Trailer lights

Justwondering

Reaction score
Why?
Why?

Today I take the red trailer down to the estate to swap it for the big black car hauler.
Before I leave, the red trailer lights were not working.
Were working when I parked it. Ah, some goofball along the way repaired it with clamshell connectors instead of butt end connectors.
I fix that.

Get there, drop the red trailer.
Back up to the car hauler and notice one of the lines is dragging.
Yes, in fact the green wire is draggin on the ground.
Apparently a zip tie failed as I can see no conduit for the wiring to run through.
I fix that.

Then I notice one of the safety chains is lying on the tongue, loose. Crap-ola.
The safety pin is missing.
I go get one from the barn.
Get it on the hitch and I'll be -- the lights don't work.

Probably has something to do with the green wire that was hanging that I corrected. Something else must be pulled loose.
Dang it.
It certainly seems like I spend quite a bit of my time and money repairing trailers and yet when I want to use one, there is always something wrong with it.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
More proof that “trailers” like to party – while not being watched.
They appear to go through the brier bushes (and get flats), go off-roading and lose parts and shake other parts off. They also have the tendency to blow every light bulb – as if they went fishing and caught an electric eel, or something.

I borrowed my brother’s car hauling trailer, about 10 years ago (or so) and had to spend a good day getting it road worthy. I gave up on the wiring on it and just replaced it with all new lamps, and connector.
In my brother’s case, I think his trailer went chain sawing, while the owner was away . . .
BudW

Back