Trim related question

Kaitsu

Reaction score
So here I am again, asking about F-bodied MoPars. This is partially for my exam so I´d like "clean" answers, answers fit for a mechanics teacher.

I know there are different trims, like SE, Hyper Pak, Fleet and Police. I´d like to know the differences between trims, like chassis, engines, special body- related things or interior treats.

My Aspen is said to be SE, that has Vinyl roof, 2- color paint with 2 horizontal stripes, going from side turn signal to the rear and back to other side turn signal. I have cruise control, vinyl interior (excluding seats, plain cloth), drivers seat (separated from co- drivers seat) with electric adjustings.

The fenders have chrome lists on top of every wheel houses, chrome strip also goes from front door to rear door, as well as one thicker one piece under the both doors.

Is it an original Special Edition? Oh yes, and if you know about other trims, please let me know the differences between the "basic, cheap- ass model".

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Check out the dealer brouchures. They're listed as Sticky's at the top of the F-body General Discussion forum.
Anything you need in addition to the information contained there, just ask. Be very attentive to not just the text, but the photos. There were different trim strips on different models, and oddly sometimes one would have the others trim. These also changed per the model years. There were also different striping options which could be had within the packages such as SE.

Your description indicates you likely have a 79 or 80 SE, as those are the only two years I'm aware of to have the wide rocker panel chrome trim cover, and available cloth seating.

One other area of noted differences between models which may not appear in dealer literature, is that SOME trim levels in the models were differentiated by VIN# second character. H-N, are first character. Volare-Aspen. The next character could be L,P,or H. All performance models, even special packages like Kit Car and Super Coupe were derived from the L model. P's were Premier and SE (Plymouth and Dodge). H designated the highest trim line that I've ever seen rarely on any F-body. I would imagine that a Premier or SE could hypothetically have a "H" 2nd VIN character, but it must have at least a "P" and that's all I've ever seen.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
The brouchure blew my mind. Yes, it´s -80 Aspen with 318. I checked the brouchure and saw that there werent 360 as engine option for 1980. Is it just a flaw or something on purpose?

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Ok, then I´m going for police car story, because if there are no 1980 models of Aspen with 360, my engine swap is flushed down the toilet since it cannot be road legal in Finland.

Back