Tell me what i got here :)

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
20170423_152555.jpg
20170423_152647.jpg

4speedjim

Reaction score
2 tags full of code! They didnt miss a check mark when that was ordered! I cant decode it but I can tell ya it is loaded!

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
AHHA Its just the same tag in different light/angles! LOL Sorry for one being upside down, uploaded from my cell phone.. clearly didnt work out right! haha

I already know it has basically everything offered at the time, was just curious to see if anything was hidden on those tags as to what she's got. :)

kkritsilas

Reaction score
My 1981 Mirada CMX has two fender tags, joined by the same screw. Tags are body color except where they overlapped; that part is medium grey (probably primer colour).

89.Fifth

Reaction score
MSA - Badge: Limited
NCA - Air Pump
NDA - Catalytic Converter
NHM - Speed Control
END - ???
JPC - Trunklid Release: Power
LAC - Illuminated Entry
LAM - Warning Lamp: Door Ajar
MMF - Moldings: Daylight Opening
MRB - Cladding: Lower Bodyside
AFF - Luxury Group
CBC - Seat: Bench 60/40 Split
GFA - Defroster: Rear Window
GSJ - Mirror: Left Power Chrome
GTJ - Mirrors: Power
HAB - Air Conditioning with Auto Temp Control
C17 - Pack Code D5150201 ??
VGP - ???
DGA - Transmission All 3 Speed Automatic
C - ???
APA - Monotone Paint
PM9 - Black Cherry Pearlcoat (FM9)
QM9 - Black Cherry Pearlcoat Secondary Paint
S9M6 - ??? (this comes up as two conflicting seat codes)
ELA - Engine: 5.2L 8 Cylinder 2bbl Gas
MFS41 - California C.A.R.B. Emissions Code for Fifth Avenue/Newport 1984-1989
VIN - JW14500 (JW is 1988 and it was #14,508 of 43,486)

Last edited:

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
No sir. Only one tag on this one, curious what that mirada above had for more options over this one, as i figured it was mostly loaded.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Ir is a CMX, so I think that had its own code as an option package. The white striping had a code, as did the fake convertible top. Power mirrors, both sides, like yours. Power seats, buckets in this case. Remote trunk release. The "Chronometer" digital clock. Criise control, but regular (i.e. not temperature controlled) air conditioning. Separate power amp in the trunk. I think there were two colour codes, one for the body (red), one for the vunyl top (white). Console (I think it gets its own code). AM/FM Cassette deck. Tinted glass. 318-4BBL/A999 power train. Power Windows and Locks. A couple of trim codes and lighting packages. Had the brushed aluminum look interior accent package vs. the fake featherwood accent package that was in my other Mirada and on my Cordoba. Probably doesn't look as luxurious, but it held up better to the sun.

I think the car was only missing the temperature controlled air to have every possible option available.

Last edited:

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Sounds pretty sweet! The temp sensing climate control is my favourite part! :)

It keeps it warm in the mornin and cool later in the day, without input. Beauuuty.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that the temperature contol on our cars actually heated things. I just thought that it coooled to a temperature setting then shut off. After the car warmed up, it would start and cool the temperature back down. It is referred to as a semi-automatic temperaure control for that reason. News to me that it can heat and cool.

The fully automatic temperature controlled air conditioners have the ability to heat and cool. You set them to a temperature, and they heat the car to reach it in the winter, and cool the car in the summer. If you have a car like that, just set it to a comfortable temperature and don't bother changing it. I had a system like that in my Lincoln Mark VII; no need to ever change it. you could direct the airflow where you wanted or even go to MAX AIR for rapid cool off, and it would still stay at the correct temperature.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The SATC (Semi-Automatic Temp. Control) runs the A/C pretty much full time (except when under 40’ F, or out of sufficient refrigerant).
It controls the temp by varying the amount of hot air to blend in with the cold air (cold air being fixed).

It works well, when the system works.
When it doesn’t work, it gets stuck (usually) in a full heat (or close to it) position.

When you look into all of the (additional) parts the SATC uses, there is not much to it, at all.
BudW

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
I heard a myth somewhere about the fender tags........hopefully someone who knows can either verify or put it to bed for me. I heard that if you take your tag into a Chrysler dealership (maybe it was the VIN), they can pull up the original build sheet for the car. This is too good to be true, right?

89.Fifth

Reaction score
I heard a myth somewhere about the fender tags........hopefully someone who knows can either verify or put it to bed for me. I heard that if you take your tag into a Chrysler dealership (maybe it was the VIN), they can pull up the original build sheet for the car. This is too good to be true, right?

That might have been true 20 years ago but when Chrysler changed hands 3 times most of their records and old parts went into the dumpster.

Back