Transmission Service Fluid Change

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
So I have drained all the Transmission fluid from my Aspen and boy did it ever need it. No metal shavings in the bottom of the pan is always a good thing. I also replaced the old cork gasket that was rotted with a nicer thicker rubber gasket and replaced the old filter that was damn near gone with a nicer stainless steel filter. The question I have what are you guys running for fluids in your Dodges? Looks like I have many options ATF+ 3 or 4 and F fluid. So many brands out there on the market now days and additives Purple Castrol Max ect. What brands do you like? Thank You.

One of these days I will buy a service manual I am in need of one badly actually. But I do not want to buy the Haynes crap that you can buy out there now days. I prefer reading not just looking at pictures Lol.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Dexron-Mercon III
ATF+4 is synthetic and for newer transmissions.
ATF+3 would be fine but for an older tranny that was raised on the Dexron...
I'd stick with that...Type F is for Ford
Although I've heard people claim they like the shifting better you CANNOT mix the two...meaning unless you completely drain the entire system including lines and torque converter it's a no no....I've also heard others say it's crap so who knows.....I stick with what it came with and I've never had a problem.

Any quality brand would be fine I'd think.

Last edited:

alf44

Reaction score
i have had no problems running ford type in my 904 auto, been in there over 3 yrs now.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I think the ATF 4 was wreaking havoc on my trans in the form of massive leaking- but shifts were still good. ATF3 is the safest bet. Type F is Ford as stated here. Old drag racer trick to add it to mopar and GM to get that grab (slam) shift. Basically the B&M trick shift is a formula of Type F with a bit more clumps. I have been told the Type F will generate more heat. HEAT is bad bad bad. But like the Capt'n said drain all the old as best you can. My dad's trick was to do a transfusion. Get a siphon pump and drain off as much as possible. Measure it and put the same amount back in of ATF3. run the car a few months and do it again. I've seen the vac pump get it all, but please remember don't let it run dry.

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Only the trans fluid from the pan has been removed from the vehicle at this time. I use to have a vacuum pump to remove all the fluid from older vehicles and projects but I have no idea where I have put the pump at. The proper way would be to remove all of the fluid I know and start fresh with something new plus I have no idea what has always been used in it. The good thing is there were no metal shavings visible and the color was still like it should be unlike most I have seen in my life time. I have seen some really black and burnt trans in my life time and gear metal shavings. I am glad I do not have these kinda problems. Thanks for all the advice it has been awhile since I have did any kind of fluid services on any Dodges.

Last edited:

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I run atf-4 in my 904. That's what the builder recommended so I went with it.

ramenth

Reaction score
I run atf-4 in my 904. That's what the builder recommended so I went with it.

So do I, even for older transmission.

+4 superseded +3 which superseded 7176 which superseded Dex/Merc.

The biggest thing is stay away from the supposed mix with anything transmission fluids. Ain't good.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
So do I, even for older transmission.

+4 superseded +3 which superseded 7176 which superseded Dex/Merc.

The biggest thing is stay away from the supposed mix with anything transmission fluids. Ain't good.

Do you need to do a total flush?
Or can you fill it with +4 after doing a filter change if it had say Dex/Merc in there before?

ramenth

Reaction score
Do you need to do a total flush?
Or can you fill it with +4 after doing a filter change if it had say Dex/Merc in there before?

Ed, there ain't no doubt about it, I always do a full flush. If you can't, then stay with the Dex/Merc. It's like mixing conventional motor oil with full synthetic. The synthetic ain't no good if the engines full of conventional.

On our older cars flushing everything is easy. And not that pricey.

Pull the cooler hoses and put 'em in a tub that'll hold 15-20 quarts (the big round black oil change drop tubs can be had at your favorite parts/department store that sells oils) and crank the engine until it all pumps out. This empties the converter, too. Put the cooler hoses back on and fill with fluid - this does not have to be ATF+4, it's just to use new fluid to pump out any debris and sludge. Run it up to operating temp, working the gears slowly back and forth, check and make sure it's full. Then pump it all out again. Drop the pan, change your filter, do your band adjustments and fill with your fluid of choice. (My choice is ATF4 for stock transmissions. I have one trans that's not stock that I run Type F in simply because of the bands and clutch materials and the shift kit.)

This should be done at every service interval, rather you're changing to a different fluid or not.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Ed, there ain't no doubt about it, I always do a full flush. If you can't, then stay with the Dex/Merc. It's like mixing conventional motor oil with full synthetic. The synthetic ain't no good if the engines full of conventional.

On our older cars flushing everything is easy. And not that pricey.

Pull the cooler hoses and put 'em in a tub that'll hold 15-20 quarts (the big round black oil change drop tubs can be had at your favorite parts/department store that sells oils) and crank the engine until it all pumps out. This empties the converter, too. Put the cooler hoses back on and fill with fluid - this does not have to be ATF+4, it's just to use new fluid to pump out any debris and sludge. Run it up to operating temp, working the gears slowly back and forth, check and make sure it's full. Then pump it all out again. Drop the pan, change your filter, do your band adjustments and fill with your fluid of choice. (My choice is ATF4 for stock transmissions. I have one trans that's not stock that I run Type F in simply because of the bands and clutch materials and the shift kit.)

This should be done at every service interval, rather you're changing to a different fluid or not.

Precisely what I wanted to know.
Thank you Sir.

Back