TRIMMING BUMPER FILLERS

CM360

Reaction score
I need to trim the bumper fillers on the front and rear bumpers. Just enough to clean up the edges? Looking for that laser straight line. I don't think that a razor and straight edge will work. Are these made of urethane?

89.Fifth

Reaction score
I'd use something like this:

spin_prod_206414301??hei=64&wid=64&qlt=50.jpg

CM360

Reaction score
Have those cutters but would never give me a straight line. Thought about the router too but at 30 + years some parts are hard and other are softer. I'd be afraid of tear out.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I've got busted silver, fake chrome on the edge of mine so I can cover up the blemishes. I haven't tried the laminate tool, but if you do, let us know how it works out.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I had that chrome bead on the front bumper filler edge on my 5th. It was there one day and next day – gone.

High Speed Pursuit

Reaction score
Block sanding is my method also...a rigid block with 320 grit and some patience...finish with 400 grit to seal the edges prior to shooting primer on them...the 3 sets I've mounted on J Bodies were flexible fiberglass (not plastic) according to the manufacturer's web site....i have used fiberglass mat and resin on them to make them better...

CM360

Reaction score
Did the edge banding trimmer. Works if you are trying to remove the first 1/64 of the trim. As it gets thicker you push harder and it tares and the cut gets sloppy. If it were in a place,say vertical, you might get away with it. But against a chrome bumper, everything shows. I think one of the problems is the inconsistency with the density of the material. Too much heat and sun and its brittle, then soft spot and it distorts when pushing through a cut.

4speedjim

Reaction score
You may want to wet sand it. Dry it may roll up in balls when it gets warm from the friction, and it will help keep the cut and paper clean

Back