lights until my old computer crashed and I hadn't done a back up for a while. Darnit.

Might have to try that stuff...

Aspen500

Reaction score
I used the Liquid Chrome on the interior also, like on the cluster bezel and did the edges of the air vents (now THAT was a study in patience!). As I said, follow the instructions EXACTLY, be patient and diligent. I used an air brush and highly recommend it for small work like this. Actually, it'd be almost impossible without an air brush.

I redid all the plastic chrome on the interior, plus some, and it turned out ALMOST like the vacuum plating. The multiple maskings were the worst part. My 50 year old eyes don't focus up close like they used to:sad7:

pic3.jpg

Last edited:

compubert

Reaction score
Wow, you guys up north got it rough. Park the good car all winter, and drive what as a beater? I cant imagine what would be durable enough to bang around in the snow, and still be worthy of toting my arse around all winter... ;-)

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Wow, you guys up north got it rough. Park the good car all winter, and drive what as a beater? I cant imagine what would be durable enough to bang around in the snow, and still be worthy of toting my arse around all winter... ;-)

My beater is the 87 Fifth. :foshizzle:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I used the Liquid Chrome on the interior also, like on the cluster bezel and did the edges of the air vents (now THAT was a study in patience!). As I said, follow the instructions EXACTLY, be patient and diligent. I used an air brush and highly recommend it for small work like this. Actually, it'd be almost impossible without an air brush.

I redid all the plastic chrome on the interior, plus some, and it turned out ALMOST like the vacuum plating. The multiple maskings were the worst part. My 50 year old eyes don't focus up close like they used to:sad7:

In your video's you get to see it.
Looks pretty good...
Gonna have to check that stuff out.
Even the alclad which didn't turn out like the original was a two stage process...so if this stuff works it's worth the extra work.

compubert

Reaction score
I don't believe I could regard that as a "beater" since I wouldn't want to add another dent to it. Seen pics and yours is an excellent example. . . I do agree it will take the winter in stride, but I would have to find a car I like less! Hard choices man!!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I don't believe I could regard that as a "beater" since I wouldn't want to add another dent to it. Seen pics and yours is an excellent example. . . I do agree it will take the winter in stride, but I would have to find a car I like less! Hard choices man!!

The Fifth was $600 and I sunk a grand in parts and drove it like I stole it.....but I couldn't see it get wrecked so I worked on it this year and cleaned it up but it's always been the beater.....I think I need a shitbox next year though.
It's been through enough of this crap.

Back