trunk key

LSM360

Reaction score
You could call dealership with your VIN but might be too old now otherwise a locksmith should be able to make one.

Aspen500

Reaction score
WAY too old for a dealer to still be able to access the key codes. If you have a locking glove box, you can pull the lock out (easier than getting the trunk open and lock removed) and have a locksmith make a new key. Provided the locks are still original, it should open the trunk as well. Other way is, pull the rear seat backrest and climb in the trunk, if you can fit. Otherwise send in a small child ;). On the back of the trunk latch is a slot. Stick a screwdriver in it and turn. The trunk will open and then,,,,,,,pull the lock cylinder and take it to the locksmith. If you have a tail panel cover, that makes things a little tougher though.

I believe SOME locksmiths can make a new key without taking the cylinder apart to see which tumblers are in it. Never seen it done but I've heard of it being done.

In a perfect world, the key code tags would still be with the owners manual packet.

Duke5A

Reaction score
A friend of mine used to have the Chrysler cylinder kit. He could make a key for anything. He passed away a number of years ago though. Don't know if his business is still operating.

80mirada

Reaction score
A good locksmith should be able to do a key by impression, I think they call it. Kinda pricey, but much less tearing the car apart

Ele115

Reaction score
The locks are VERY easy to pick. It's a very cheap wafer lock, but keep in mind the lock is upside down. Once it's open, you can replace it (the lock), or take the pins out and measure them and the height of the pins will tell you what the code would be for your new key.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It's a 5th avenue. It should have power trunk release so getting in would be no problem.
If you can get the trunk lock out without removing the cover that would probably be easier then dealing with the glove box but it would probably be best to give a lock Smith the option.
Does the glove box have the same number of pins as the trunk lock?

MoparDan

Reaction score
In a perfect world, the key code tags would still be with the owners manual packet.
Mine was written on the invoice

FB_IMG_1621040307157.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Not really on topic but,,,,,,,,wouldn't it be nice if everyone was like the majority of people in this country (honest) and we didn't need locks, keys or security systems? That's the way my brain works anyhow.:D

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yes it would. I have ZERO tolerance for criminals.

Have you made any progress on your trunk key yet?

mopops

Reaction score
guy here on site says he s got one , i want the glove box and trunk lock with key also need driver seat belt - spring came out of mine

Ele115

Reaction score
You could just take all of the pins and springs out of your trunk cylinder and reinstall it, then any of that era round Chrysler key would turn it open. Possibly even the ignition key, who knows? The pins block the shear line keeping it from rotating, so with those missing you could rotate it with just about anything. Keep the glove box unlocked. Nobody would know but you. It's not like there are gangs of people roaming the streets with 1970's Chrysler keys looking for cars to try them in.

Ele115

Reaction score
If it were me, I would find enough spare cylinder pins, then set the trunk cylinder up with the same pins as the ignition so the one key fits the whole car. I believe you use the round key like a fleet car if you want to lock the glove box.

DCAspen

Reaction score
I bought an NOS ignition,door and trunk lockset and the ignition key works for all the locks.

Ele115

Reaction score
There are about 6 ways through this. He could even get a few key blanks off FeeBay and impression it himself. It may take a couple tries but it's not DNA splicing. The locks in these cars are very loose tolerances, I wouldn't be surprised if he went slow and was patient with the file, he got it on the first try

mopops

Reaction score
If it were me, I would find enough spare cylinder pins, then set the trunk cylinder up with the same pins as the ignition so the one key fits the whole car. I believe you use the round key like a fleet car if you want to lock the glove box.[i am no longer able to do work that requires fine motor skills.. great video tks very much

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
In the '80/'90's, I have seen a locksmith make a handful of Chrysler keys (single sided), ignition and trunk, on several vehicles (lost keys) using a new key blank, a file and a tad of smoke (from a cigar lighter) averaging about a cut key every 30-40 seconds (and key works that lock just fine). He would then take the "filed" keys to make duplicates in his van, afterwards.
You could watch him with amazement figuring out exactly how he did/does it (i still don't have a clue) but it is a method used in video above.

He also said he can break into a car faster using his new key blank, file, smoke method then trying any other method (clothes hanger, metal tools down the glass, and so on) and after seeing him do it, I believe him.
It said the double sided keys take about twice as long do make.

The way I've always done it is to remove the back seat. Take a small flat screwdriver that has a 4 foot (1.25 meter) reach, and a flashlight. Take the screwdriver into the latch and turn counter-clockwise and the trunk will open right up. Then take the latch off then lock cylinder.
From there you can replace with a new lock cylinder, take existing lock cylinder to a locksmith to get new keys made or to get re-keyed to new lock pin set.
BudW

Back