Torsion Bar Bushings -

Millmech

Reaction score
End bushings on torsion bars, Are there recommended places to have bushings replaced? Any place that will sell torsion bars with bushings installed?

Aspen500

Reaction score
You're pretty much out of luck on both questions. The only t-bars (to my knowledge) are the ones made by Firm Feel, and they are bare bars. The factory bars complete assy's are long since discontinued. The end bushing assemblies are more or less made of unobtainium also, unless you happen upon some NOS ones (either Mopar or aftermarket like MOOG) on Ebay or similar places. There are poly replacements but they require reusing the original shells and sleeves. Since they're spot welded together, you need to carefully cut the shells apart to remove them. No need to weld them back together, although a couple tacks help installation. Once installed, the bolts will hold the shell halves together anyways.

As far as where to have them replaced, not a clue. Finding a shop that knows how and is willing to take the job, could be tough. Sorry, don't mean to discourage you!:cool:

Camtron

Reaction score
Johnny at Welcome to Poly Bushings.com has Poly bushings available for FMJs torsion bars. He’s a great guy.
As mentioned above, it’s a pretty involved job. The shells have like 4 spot welds apiece, cutting the welds out or drilling them out removes quite a bit of material from the shells (I filled material back in on mine with a MIG welder and refinished them for confidence driving down the road) . Then once you have the shells off, you still have 2 nasty little pins that hold the bar ends onto the bars...which is a nightmare to attempt to press,beat, drill or burn out of the bars. (The bars are made up of like 9 or 11 pieces counting the bushings). The bushings can be sliced to avoid having to deal with those pins, but their nearly rock solid and then you’re then dealing with a whole other set of issues.
it can absolutely be done, but as far as replacing parts, it’s probably one of the more difficult jobs on these cars and definitely requires more than your average set of tools and physical abilities...even if you find NOS ends that are complete, you still have to overcome those two pins that hold the ends onto the bars.
It can be done, best of luck.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
When building my car a few years ago, you could still get the right t-bar from Mopar (for a price, ouch) so that's what i did. The other one I "rebuilt' and changing the end bushing is something I hope to never do again. Also at that time, you could get end bushing assy's yet whih made it a LITTLE bit easier, but not much ! lol

Sub03

Reaction score
I installed the polybushings six months ago, and I was kind og disappionted with poor fitment.
The end bushings was a little short and going over bumps made them move a little and the right one made a clunking sound.

20200506_203032.jpg

Eventually both sides made an annoying squeaking sound.
Then a funny thing happened; after searching for end bushings in the states for a long time before the rebuild with no luck, I typed in the part# on a website selling US car parts here in Norway. The Moog replacement came up. Got them installed on the Aspen and was very pleased with them.
I guess the parts store here had them on the shelf for years, not many F/M/J's left here anymore.

The pivot bushings doesn't fit too good either. It seems like the hole in them are too big for the T-bar:
20200819_193452.jpg

Camtron

Reaction score
I installed the polybushings six months ago, and I was kind og disappionted with poor fitment.
The end bushings was a little short and going over bumps made them move a little and the right one made a clunking sound.

View attachment 41619

Eventually both sides made an annoying squeaking sound.
Then a funny thing happened; after searching for end bushings in the states for a long time before the rebuild with no luck, I typed in the part# on a website selling US car parts here in Norway. The Moog replacement came up. Got them installed on the Aspen and was very pleased with them.
I guess the parts store here had them on the shelf for years, not many F/M/J's left here anymore.

The pivot bushings doesn't fit too good either. It seems like the hole in them are too big for the T-bar:
View attachment 41620
I have the same thing going on. I was expecting them to open up/flatten a little bit, it always happens with Poly, but yea, it’s a bit rough looking. I don’t have any squeaking yet though, but I also used more bushing lube than what they supplied with the set. Idk, after a year of daily driving the car with the bushings in, I don’t have a real complaint about their overall functionality just yet.

volare 77

Reaction score
I have the same problem with the poly on the pivot bushings getting deformed and loose. I ordered the firm feel ones this time but I haven`t installed them yet. I don`t know if they are any better though.

Camtron

Reaction score
Moog actually responded about an inquiry I made. While the bar end bushing kits are unavailable currently, with enough requests, there is a chance we could get them made; eventually. They actually encouraged me to have as many people as possible request the part.
This link will take you to the inquiry form. If enough of us fill it out and ask for the bushing kits to be put back into production, it may actually happen.
Suggest a Part.
Can’t hurt to try since we have members on here from all around the world.

D59005B9-1156-4EF9-91DD-DBC1EA98B3F2.jpeg

Aspen500

Reaction score
I have the FF poly on the not NOS bar on my Aspen and it's worked perfectly for 4+ years. You need to get the FF upper plates to properly support the bushings. What I like is, they give you a pattern and you drill the u-bracket for a grease fitting and there's a channel in the bushing for the grease to get to the center where it's needed. To be honest, I haven't greased it since installation but no squeaks so.....................

The rubber one I put on when rebuilding the bar lasted about one summer and,,,,,,,,,,clunk, bang, clunk. All the grief it took to get it on the bar, finally using animal birthing liquid (which is the slipperiest substance known to man, lol) and still BARELY having success, and 2 seconds with a utility knife to remove it.:eek:

I thought about that (MOOG) last night. I spent a bunch of time searching every place I could think of to see if I could find end bushing and came up zip. I'll be sure to get back to their site and make a request. It's a part needed by many that's currently made from an unobtainium alloy.

Hayzoos

Reaction score
I submitted my request. I identified that I got the link here. I also pointed out that the three bodies share alot of soft components which are drying, hardening, cracking, and just plain wearing out after all these years.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I did the same and also mentioned the mounts fit '76-'89 F/M/J body (actually I elaborated more specific than that but you get the idea).

Back