Teach me about dogdish hubcaps... word c

Gearhed

Reaction score
I'm about to order new tires for my 5th ave, and I'm planning on ditching the wire caps, and going to a dogdish/poverty hubcap for that "muscle" type look. Looking around, I see about a ton of different styles of caps for sale, yet I've never been able to find where anyone has ever given a breakdown of what the various caps were from, and when they were used. I know the ones with the holes are police car, and the ridiculously priced redlines are from a/b/e body performance models. As far as the rest of the 9" caps, I'm lost. Obviously there's no "correct" one for a 5th, and I'm just going to do what I think looks good, but I'd like to learn what is what

Gearhed

Reaction score
Btw I have no idea where that random "word c" bit in the title came from, my phone has a ghost touch problem and must have done something wierd when it was freaking out while I tried to type, and I didn't notice. Is there a way to edit titles of threads?

Aspen500

Reaction score
No, can't edit titles. Sorry, I don't know much about what dog dish came on what model. I always liked the ones on my dad's '68 Coronet (that he ordered and bought new) and wish I'd have grabbed them before the car went to that great cruise-in in the sky a couple years ago, when it became rotted beyond ANY hope of repair.
image-jpeg.jpg

Gearhed

Reaction score
Yeah, those are some pretty nice ones. From what I've seen, looks like that general type of cap was on b and c bodies in the late 60s. I really like these ones, which seem to be 60s a body. I've also seen a plymouth version of these, which is the same except for a different logo in the center

Screenshot_20210306-080125~2.png

Gearhed

Reaction score
The ones that have me really confused are these ones, which would have been one at least some FMJ cars. There seems to be several different varieties of this same cap. There seems to be ones that have the black areas like this one, then there's also ones that have them in dark grey. Then I've also seen ones than are the same stamping, but the entire cap is painted in a matte silver. Anyone know what vehicles had which?

Screenshot_20210306-080757~2.png

Ele115

Reaction score
I don't remember them coming in different colours, but they definitely faded badly in some cases and would look gray. The one above is what they would look like new or in a nice garage kept car. If you find any that are chrome like a mirror, they are from China. They won't have that spun/brushed texture either. Wheel Vintiques and places like that sell a lot of them.

Camtron

Reaction score
I have no specifics but, there is this gentleman with a few vintage sets available on FB Marketplace. Look like they’re in great shape still too. Figured I pass it along in case you’re looking for a set to buy.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The ones that have me really confused are these ones, which would have been one at least some FMJ cars. There seems to be several different varieties of this same cap. There seems to be ones that have the black areas like this one, then there's also ones that have them in dark grey. Then I've also seen ones than are the same stamping, but the entire cap is painted in a matte silver. Anyone know what vehicles had which?

View attachment 42409

the only paint on those ones is the black in the ribbed part which they stopped doing at some point. My guess is most with any more paint then that are probably sellers trying to make scuffed up ones look better.

The ones like that with holes started sometime around 78.

Gearhed

Reaction score
Maybe the ones I'm seeing are just unpainted then, I've seen ones that don't have the black areas and seem like a really matte finish, I assumed they're painted

Screenshot_20210306-124054.png

Camtron

Reaction score
Maybe the ones I'm seeing are just unpainted then, I've seen ones that don't have the black areas and seem like a really matte finish, I assumed they're painted

View attachment 42418
Definitely look like they’ve been painted or sandblasted. Hard to tell by the photo.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I would guess there is maybe 80 different styles of the dog dishs caps, that Chrysler used over the years. That dropped down to one consistent theme in the early '70's (see post #5) but even then there is still a lot of variations of it.

I've never figured out why, but the police vehicles used caps with the ring of holes on them (Lower left picture on post #7) – but even then, I would find the occasional police car without holes (but might because police stations might have older spares, in case of lost or damaged caps?). I don't care for the holes, myself.

I prefer the small hubcaps, myself. It makes for a simple but elegant look (IMO).
The downside to converting to (I call 'em dog dishes) is full size hubcaps always leave marks (and scratches) on the paint afterwards – which looks tacky. The wire hubcaps leave even deeper scratches than flat hubcaps do.
20210306_121224.jpg

These are the original hubcaps for my (base model) '77 Volare wagon – but the original 14” wheels have been replaced with '80's M-body 15” wheels (mainly because the 11¾” brake rotors won't work with 14” wheels), The scratches are dug into the metal – so no amount of sanding will remove those marks. That said, I do have plans on purchasing a new set of 15” police wheels for this car so I don't have to worry about these scratches.
20210306_121224c.jpg

Wheel Vintage Screenshot 2021-03-06 122437.png

One last thing. I have read on how full size hubcaps are not preferred for hard usage because of a lack of airflow to brakes. I can't comment about how much a factor this is, first hand, but it sounds logical. The normal wheels have four vent holes (if you want to call it that) where the two wheel parts meet at – but not sure just how much air would flow through there.
The police wheels do have larger holes – but even then, not sure how much air would actually go though them – but still would be more than using full size hubcaps.

BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of variation of dog dish hubcap coloration over the years. I think Chrysler liked to change the coloration every other year or so (...I suspect). The color on my '77 is light gray. I have seen dark gray, dark black, light black and plain (nothing).
Some that have a red pinstripe on them, as well.
BudW

Gearhed

Reaction score
Yeah, I have 2 full sets of steelies, both are pretty scraped up/surface rusted/generally ugly looking. One was spray bombed blue at one point or another, was probably on a cop car I'd guess, has since been poorly brush painted gloss black. Will be repainting whichever set gets the new tires. Gloss black would obviously be wrong, but were the wheels originally a flat black or more of a semigloss/satin?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Not quite gloss and not quite flat. Maybe right at that 50% mark (maybe)?

I just obtained a used set of police wheels, that were "rattle-can" silver painted (and a poor job, at that) and also full of hubcap scratches. I was thinking about seeing what I can to clean 'em up and get re-painted. Then use them to replace the standard wheels used behind the wire hubcaps on my '86 Fifth Ave, when it is time to change tires out.
The Volare wagon needs new wheels for it.

Note: if the wheels are exposed, it might be a good idea to also put a coat of wax on 'em. Nobody likes dull wheels...

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
That could be too the caps being sand blasted instead of painted. I think the 80s ones not having holes is older caps being put on or ordered wrong (or cheaper) ones from mopar.
I think usually that's when people use trim rings as a quick way to hide the hub cap scratches.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The scratches can be repaired, although it's a lot of work. Once the wheel is down to bare metal and is sanded down where the scratches are so there's no high spots in the metal, you can spray high build primer, then sand, spray, sand, spray, sand,,,,,,,,,,,,,etc. Eventually, the scratches will be filled. Body filler tend to not hold up well on wheels. Might be the heat or the fact that wheels actually flex when in use (?)

Miradaman

Reaction score
Why not go with poor man's rally's
.Get some cop car slot wheels. Probably no more than $25 a piece. Then get twenty chrome lug nuts, and four chrome trim rings from Pepboys, etc. I did this on one of my Miradas untill I get one with the ten sppoke factory mags.

Kramer79

Reaction score
If you have cop wheels for 25$ I’ll take them! I think I am going full hubcaps for now to keep it original - but do all dog dishes fit the center the same, be it cop or regular wheel? Awaiting my spindle so I can go back to random wheel and tire combos to dream up... although I may go cheap 215/75 15 whitewalls for now

Miradaman

Reaction score
If you have cop wheels for 25$ I’ll take them! I think I am going full hubcaps for now to keep it original - but do all dog dishes fit the center the same, be it cop or regular wheel? Awaiting my spindle so I can go back to random wheel and tire combos to dream up... although I may go cheap 215/75 15 whitewalls for now
That is what mine cost when I bought them. Plus a couple cans of silver metallic paint.

Back