The death of Chrysler?

Aspen500

Reaction score
At least we'll still have Dodge..............Chrysler only has 2 models anyways. Chrysler never came back from the Daimler destruction. They did so much damage, it ruined the brand. Remember Daimler and the era of cheapo plastic interiors. Always amazes me the difference between the "Daimler" Charger and my dad's 2012 "Fiat" Charger. The older ones have the worst interior in history. They wouldn't be OK even in the lowest price econo-box of the 1980's. My dad's 2012 on the other hand, is very nice inside.
That said, I see 300's and Pacifica's all over the place, so it isn't like they don't sell a bunch of them. Then again, when the killed the Dart and 200 the claim was "lack of sales", yet you can't go 5 minutes without seeing a Dart or 200 somewhere, so I'm not sure what they consider good sales. I always go back to when GM ended Saturn because it "never turned a profit in 20 years" but there was, and still are, Saturn's everywhere you look so how it never turned a profit is the mystery of the century. Car companies,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,who the hell knows how they think.

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The ex and I looked at 200s in 2015, the stickers were 22k to 26k and with 4k off and the cars were not selling.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The minny van ,200, 300 and challenger are thirteen year old platform's.
The first two older!

89.Fifth

Reaction score
The 200 was a brand new platform, built off the Alfa Romeo Giulia. The Minivan has been on the way out for a while, replaced by Pacifica, also a new platform.

volare 77

Reaction score
Pulling Fiat out the US was no surprise. Those junk boxes weren`t any good when pulled out of the US the last time in the 80`s. No different this time around either. I think they sold about 26,000 cars all of last year in the US.

droptop

Reaction score
Been dead for almost 20 years now. All they have left to offer is an overpriced minivan and a car that was due for a redesign many years ago.

Aspen500

Reaction score
To be honest, I can recall seeing a Fiat around here MAYBE twice. Don't have a Fiat dealer here so that may have something to do with it, no idea where the closest one is. I do see 300's, 200's (the new one), Challengers, Chargers and Dart's everywhere I look, along with T&C/Caravan and now Pacifica of course. The Dodge Journey, not so much. Could just be there's a lot of Chrysler/Dodge people that live in this area, who knows. I guess whatever happens with Chrysler happens, sad as it is. They survived Cerebrus (the people that new absolutely NOTHING about cars and the car business), then it got worse with Daimler and now Fiat. At least with Fiat in charge, SOMETHING got done. Without them, the Challenger probably wouldn't exist. What other company would authorize the Demon? :cool:

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
Without them, the Challenger probably wouldn't exist.
Problem is, Challenger is a halo car and they lose money on every single one sold. They need to sell the hell out of bread-n-butter econo-poopsters to make that money back... economy of scale.
Jeep makes money. Chrysler doesn’t. Just like the Germans or Cerebrus (whoever killed Plymouth) don't care about legacy, neither does Marchionne.
Oldsmobile and Pontiac are gone, Buick exists mostly because of the Chinese. Cadillac is fighting the big Germans, Japanese, and even S Korea for market share while Lincoln can barely put a blip on the screen.
People are buying Asian imports like crazy because they offer exceptional value and don't come w the baggage involved in American cars today.
If I was looking at buying a new car or SUV there's not much on the Mopar radar and I don't think that's a coincidence. I think we'll all be gathering around w the DeSoto, AMC, and Plymouth (and Mercury, and LaSalle, and, Imperial, and... Saturn) owners in the "orphan corner" at the car shows soon.

Gator

Reaction score
i think so too jeep and ram will be sold off and dodge could possibly .be gone too never know with corporations

old yellow 78

Reaction score
we need the plymouth brand back
I agree. I remember being floored when I found out that Plymouth was being discontinued. Although I grew up in a GM family, Mopar, and Plymouth in particular, had been my favorite car since I was 13. That was when my father bought me a 1951 Dodge Coronet for a "field beater". I loved that car. I have had 8 or 9 F bodies since, and ALL were great cars. I've only ever had one Chrysler, and that was a '98 Sebring convertible. It was an OK car, but I don't ever want another convertible. I hate to see the familiar old makes go, Plymouth, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury, and before that, Studebaker and Rambler. I grew up with them and could identify them a mile away. Now, I'd hate to see Chrysler disappear too. But, times change, nothing stays the same. Just kind of sad.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
dodge could possibly .be gone too
Ugh, what an awful thought. Makes me value my beloved OY even more.
IMG_20170515_135838926_HDR.jpg

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
My family was never brand-centric... I started out w Chevys because (one oddball aside, who was a Mustang fanatic and ended up being my "bestie") all of my HS friends had GM products. And a goofy guy that I tended to idolize a bit (Cool senior to a 9th grade freshman) happened to wheel a 70 Monte Carlo SS. My first car as a 16 yr old was a 72 Monte Carlo w a 402 and buckets, horseshoe shifter, and waaay nicer than Bluto Blutarski's (his HS nickname) 70 SS. He eventually made his bitchin', a beautiful car.
A Marine buddy got me involved in Mopars (I had a 66 SS 396 at the time) in the 80s and I've been pretty loyal to the brand ever since car-wise. I do own a pair of F150s and I'm not averse to installing HEI in a Mopar (purists wilfully forget the Saginaw steering when they wail about "GM CRAP" in a Mopar). I hate to see another brand, especially a Mopar brand, get the axe. But it's kind of the way of global marketing in 2018. Platform-sharing and brand engineering can only go so far and the LX platform has run it's course for Chrysler, I'm afraid. If they can't sell 300s anymore then there's no compelling reason to keep the brand around.... a real bummer, but not life-altering.

Last edited:

Duke5A

Reaction score
I'm not averse to installing HEI in a Mopar (purists wilfully forget the Saginaw steering when they wail about "GM CRAP" in a Mopar).

I guess you've never needed to take a Saginaw tilt column apart before because the bolts backed out. It was crap! lol.

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
I guess you've never needed to take a Saginaw tilt column apart before because the bolts backed out. It was crap! lol.
Yeah, my Cordoba needed some help in that department... so did my old Blazer, now that I think of it.
My comment was about people who call something garbage or crap just because it was invented by someone other than their preferred maker. I include our "side" in that... Mopar guys can be a judgemental bunch. Ford guys might be worse.
Real crap and garbage deserves to be called-out.
Kinda like Glock fanboys who deride every other manufacturer just because it's not a Glock. I'd happily pit my euro-trash HKs, Walthers, and SiGs up against any generation of Glock.

Last edited:

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
My Chrysler died in 1983 with the death of RWD V8 2dr cars.
I didn't get into 4dr RWD 4dr leftovers until the 2drs dried up.

When I was young, I drove anything and everything but in the last 35yrs I've only had 2 non Mopars and they where winter cars.
A 74 Monte Carlo and 82 Cougar 4dr.

Back