trailer towing 101

slant6billy

Reaction score
Got to move an enclosed 30 footer. 25 was the most I ever towed. Always like a good new adventure and challenge.

Any pointers or advice would be appreciated.

10secRR

Reaction score
Towing is easy , backing up is a challenge .. LOL
I have a 35' motorhome and a 24' enclosed trailer , fun to back up .

slant6billy

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yep the "back up" is my problem. I've got 14 foot wide driveway up the side of my house. However,
pavers1.jpg
pavers 2.jpg
pavers1.jpg

this is tough approaching the house at a 45 degree onto the pavers. I'm trying NOT to hit or rub the house. I thought about putting a class3 box hitch on the front of my van (hidden behind the license plate). That way I can push it into place.

pavers1.jpg

pavers 2.jpg

alfatar

Reaction score
When backing up hold the bottom of the steering wheel. it is easier to back up.Oh practice practice practice. I bet are trucker friends could do it first shot. :]

10secRR

Reaction score
I back my setup beside my house around two pine trees and the edge of my garage.. Piece of cake. LOL

1-IMG_4349.JPG

1-IMG_4350.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
That is a killer setup you have. What is it powered by? I assume it is a pusher diesel?

10secRR

Reaction score
That is a killer setup you have. What is it powered by? I assume it is a pusher diesel?

Thanks , Nope it is a 502 Chevrolet.. Damn shame it has more towing power than my 12 valve Cummins.. I get 7.5 miles to the gallon but will cruise around 70 mph all day long..

roadrunnerman

Reaction score
Just angle your trailer into the driveway. Your trlr wheels are your pivot point. When you think it is time to turn the wheel, that's when you should have done it.

ramenth

Reaction score
Don't be afraid to hang your head out the door either, especially at an angle.

Pop used to back 53' boxes up the driveway that was just barely wide enough for a 102 box. He'd angle the trailer's ass towards the driveway, open the door, stick his head out, and follow the trailer into the driveway. Once the rig was straight, he'd shut the door, and follow it the rest of the way with his mirrors. I use this technique every time I need to angle the 23' dovetail into place.

After driving truck for 25 years, though, he backed up more miles than a lot a people go forward.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I just did the head out the door- actually door completely open to view my front wheels. It is soo true where you have the front wheels of the tow rig in regards to where the trailer will go. And that was just a 16 footer for roadrunninmark. He is now a resident of Georgia- somewheres outside Atlanta? As for that 30, I can't seem to stop playing phone tag on that deal. It may not happen at this rate.

slant6billy

Reaction score
OK. So the Toy trailer was once a live in trailer. It is 35 feet long and just under 8 feet wide. It has dual axels with the old split rims 14.5 inch. Lights and power and AC/ Heat. It has a bathroom with a tub and shower and toilet. The hard part. It has four flat tires and the bead is bad on all. The left side has two expanded sides section. There is a an 3 foot extension for the bedroom that is 6 feet in length. The forward living room has a 8 foot section that hangs out 3 feet as well. These are not crank in type. There is a flange type tip in thing going on. From what I can see, these are meant to slide in after separating the wall from the floor. The extension floor has a continuous hinge on the large and the small slide out. I really kicked my own ass trying to slide the smaller section in. I'm to the point now, I would pass on this free trailer with a title. Since I'm popping motrin for the muscle pull in my stomach or hernia possibly. My budy sad he wants to see my trailer dilemma. I may just rent a 12 inch gas powered cutting wheel and cut the extensions off the easy way. Anyone ever deal with this expanding side trailers? That don't have mechanisms to slide back in?

Back